Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2022, 02:55 PM   #1
P_D

Small hole in skylight

I have a crank up skylight in over the murphy bed in our Mini-Lite. While camping this week, we had hours of torrential rain, and consequently we discovered the plastic sky light has a small crack/hole in the forward edge. It’s about 3/4” long and and an 1/8” high. I taped the area liberally with duct tape and this stopped the leak, even though we had another six inches of rain over the next four days.

The plastic is attached with rivets, and it appears like I would have to replace the whole thing rather than the cracked component, so I’d prefer to repair it.
I don’t ever open this skylight. I don’t care what it looks like. I only want it to keep out the rain. I’d be happy with leaving the tape on permanently but this doesn’t seem like a long-term solution.

Can I patch this hole with a bead of JB Weld or an epoxy? I have JB Weld, Waterweld and Loctite Plastix on hand and time to fool with it this weekend, so I’d like to be able to use one of these products. But if I need a special RV epoxy or a different product, I can wait, leave the tape in place and order it on Amazon.

Recommendations?
P_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 03:13 PM   #2

If it is the same as the one I had to replace on my rig, the plastic will be so brittle and oxidized that you will just keep chasing that hole/crack forever. I would advise replacing the dome. Mine wasn't expensive or hard to replace.
Old 06-11-2022, 05:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladin Sane View Post
If it is the same as the one I had to replace on my rig, the plastic will be so brittle and oxidized that you will just keep chasing that hole/crack forever. I would advise replacing the dome. Mine wasn't expensive or hard to replace.
I agree. Mine acquired a hole, and when I went to replace it the plastic was a brittle and weak as could be. I replace with with this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tags
light, skylight