Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #1

Sunseeker 3170DS Roof Maintenance?

Just took possession of a 2013 3170DS, since the roof is fiberglass is there any PM needed year to year? Thanks...
Old 12-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #2

I just keep it clean and inspect all seams and use Dicor when ever needed. You could wax but if damp becomes very slippery!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #3

Just for reference, we have a 2010 3170DS that had 10K miles on it and was stored inside it's entire life. Took it in to my RV guy and he said the roof had several spots where the Dicor was splitting/thin, mainly around the skylight and vents. We decided to re-seal the entire roof.
knockando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:15 AM   #4

Ok, what is Dicor and how is it applied and to where? The roof is fiberglass and was tooted to us as maintenance free (sales talk I'm sure). Thanks.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #5

You want Dicor Lap Sealant. It is used around anything that comes through the roof. You have not been up there yet have you? When you do you will see where the Dicor is used. Just like caulking at your sticks and bricks, only Dicor will flow out smooth. Remember there is no such thing as Maintenance Free. Just a catch to make you think there is nothing to do.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #6

LTR, if you ask a dozen of us how we maintain the roof, you'll get a dozen different answers. Take notice of what everyone advises, and form your own procedures.
On your rig you probably have close to 100 feet of seams where the roof meets the sides and where it meets the front and rear caps, and where everything is attached to or pokes up through the roof. All need to be checked on a regular basis, and maintained. A small 1 inch gap can let in a lot of water.
I get up and give the roof on our Lexi ( fiberglass ) a good cleaning at least twice a year. I just use auto soap, bucket, soft bristle brush on a mop handle, and just scrub it down. Crud Cutter takes care of the nastier stains. I do not wax as I'm up there to much, and wax will make it very slippery when wet, and its a long way down.
I also, after each trip, get up there and spray off any leaves, pine needles, ect. that have found there way into all the nooks n crannies around vents, ac unit.
As for checking the seams, and repairing any cracks in the caulking, you can put new caulk over old, IF ITS CLEAN. Caulk will get dirty over time, and cracks in the caulk will eventually let water in. I clean the old caulk with mineral spirits, let it dry, and then go over it with acetone which gets rid of any residue.
Dicor is probably the best stuff out that is readily available. Two types, lap sealant which is good for vertical surfaces, and self leveling for flat surfaces, like around the vents, sunlight, fridge vent, and edge seems.
It is a bit of work, but if you want a leak free rig it must be done. There is no such thing as "maintaince free" when your talking about rv's
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #7

Thanks for the comprehensive information, we will surely look into roof maintenance.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:05 PM   #8

We use Armor All wash & wax . No way I'd be on a wet sunseeker roof.

Tags
3170, maintenance, roo, roof, sunseeker