Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2019, 06:34 PM   #1

Spray 9 on rubber roofs

Does anyone use spray 9 to clean the roof? I’m concerned whether or not it may harm the rubber. I tried Protect All and it hardly does anything. I then tried Spray Nine and it worked a lot better. I was thinking of cleaning first with the Spray Nine and then go over it with the protect All to utilize the protection. Although if the protection works as poorly as the cleaner, I may be wasting my time.
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:00 PM   #2

I've never used Spray 9, but I can comment on Protectall. In our neck of the woods, the Protectall found at Wally World that is in a spray bottle is used mostly as a UV protectant for plastics and fiberglass. Others use it as a slide seal conditioner. There is a Protectall Rubber Roof Cleaner that actually works pretty well if you keep it moist, let it set a few minutes, and use a soft bristled scrub brush. I use Aerospace 303 as a protectant on my rubber roof, but there are other choices. Dawn dish soap and water work pretty well as a rubber roof cleaner as does the Tetford cleaner products made for rubber roofs.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:10 PM   #3

I'm a huge advocate for Protectall Rubber Roof cleaner followed by the separate conditioner. Been using it for years and my roof still looks new and very white. I've convinced most of my friends to use it and they all love it. I've only had a few stains that I had to use a brush on, the rest just wipes off with a sponge.
I'm surprised to hear it not working for someone. Makes me wonder what type of roof it is and what happened to it.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:27 PM   #4
Coach

Protectall is a two step process utilizing the cleaner on the first step and protectant on the second. Sounds like the op may be going straight to the protectant step which will not clean the roof. Not well anyway.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:32 PM   #5

cleaning rubber roof.

I use a product called Charlies soap to clean the whole camper. Google it and you'll find the cheapest place to buy. I buy 2 gallons at a time which will last me 3 to 4 years. You will almost believe you waxed the camper when your done. I echo the man that said use 303 Aerospace on the roof it works for everything on your camper roof,seals sidewalls, end caps best I ver used in 45 years. Dale
djreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyduo View Post
Protectall is a two step process utilizing the cleaner on the first step and protectant on the second. Sounds like the op may be going straight to the protectant step which will not clean the roof. Not well anyway.
That is what I have done. Oops. When I bought it I asked for a cleaner and this is what I got. I thought it was an all in one product. I’ve got some protect all cleaner coming now. Thanks.
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinduff View Post
That is what I have done. Oops. When I bought it I asked for a cleaner and this is what I got. I thought it was an all in one product. I’ve got some protect all cleaner coming now. Thanks.
Thanks for the reply. I was worried that ProtectAll had changed it's product. You will be pleasantly surprised.
There are numerous videos about the process, this is one:
I do my roof once a year, sometimes twice. It looks great, and there is no roof chalking.
Hopefully, since you have put the conditioner on first, it will not affect the cleaner effectiveness. Let us know.
Happy RVing!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #8

Wet & Forget!

Spray it on, preferably notin the right sun. Let it dry and literally forget it. Rain activates it and over a period of weeks, reactivates at each rain and will clean your rubber roof. No morescrubbing or trying ti walk/crawl on t slippery roof.
I will continue to work for three or more months
Old 09-02-2019, 07:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinduff View Post
Does anyone use spray 9 to clean the roof? I’m concerned whether or not it may harm the rubber. I tried Protect All and it hardly does anything. I then tried Spray Nine and it worked a lot better. I was thinking of cleaning first with the Spray Nine and then go over it with the protect All to utilize the protection. Although if the protection works as poorly as the cleaner, I may be wasting my time.
In my opinion, the best all around cleaner for ANYTHING in the RV is Simple Green. No I don't own stock in the stuff, I just like it and it is environemtally safe. Good for the roof down to the tires. You control the strength when you get the concentrate. If you have a really bad roof then go to walmart and get a rubber/vinal roof cleaner, just make sure you wash the sides of the RV because it can leave streaks.
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof