Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2019, 07:32 PM   #21

Pictures

Mobile Welding
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190913_141705.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	340.5 KB
ID:	214918  
BaltimoreMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:03 PM   #22

If I were you, I would contact Lippert and have them come out and do their official "fix". There is a PDF document on the web that has the drawing for it.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:21 PM   #23
Retired Old Fart

"Spread Axle" is where you have a equalizer that is 14 5/8" wide. The axles are further apart than standard spacing. A number of Forest River lines have spread axle units in their floorplans.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreMark View Post
Wanted to close the loop. The forum has been VERY helpful. Got a local high end RV guy to send his mobile welding unit to the campground, they welded the hanger back to the frame. It was enough so I could tow my TT to their shop 6 miles away. They followed me to make sure I was ok. Their shop welded a thicker L piece to the frame, and re did the hanger weld. Completely painted the frame and patched the coroplast under the RV. They checked the other side of the trailer and it seemed ok. Said to wire brush and paint with Por15 to prevent more rust.

Extremely professional job, very nice people, knowledgeable. John and Justin Cherry of Evolution Custom Coach, White Haven, PA. I'll be heading back to Maryland tomorrow morning.

Thanks Brendan for the Info and contacts at Lippert, I'll contact them tomorrow and see if I can get reimbursed for their poor frame welding.

Hello!!! His name was Cherry.... what else did you expect?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:07 PM   #25
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Mobile Welding
I know you don't want to hear it but that weld is not too good. For one it looks as though the slag was not removed with a chipping hammer and it definitely was not scrubbed with a wire brush. There wasn't enough reinforcement installed. If the other parts of the weld looks like what we can see in the photo there is a chance that it may start cracking before you get home. That weld is what we call chicken poop. It may look good to an untrained eye but it is definitely not a good weld. Just take care not to hit pot holes and when making turns from one street to another. Keep an eye on it. Overhead welds are the hardest welds to make. A good weld will not break, the base metal along side the weld will.

I have attached a copy of your photo with the problem circled and a line showing where the next crack will form.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190913_141705a.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	628.4 KB
ID:	214993  
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #26

Weld

That picture is the Temp weld to get me to their shop. He welded an L piece of 1/2 inch steel to reinforce the I beam. Don't have a picture of that.
BaltimoreMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:27 AM   #27

Bad weld

Looks like a bad weld with a “stick” welder. Not enough heat. Mig would be easier when upside down.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kf4mnc View Post
Yes. Friday afternoon on Easter weekend 500 miles from home. (After having to have truck DEF tank worked on during the week while visiting Savanna, GA) Called a bunch of places and finally found a mobile trailer/semi repair shop that I limped to who temporarily welded it up. Then we were on our way.

Oh and my wife was 7 months pregnant.

IMO a design or mfg defect. File a complaint with NHTSA. You will need the VIN of the RV.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Next in March 2022 Tuscon AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:22 PM   #29

I worked for a manufacturer of truck frames and chassis. Big trucks. Spring hangers were riveted on not welded. I remember engineering telling us that is was against good engineering practice to weld across the frame. No vertical welds on a frame, and we could only weld lengthwise on the frame so as not to weaken the frame all the way across it. This picture shows the weld intact and the frame material pulled loose where it was weakened from being welded. Welding can do all sorts of things to the frame material if not done correctly, with the correct filler material ect. I think the weld area was thin and the spring hanger was stronger than the frame material which may have been weakened by the weld process, causing it to crack, then rust and break loose. A good repair would be to box that section of the frame so that its strong enough to weld the hanger to. A better solution would be to have it done correctly in the first place.

RockinH Bill
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2014 Shadow LQ 3 horse select
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 concourshttps://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/images/smilies/roflblack.gif
Rockinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
what's a spread axle?
Most multiple axle trailers use a common point in the center to attach the front and rear springs. A spread axle usually has a little more distance between the front and rear axle, when this is done there is no common point and each axle has its own set of mounting brackets front at rear. Because the axles are further apart this puts a lot of stress on this connection points when making tight backing turns. The positive is this does help with disbursing the trailer load, tows a little nicer.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipatroller View Post
Most multiple axle trailers use a common point in the center to attach the front and rear springs. A spread axle usually has a little more distance between the front and rear axle, when this is done there is no common point and each axle has its own set of mounting brackets front at rear. Because the axles are further apart this puts a lot of stress on this connection points when making tight backing turns. The positive is this does help with disbursing the trailer load, tows a little nicer.
Most spread axle trailers I see still have equalizers. They are just really long!

Here is an example of an aftermarket one made for spread axles
https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Compo...y&sr=8-1-spell

Here is a normal one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dexter-42-S...-/292969426830
Old 09-19-2019, 09:32 PM   #32

Forest River axle hanger failure

I can remember from welding many, many axles from the hammer blow Corp that mfg these axles that they specified the only way to weld hangers to the frame is to NOT weld 100% around the hanger. Stay away from the corners at least 3/8”on the front and back welds on each side and at least 1/2” on the inner and outer corners of both sides. Welding completely around the hanger 100% causes the metal to lose integrity and to fail prematurely on both the hanger and mostly on the frame. As a past Mfg owner making hundreds of pull type trailers from small utility trailers to semi tankers, we never in over 50 years had any axle hangers fail like we are seeing on these campers nowadays. At one time I tried to convince this manufacturer about this but you know that it is difficult to accept someone else’s opinion, even from the axle mfg company. They don’t want to accept the responsibility. Good luck to all and happy travels.
Sgstepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:18 PM   #33

Quote:
3 year old Surveyor 200MBLE with 8000 miles. Went to change a tire that was wearing on the outside and when I jacked up the RV, the spring Hanger was no longer attached to the frame. Showed a local RV repair guy some pictures and he verified the frame weld cracked where it attached to the hanger. It is undriveable and I'm stuck at Hickory Run SP in PA. There is rust on the frame around the hanger and a hole in the frame. I'll be calling my dealership tomorrow. Anyone else have this issue? Will Forrest River or Lippert repair this defect, my RV is a 2017, bought it new. Any suggestions?
\I think this may be just a bit more common with the surveyor then other units . A friend of mine this summer had same issue , not only hanger came off but cracks in frame above where hanger was welded . local welder says the frame metal is to thin for the weight of the TT . this is not a wide spread axle . Lippert is building frames not suited for the TT their building on them .. all of these should be reported . FR you would think would know if the frames are substandard and or not the correct weight rating for what their building on top . these kind of things can get people killed but hay they saved a buck .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #34

Lippert frame cracks and spring hanger seperation

Quote:
3 year old Surveyor 200MBLE with 8000 miles. Went to change a tire that was wearing on the outside and when I jacked up the RV, the spring Hanger was no longer attached to the frame. Showed a local RV repair guy some pictures and he verified the frame weld cracked where it attached to the hanger. It is undriveable and I'm stuck at Hickory Run SP in PA. There is rust on the frame around the hanger and a hole in the frame. I'll be calling my dealership tomorrow. Anyone else have this issue? Will Forrest River or Lippert repair this defect, my RV is a 2017, bought it new. Any suggestions?
Lippert has repair information and repair kits to solve the problem, I tried to download it but it wont let me. Google Heartland owners lippert cracked frame:
Lippert Components, Inc. Informational Publication LIP Sheet ...
manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/Exterior...
kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:53 PM   #35

They don't sell kits at all. They just have a recommendation on what metal to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraut View Post
Lippert has repair information and repair kits to solve the problem, I tried to download it but it wont let me. Google Heartland owners lippert cracked frame:
Old 09-21-2019, 01:23 AM   #36

From what I can see, it looks like the frame metal it's self broke. This let the hanger flop down, you need to get the dealer or manufacturer to check that fix out. Yes on one side of the weld did brake, but the frame beam was cracked down the middle, the frame is made of defective metal and it's still under there. NO doubt its better now than before the repair, but you really need to have it looked at by your dealer or the manufacture.
trustyrusty436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:00 AM   #37

The spring mount failure has been going on for a long time. I had a big problem on my 2000 Montana. Broke the rear spring mount on the right side. It let the tires move together and touch causing quite a bit of smoke. I was able to block the spring and limp it to a shop to get it welded. I reinforced the whole suspension by gusseting in front and behind the supports, then welding in 2 inch square tube between the supports to the supports and the frame. Held up for the years I ran the trailer. Now I look at my Crusader setup, and it looks pretty wimpy. I regularly inspect the mounts for cracks in the welds. I had heard that the Montana's had a recall back in those days. With the condition of our roadways today, I'm sure this is a more common problem than one would think.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustyrusty436 View Post
From what I can see, it looks like the frame metal it's self broke. This let the hanger flop down, you need to get the dealer or manufacturer to check that fix out. Yes on one side of the weld did brake, but the frame beam was cracked down the middle, the frame is made of defective metal and it's still under there. NO doubt its better now than before the repair, but you really need to have it looked at by your dealer or the manufacture.
X2. the problem lies with the frame metal being to weak to begin with . same with my friends . cracks in the frame not only where the spring hangers were welded but also cracks away from that area . lippert used I-beams to thin and weak to carry the load
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraut View Post
Here it is
https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...e%20Cracks.pdf

I have been proactive on mine and welded the metal between the opposing spring hangers. I have not added the gussets yet. If you have spread axles, this is what I would be doing ahead of time.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #40

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

There appears to be quite a bit of rust on the interior of the frame tube. How does one prevent this? Does anybody "Ziebart" their frames by adding a rust preventative to the inside?

On edit that looks like an "I" beam. Still has a lot of rust between the hanger and frame.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame