Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #1

Tiny holes in my PVC roof

Good afternoon,
I was inspecting the roof of my 6-month-old 2020 Flagstaff 25fbsl (same trailer as the Rockwood 2511) and I saw two tiny (maybe 1/16 of an inch in diameter) holes or dark spots on the roof less than a half inch from the side gutter. If these spots were a bit farther onto the roof, I would cover them with self-leveling Dicor goop. But given that they are so close to the edge, I though I would reach out to the forum to see what you all think I should do.

Thank you
wagraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:39 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Eternabond tape or Alpha's AlphaBond for their TPO roof material. (your roof likely isn't PVC?)

BTW... even though they are 1/2" from the edge, self leveling sealant would still work.

Any idea what made the holes?
Warranty coverage or self inflicted?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:08 PM   #3

Thank you for you insights.
In the piles of brochures that came with the trailer, there are two items that refer to the Dicor PVC Tufflex roofing material.

The holes appear to be the result of installation. They are not tears. Just tiny little holes. I could run it back to Camping World, but I have to wonder if that will be more trouble than it's worth. Just the cost of gasoline will buy the materials I need to do the repair. That is unless you think they need to be aware of this for future reference.
Thanks again for your help.
wagraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:17 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagraf View Post
Thank you for you insights.
In the piles of brochures that came with the trailer, there are two items that refer to the Dicor PVC Tufflex roofing material.

The holes appear to be the result of installation. They are not tears. Just tiny little holes. I could run it back to Camping World, but I have to wonder if that will be more trouble than it's worth. Just the cost of gasoline will buy the materials I need to do the repair. That is unless you think they need to be aware of this for future reference.
Thanks again for your help.
Well, I learned something today... thanks.

In researching, this is what Dicor (the company) says should be used with Tufflex PVC Roofing...
Lap Sealant (502LS) is a self-leveling caulk used to seal screw-type fasteners and termination
moldings, formulated especially for Tufflex roofing.

NOTE: 551LS Non-Leveling Sealant may be more suitable for use on accessories with taller
flanges such as TV antennas, some skylights, etc.

I found several references to buying it on the internet.

If you believe it was done during manufacturing, you bet I'd be getting it documented... BUT... as far as Camping World... well the consensus isn't good.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #5

they'll claim it was not factory and you can't prove it either. I'd just put a dab of Dicor on them and call it good.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:07 PM   #6

Holes

Eternabond works very well and has lasted longer than the Dicor for me. Either will work.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:33 PM   #7

I would just seal them up, they will never claim that under warranty. They will blame you and charge you a whole bunch to do the same as suggested.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:21 PM   #8

Be sure to clean and rinse the spots for best results. Eternabond is the best for spots like you describe. A small spray bottle of soapy detergent to remove industrial fallout, then rinse with a spray bottle of water. Dry good and apply Eternabond for a permanent repair.
Frankiejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:22 AM   #9

Tiny holes

Make sure you don’t feel anything underneath like a staple or screw head. My trailer had multiple small black dots that would have turned into tiny holes if I didn’t address it with my dealer. The one side of the staples were not staying down and coming up thru the outer roof layer. I circled the areas took pictures and sent them to the dealer, an hour an a half away and they sent them to the manufacturer. The dealer repaired the trailer under warranty.
brbarrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof