Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
JGB

Angry Steps Not Operating

I have a 2018 Isata 5 36DS and checking on it in storage I discovered that the steps did not lower when I opened the door. I didn't have time to investigate but does anyone have an idea where I should start looking since the manual didn't provide much help...
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Did everything else 12 volt work?
Old 05-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
JGB

Since it was on shore power I only assume everything was working through the inverter...
Old 05-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #4

First place I'd look is to see if the battery is dead and check the connections to the battery.

Steps usually run on battery and if your battery is in a low state of charge or the connections are corroded or not tight, it won't matter if you are plugged in or not, the steps won't work...
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #5
JGB

Thanks,

I will check the batteries but I am almost certain the batteries are fully charged since everything was working less than three weeks earlier, the unit is less than a year old so I doubt that there is corrosion but I will check for that also. It is under warranty but with an eight week backlog for service I have found it easier to take care of minor problems myself.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:37 AM   #6

Do your steps normally operate automatically when you open the door of your coach?If it’s not your batteries most units like this have a manual over ride switch to turn them off... Check and see if that switch is off.

Another place to check is to see if you have a battery kill switch, if you do make sure that batteries are on...
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #7
JGB

I have always assumed that a switch is off somewhere, although when I left the unit the steps auto retracted when I closed the door. We have been have an extraordinary amount of rain this spring and I haven't had a decent day to investigate the problem and this weekend doesn't look any better. I know the battery disconnect switch is on because it appears everything is working and the batteries show charged, hopefully we can get a break in the weather and get into it a little more. We have the unit in temporary covered storage while I am building a permanent home for it and the rain has us nearly three month behind schedule. Thanks for the comment, once the problem is solved I will post the magical solution.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGB View Post
I have always assumed that a switch is off somewhere, although when I left the unit the steps auto retracted when I closed the door. We have been have an extraordinary amount of rain this spring and I haven't had a decent day to investigate the problem and this weekend doesn't look any better. I know the battery disconnect switch is on because it appears everything is working and the batteries show charged, hopefully we can get a break in the weather and get into it a little more. We have the unit in temporary covered storage while I am building a permanent home for it and the rain has us nearly three month behind schedule. Thanks for the comment, once the problem is solved I will post the magical solution.

I’ve had a problem with my steps after a period of not using coach. Found out after plugging in for awhile steps work fine. Found out if battery voltage drops steps don’t work. Charge batteries to see if it cures problem.
EdFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #9

Mine stopped working Friday, killed a camping trip because they won't retract. I called Lippert and they were very helpful. Now, between rain storms, I've verified power, lockout switch and tested the door switch. As soon as the rain slows and I don't have to swim under the coach, I'll apply 12 volts to the motor to see if it works. Down to the motor or the control unit. Fortunately the steps are pretty straight forward in their wiring.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGB View Post

Confused . first post you stated they did not operate , "come down" but in this post you say they retracted when you closed the door ???
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Confused . first post you stated they did not operate , "come down" but in this post you say they retracted when you closed the door ???
Yes, you are confused. The OP said the steps retracted when stored and now will not extend.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Yes, you are confused. The OP said the steps retracted when stored and now will not extend.
checking on it in storage I discovered that the steps did not lower when I opened the door.
, although when I left the unit the steps auto retracted when I closed the door.
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
checking on it in storage I discovered that the steps did not lower when I opened the door.
, although when I left the unit the steps auto retracted when I closed the door.
The OP does not understand how the step works. He mentioned that he thought there was a switch somewhere and continued "although when I left the unit the steps auto retracted when I closed the door". Intimating that a switch evidently did not prevent the steps from retracting when stored.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote