Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2022, 03:39 PM   #1

Time to Re-caulk on Roof...Best Method?

Here's a pic of my Dicor sealant (I assume the factory originally used Dicor) that is around my fiberglass roof intrusions such as A/C, vents, fans, antenna, etc. The tiny cracks don't appear to be deep but they are numerous at this point...my unit is going on about 5 years old and has never been recaulked.

I will admit to smearing some silicone on the Dicor in very small amounts in some places in the past when I'd see a small hole in the caulk that worried me.

All of the Dicor is still firmly on the fiberglass surface...not peeling up...and doesn't appear in bad shape other than the surface cracking as shown.

What's my best pro-active fix on this that is a do-it-yourself project? I'm wondering if cleaning the Dicor first (with what?) and either applying wide Eternabond tape over the Dicor OR can I use a product like Lexel and sort of smear that over the top of the Dicor and not cause a negative reaction to either?

I don't want to spend hours doing something wrong so all opinions with experience are appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dicor Cracking.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	280092  

OTR 2023-29 / 2022-52 / 2021-51
2020-29 / 2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Moved thread from the General Community Discussion section to the Exterior Maintenance/Roofs/Vents sub-forum since the OP's questions are specific to that area of the Forum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:09 PM   #3

My belief is that silicon, lexel,.... on the roof is not a good option. Dicor is the way to go. With that said I would start the process of putting EtrnaBond tape of many if not most of the places on the roof and skip the Dicor touch up all together.

FYI Dicor needs 28 days to fully cure before putting something over it. So if you going to do eternal bond, don't touch up first.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:00 PM   #4

So what would you use to clean the Dicor before laying down the Eternabond tape?

Old 10-05-2022, 09:12 PM   #5

I used denatured alcohol to clean everything before taping with Eternabond. It's been a couple years and still looks like I just did it..
1100mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:36 PM   #6

This topic comes up alot.

I've used eternabond for small repairs but prefer touching up roof seams with Dicor self leveling lapsealant.

It's easy to do and keeps it looking original.

I've seen a few units on the dealer lot where the previous owners went overboard using eternabond. All I can say is if your going to use it widespread, apply it only where it can be seen from the top.

This instructional video shows how use Dicor self leveling lap sealant.

https://youtu.be/iXUcBdVnhwI

Sent from my SM-A505U1 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 11:45 PM   #7

eternabond 100% fix

Maybe you can read my old post: I have detailed post titled "Eternabond Tape Roof Install with photos"

12/21/21

Never need to look at the roof again, or the sides...

well, Once a year maybe, but no more fixing or worrying.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...os-244498.html

...not pretty, but stops the cracking.

Heat gun can get the tape off Ive heard, hope to never find out.
Treybecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:48 AM   #8

I will take the other side of the argument. I would go with Lexel over the Dicor. Lexel is not silicone, and it is a much newer technology higher performance sealant compared to Dicor.

I haven't had opportunity to use Lexel on our camper yet except for around the outdoor speakers when I upgraded those over the OEM junkers 3 years ago. The Lexel I put around those looks like I did it yesterday, no discernable degradation at all. I've used a lot of Lexel in Non-RV use, and it simply is about the best you can get. It just works, and lasts forever.

I would just clean the dicor with soap and water, and rinse well, and let it dry. The Lexel will stick to nearly anything, so not a lot of prep is required.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
I will take the other side of the argument. I would go with Lexel over the Dicor. Lexel is not silicone, and it is a much newer technology higher performance sealant compared to Dicor.

I haven't had opportunity to use Lexel on our camper yet except for around the outdoor speakers when I upgraded those over the OEM junkers 3 years ago. The Lexel I put around those looks like I did it yesterday, no discernable degradation at all. I've used a lot of Lexel in Non-RV use, and it simply is about the best you can get. It just works, and lasts forever.

I would just clean the dicor with soap and water, and rinse well, and let it dry. The Lexel will stick to nearly anything, so not a lot of prep is required.
Lexel may be fine.

On vertical surfaces I use Proflex RV caulk

Both the Dicor Self Leveling Sealant for horizontal surfaces and Proflex are what my dealer stocks and uses in their shop. Both can be bought on Amazon and Camping World which are almost everywhere

Old 10-06-2022, 10:53 AM   #10
Pseudonym

Eternabond everything and never worry about it again.
BrandonSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 11:39 AM   #11
D W

The problem with using silicone based sealants is that once it cures nothing will stick to it. It has to be removed and that can be a PITA.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 11:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
The problem with using silicone based sealants is that once it cures nothing will stick to it. It has to be removed and that can be a PITA.

Absolutely true. Lexel is not a silicone based sealant.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 01:22 PM   #13

As the OP, thanks to all who jumped in. The easiest and possibly least expensive effort would be cleaning the existing Dicor (soap and water is enough?) and then run some beads of Lexel on top of the existing Dicor and sort of lightly smooth it over...maybe with a paint scrapper type tool.

But I just phoned Lexel (Sashco) customer service and they just confirmed the combo of Lexel on top of the Dicor would be fine and a longterm fix (based on the Dicor not peeling up from the roof.) They even mentioned a companion product they make called Through the Roof! that can be brushed on which would be even better for coating the old Dicor.

Though I have a roll of the Eternabond I've never used and can see how that would also do the job, I'm concerned that it will appear as more of a patch repair putting it over the existing Dicor that is probably already 1/8-1/4" thick and not perfectly flat in places based on their application.

Adding more Dicor on top of the existing Dicor would make it now much thicker and a bigger PITA should it need to be completely removed and freshly done in the future.

Any other considerations I'm missing here? I need to get to work while our weather is perfect for this chore.

Old 10-06-2022, 01:30 PM   #14

I know that if you just apply dicor it will crack again and again and again... thats just the nature of the beast. So much flexing, etc....

I've never heard of or tried the Lexel approach. I've used it else where, not the roof. Just thinking out loud I wonder if it would also just crack, or what ever over time. At a minimum the Dicor under it would continue to crack and separate. Thats why everyone likes the Eterna bond tape. It seems pretty permanent.

If you try the Lexel make sure you keep updating us every year to let us know how it is lasting.

Jim M.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkRVHog View Post
But I just phoned Lexel (Sashco) customer service and they just confirmed the combo of Lexel on top of the Dicor would be fine and a longterm fix (based on the Dicor not peeling up from the roof.) They even mentioned a companion product they make called Through the Roof! that can be brushed on which would be even better for coating the old Dicor.
Per the Sashco website concerning their product Through the Roof!

Where NOT to Use
Rubber roof membranes such as EPDM, polystyrene insulation or foam, Aquaseal®, Kynar®, Teflon®, polypropylene, polyethylene, silicone, waxes. Plastics not listed should be tested for compatbility before widespread use.

Pretty much every method listed is workable. I like the Lexel approach myself because it still allows me to use a heat gun and lift the Dicor from the roof if I ever need to. It also keeps it from being just big blobs of Dicor. I'm a fan of Eternabond Tape only as an emergency repair process just because it's ugly...LoL...
FarisWheels RV Journeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 01:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkRVHog View Post
As the OP, thanks to all who jumped in.

Adding more Dicor on top of the existing Dicor would make it now much thicker and a bigger PITA should it need to be completely removed and freshly done in the future.

Any other considerations I'm missing here? I need to get to work while our weather is perfect for this chore.
There is a misunderstanding here.

The Dicor self leveling lap sealant will actually add less depth to the existing Dicor and fill in holes or gaps in the process. It self levels.
No smearing with a putty knife is needed nor is putting Lexel on top of new Dicor needed.

Old 10-06-2022, 02:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarisWheels RV Journeys View Post
Per the Sashco website concerning their product Through the Roof!

Where NOT to Use
Rubber roof membranes such as EPDM, polystyrene insulation or foam, Aquaseal®, Kynar®, Teflon®, polypropylene, polyethylene, silicone, waxes. Plastics not listed should be tested for compatbility before widespread use.

Pretty much every method listed is workable. I like the Lexel approach myself because it still allows me to use a heat gun and lift the Dicor from the roof if I ever need to. It also keeps it from being just big blobs of Dicor. I'm a fan of Eternabond Tape only as an emergency repair process just because it's ugly...LoL...
So is it safe for RV roofs? Certainly not those with EPDM roofs. What about TPO? Sounds a little sketchy.

Jim M.
Old 10-06-2022, 03:13 PM   #18

If you start putting lexel on your roof you will be sorry.
Ken-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 03:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-m View Post
If you start putting lexel on your roof you will be sorry.
Are you the bogeyman? Any fact-based experience you'd like to share to back that up? My roof is fiberglass, I phoned the factory who checked their specs to confirm it would easily apply/adhere to the Dicor...and I will now use the same companion product, Through the Roof!, to actually brush this on for solid coverage and getting into the small cracks and along edges of my existing Dicor.

Old 10-06-2022, 03:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
So is it safe for RV roofs? Certainly not those with EPDM roofs. What about TPO? Sounds a little sketchy.

Jim M.
My roof is fiberglass and it will adhere fine to it...but the majority of my Lexel coverage will be on existing Dicor that is still sticking nicely to my roof but has the tiny cracks in the surface that I illustrated in my original photo.

Tags
caulk, roo, roof