Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #1

"Stuff" falling from ceiling vent?????

Hi folks, I have a 2006 Flagstaff 831RLSS.
There are 6 ceiling vents.
I am getting a lot of what looks like beads of insulation falling from one in the bedroom. (Had a little from all of them the first time I saw it. Now pretty much from that one vent.)
It also has a little bit of black suff in it.
I did notice that it has almost stopped after the Fourth of July trip.
Any ideas?
Thanks a ton!
Jack
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
CampeRooo

I had the same thing coming down out of my light fixtures in my 2k Roo. I wound up unscrewing the lights from the ceiling and putting some calking in the gap between the ceiling and the roof to seal in the insulation and stop them from falling into the light fixtures. So far so good.

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #3

Jack,
First of all, welcome to the forum. What you are seeing is some of the styro foam insulation from when the ducts for the AC were cut out. It is normal and will in time stop.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
CampeRooo

Ohh, oops. Sorry guys, I missed the fact that it was an a/c vent. I forget that these new trailers have a/c and heat vents on the ceiling now instead of the floors.

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #5

Actually there is a little bit of the stuff in some of the light fixtures too. Now I know how to seal them.
Thanks to both of you that have replied.
What is funny is that I had it for 4 years before it happened.
Thanks again!
JAck
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
Cyber Phrenologist

Happened to us the day we picked up the trailer. We planned a week long trip back home so we just bought some cheesecloth and blue painters tape. Then we made little "filters" over each vent to catch the Styrofoam beads that blew out each time the A/C was turned on. By the time we got home they were all blown out of the system.

Didn't mind sweeping them up off the floors but having them in bed with us was a bit annoying.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #7

Did a mouse get in there ? They make real mess when the do, it looks like it snowed all over they camper .That also explain the little black specks (yuck)
Old 07-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't had any styrofoam beads blow out of my AC outlets, but several of those pesky foreign ladybugs. There was hundreds of them under & behind my AC & tire covers this spring.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #9

Hi Jack,
You have a visiting mouse or chipmunk in your ceiling maze. In my case they got in through the sewer hose race (about 4" circular). The race runs on the outside beginning under the coach near the front of the sewer bay to a hole in the bottom of the sewer bay near the back of the bay. Someone here said there was supposed to be a cap on the exterior end under the bay door. I had no cap (allowing entry) so I blocked this tunnel on the other end where it enters the interior of the sewer bay. One of my Chippie's finally died of starvation and I found him one day on the bay floor. At least he didn't die somewhere up in the ceiling maze.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
What you are seeing is some of the styro foam insulation from when the ducts for the AC were cut out. It is normal and will in time stop.
Agreed. On our unit, the duct work is the Styrofoam insulation. Looks like maybe 3 layers of Styrofoam.....1 solid sheet on the ceiling, next is the "ducted" sheet, and then a solid sheet next to the roof.

After 1 1/2 years of camping, our AC still blows "snow" sometimes.....that is a good thing, right ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
The Old Man

Rodents could definitely be a possibility, but when we were being shown our 2010 Flagstaff which was in the dealer's showroom we asked the salesman to turn on the AC so we could hear how loud the unit was. He was embarrassed when styrofoam came out of every duct...I think it was the first time the unit had ever been turned on. Actually, we all had a good laugh. I'm still getting a flake or two coming down from time to time.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
Computer Guy

I was thinking of putting a screen or something up there. they always blow out after we setup and vacuum and clean everything. maybe we need to start the AC before using the vacuum.

Really bothers me when it blows in my bed!

2019 Coachman Chaparral Lite 295BH

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 5.9 Diesel
Jimmy-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:07 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
After 1 1/2 years of camping, our AC still blows "snow" sometimes.....that is a good thing, right ??
2 years now of pretty heavy use for a camper. Still get a few "flakes" on AC startup.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #14

Ants

We had the small pieces showing up in our last TT. In the lights and then under the dinette seats. Well it turned out to be ants. What a chore it was to get them all out. We fought with them for several weeks. I ended up putting several of the bug bombs inside. I first had to remove any bedding,cushions, pillows, all the cook ware and then shoot it off. Waited a few days and I had dead ants allover. Then I had to wash down everything only to find there were still more. Repeated the process and finally they were gone. I hope you dont have this issue. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:04 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmdfm View Post
We had the small pieces showing up in our last TT. In the lights and then under the dinette seats. Well it turned out to be ants. What a chore it was to get them all out. We fought with them for several weeks. I ended up putting several of the bug bombs inside. I first had to remove any bedding,cushions, pillows, all the cook ware and then shoot it off. Waited a few days and I had dead ants allover. Then I had to wash down everything only to find there were still more. Repeated the process and finally they were gone. I hope you dont have this issue. Good luck.
YIKES! I sure hope not! The bits were under the vents, so I sure hope its just construction bits slowly tumbling through the vent structure and not ANTS!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

The 1st time that I used my AC, I thought that thing was really blowing cold air, because it was snowing inside.

But the "snow" didn't melt, so I had to clean up the mess.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote