Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2020, 12:47 AM   #1

Teflon liquid for exterior locks.

Three years ago I used actual Dupont Teflon liquid in all my exterior locks. It worked amazingly well, then I re-applied a year later even though they still felt slippery.

That second application was two years ago and the locks are still mighty slippery to insert the key and turn. Feels like they were lubed yesterday. Best lube I've ever used in a lock. Works better and lasts much longer than anything else I've ever tried (including graphite). And yes, I use the RV a lot. 72,000 miles in 4 1/2 years. Probably 60 to 90 days every year. ( I highly recommend retirement as a career!)
Old 07-18-2020, 12:49 AM   #2

There are many dry lubes that use PTFE. I use them on my bicycles and locks. Tri-Flow is another good one.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:48 PM   #3

I'm aware of lubricants that "contain PTFE" (Teflon) like Triflow. I've used it myself. Just to clarify, it was 100% Teflon liquid that my post referred to. It far surpassed anything else I've ever used in locks.

Teflon is Dupont's trade name for PTFE, Polytetrafluoroethylene. It was invented by a Dupont employee in 1938. According to Wikipedia, they were experimenting with Tetrafluoroethylene gas and to their great shock the stored gas polymerized and turned into a white powder. Another accidental discovery!

I've also been using PTFE in my engines for decades. I use Tufoil additive which is in the Guinness Book of World Records as the Worlds Most Efficient Lubricant. It was tested by them in 1996 and still holds that record. Been driving for 45 years and have never had an engine wear out....

Sorry - lubrication is a hobby of mine....
Old 07-24-2020, 09:18 PM   #4

Did you use the Dupont multi use lubricant?
Old 07-24-2020, 09:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Just to clarify, it was 100% Teflon liquid that my post referred to. It far surpassed anything else I've ever used in locks.
would you please share the brand name?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob5560g View Post
I've also been using PTFE in my engines for decades. I use Tufoil additive which is in the Guinness Book of World Records as the Worlds Most Efficient Lubricant. It was tested by them in 1996 and still holds that record. Been driving for 45 years and have never had an engine wear out....
Weren't there a whole bunch of lawsuits against them and Slick50?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:55 PM   #7

About 10 years ago a friend who is a multi-generational locksmith recommended Ballistol for all lock lubrication needs. He's taken apart countless failed locks over the past 30 years that were gummed up with all kinds of traditional and 'safe' new style lubricants. He never encountered this problem with customers he 'sold' on Ballistol. It lost him service calls, but he had more than enough work to make up for it.

I then started using it in all the locks around our oceanfront seasonal rental, especially upon spring opening after being closed up/unused all winter. We never had a lock 'freeze up" again.

I'm sold on the stuff. It's an excellent gun cleaner/lubricant, but I have other favorites for that purpose.
Baumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:02 PM   #8

I see you are in California...how cold does it get where you live?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baumeister View Post
About 10 years ago a friend who is a multi-generational locksmith recommended Ballistol for all lock lubrication needs. He's taken apart countless failed locks over the past 30 years that were gummed up with all kinds of traditional and 'safe' new style lubricants. He never encountered this problem with customers he 'sold' on Ballistol. It lost him service calls, but he had more than enough work to make up for it.

I then started using it in all the locks around our oceanfront seasonal rental, especially upon spring opening after being closed up/unused all winter. We never had a lock 'freeze up" again.

I'm sold on the stuff. It's an excellent gun cleaner/lubricant, but I have other favorites for that purpose.
If it gets below zero I would give it a try. I don't doubt it works in costal areas without a deep freeze but I have been burned by using oils/grease on locks in the winter here. They litterally freeze. They work great again once thawed or you spray some lock deicer in them but then you must relube them.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:43 AM   #9

Ah, the coastal beach house is on Fire Island, NY, where it gets down in the single digits every winter with constant winds off the ocean and salt spray. Uninsulated, closed down for the winter, several outbuildings with padlocks exposed to the weather, both keyed and combination. It gets closed up in late October and not opened until April. Sometimes later/earlier for both.
it's usually a lock that hasn't been operated in several months in those conditions.
I've only had to open a frozen lock a few times, the issues I've had were mostly with padlocks, where it was easy to apply heat to resolve the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I see you are in California...how cold does it get where you live?If it gets below zero I would give it a try. I don't doubt it works in costal areas without a deep freeze but I have been burned by using oils/grease on locks in the winter here. They litterally freeze. They work great again once thawed or you spray some lock deicer in them but then you must relube them.
Baumeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior, lock