Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
LIW

to Eternabond or not to Eternabond?

My question is, should i put Eternabond on the front (of the camper roof) and rear ends of the roof to provide additional water protection? I've heard some have done this to protect the more vulnerable parts and seams the roof.

Pertinent information:
-I have a 2014 Freedom Express 21 TQX hybrid. We love the camper and so far have not had water issues (knock on wood, heavily).
-we did have 2 small holes patched with Eternabond and a few small spots recaulked with Dicor when we purchased the camper in 2018 - the roof was not maintained by the previous owner
-i maintain the camper pretty well - clean the roof 1-2 times a year, keep it clean, check the roof, recaulk as needed, etc....
-i'm not a great DIY person, but the high cost of dealerships has forced me to learn a few things, so i can do the minimum, but am nervous about dealing with Eternabond

Thoughts.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RoofBubble.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	245107  
LIW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #2

With our old trailer, I used eternabond on both the front and back main seals. The entire length of both. The roof hadn't been well maintained before we bought it and I suspected that there might a couple small leaks on the front. So I just decided to re seal the entire thing, and since I was up there, might as well do the rear too. Lasted years before I had to redo a couple small sections. Just take your time, clean it really well, and make sure it overlaps the old seal on all edges. Good luck.
2013 Ford F150 SCrew, 5.0L, tow upgrade
Old: 2003 Jayco Kiwi 23D
Jim_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #3
Scoundrel

I've used Dicor and Eternabond tape liberally on the front and rear seals and also other seals around vent covers, the AC unit, antennas, etc.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:10 PM   #4

On our TT we discovered a leak about 6 months after we got the trailer. Turned out to be water leaking around the Dicor on the front roof to cap seal - ran down a screw and into one of the wardrobe cabinets. I cleaned off the factory Dicor and then applied Eternabond to the front seal. A couple months later I finished up by sealing the sides and the back joint as well. All of the factory seals seemed to be drying out & cracking so I felt this was a good approach to preventing future problems.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:26 PM   #5

I've heard a lot of good things about Etherbond and Dicor. I don't have a lot of experience with Dicor and none with Etherbond. My question is, when these products are used and need to be replaced, what is a good process to get the old material off?
Sunseeker16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:49 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
I've heard a lot of good things about Etherbond and Dicor. I don't have a lot of experience with Dicor and none with Etherbond. My question is, when these products are used and need to be replaced, what is a good process to get the old material off?
You will not have to replace Eternabond for 10 years if the Eternabond is properly applied to properly cleaned surface. Dicor on the other hand needs be inspected at least once a year and repaired / replaced as needed.

I applied Eternabond to my TT the first season, 6 years later it still looks like new.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:10 PM   #7

I used eternabond on all roof seams on my 2014 Forester several years ago. I still inspect a couple time a year and never found a concern. With all the roof leak posts, this just provides peace of mind.

Here is a good thread showing mine and others.
Paranoid About Leaks - Eternabond Done
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo....php?p=1508336
Old 12-31-2020, 04:40 PM   #8

Quote:
My question is, when these products are used and need to be replaced, what is a good process to get the old material off?
Quote:
but am nervous about dealing with Eternabond
My experience installing Eternabond back in 2015... https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nce-90060.html

Have you read the eternabond website?
https://www.eternabond.com/articles.asp?id=166

FIRST... why would you NOT want to use Eternabond as preventive maintenance? Dicor has zero warranty... and requires you to inspect multiple times a year.

SECOND... since installing preventive Eternabond in 2015 mine still looks good as of October this year... still no need to contemplate repair/replacement... I will be nearly 80 when the 10 year warranty for Eternabond is up and let someone else worry about it then... At that point the camper will be 11 years old... I understand Eternabond will pull up with application of a heat gun.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:32 PM   #9

Ok, no warranty on Dicor and 10 years on Etherbond. Does anybody know somebody that has applied it themselves and collected on the warranty?

My original question was how to remove Dicor and Etherbond if it needs replaced. If it's just a heat gun that's great.

Thanks for the comments.
Sunseeker16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:08 PM   #10

Voice of experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
Ok, no warranty on Dicor and 10 years on Etherbond. Does anybody know somebody that has applied it themselves and collected on the warranty?

My original question was how to remove Dicor and Etherbond if it needs replaced. If it's just a heat gun that's great.

Thanks for the comments.
This spring I removed and replaced 16 feet of Eternabond. I used a very full putty knife that had previously been used for scraping paint from concrete. The leading edge was rounded and the corners were very round--no danger of cutting the membrane. I used it with a heat gun. Heat with one hand and slide the scraper under with the other. This will remove almost all of the adhesive. Scrub the rest off with mineral spirits. This will leave the surface feeling slightly oily. A quick wipe with rubbing alcohol cleans that up.

Eternabond comes on a roll. It is a sandwich. The back, outside surface is thin white vinyl. The next layer is the adhesive. It is thick, sticky, and remains permanently pliable. The last layer is a thicker clear vinyl. You peel it off to expose the adhesive.

To apply it, you first clean the surface. You can also rough it up a little with a green scrubber or the pad that sometimes comes with it.

Once the adhesive is exposed, if two faces come in touch, you will never get them apart. There's a truck to applying a long strip is to start by only peeling back a few inches. Line up the long strip of unpeeled tape and place the sticky end down. Then on frome hand reaches under and peels the liner while the other holds the tape straight and presses it down. After it's on, roll it down. Eternabond sells an expensive roller but I have used an inexpensive wallpaper seam roller from Lowe's.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:37 PM   #11

I opted to go with Eternabond this summer. I was having to add Dicor twice a year on the front and rear roof seams and got tired of it and the worry that brought me for constant possible leaks.

I opted to remove all of the Dicor and then clean the roof well before applying the Eternabond. I followed the instructions that came with the Eternabond. I had no experience with Eternabond either and was very nervous but it went quite well. I used actual Eternabond and not a knock-off. Things went well enough with my TT that my friend and I removed the Dicor from the roof of his 5er and we cleaned and put Eternabond down instead this summer. So far, so great and I don't feel compelled to be on the roof of the TT constantly checking the status of the Dicor.

Interesting side note: when I took the TT to the RV dealer in August to have a soft spot on the roof checked (it turns out it was just an area where 2 seams in the roof have some flex, thank goodness), the service manager told me I should immediately remove the Eternabond and put Dicor on the roof seams. I declined.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:07 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

As kittlecat mentions do not use a knock-off brand. One knock-off brand is Flex Seal, which if you go to Flex Seal's website and read the information they have you will find their product is "For temporary repairs only".

Shortly after doing my roof I took a piece of Eternabond to Walmart and compared it to the Flex Seal tape. The Flex Seal tapes adhesive layer is 1/3 thinner than that of the Eternabond adhesive layer. Also, the white vinyl surface layer appears to be thinner on the flex seal tape.

So that leaves you with the following question, "Do you want to use a product that states for temporary use or one which has a 10 year warranty?" BTW, you can purchase Eternabond from their website in black, tan or white.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:31 PM   #13

I can only post about my experience and what I have read in this and in other RV forums. The Dicor will shrink as all caulks do eventually and just fall out of a seam because it also loses adhesion. This is why to claim warranty roof failure you have to prove you have maintained the "seals" on the roof joints avery 3 months for the life of the roof. This is a pretty high bar for anyone to prove a roof warranty claim, and only then the warranty covers the cost of the materials used, not the labor to repair damage and reinstall a new roof. So in reality, a failed roof gives you a really large loss even if you have can prove a warranty claim.

Now, in my 5 years of ownership of my RV after using Eternabond as preventive maintenance, I have observed no shrinkage nor loss of adhesion on my DIY installation on my trailer roof. I applied it properly with what I thought was adequate prep work. That prep work included ONLY cleaning and trimming the still adhering factory applied Dicor and the adjacent roof areas. I applied the tape covering over the Dicor, covering it completely and taping over that edge directly to the roof membrane.

I have read at least one report on this forum that Eternabond failed to adhere to the roof after an install. I also recall that most posts after that story where questions from others on the forum about the prep work of that particular install. I don't believe the OP ever responded to the prep questions but I might be wrong. However, what I extracted from that particular thread was that most users of the Eternabond product were satisfied with the performance of it on their RV's after doing proper prep work.

At a cost of maybe a couple of hundred dollars and a 4 to 8 hour install time on the average RV roof with proper prep work, it just does not seem to be a big deal if you choose to use it or not.

Good luck with your decision, as the roof seems to be the single biggest problem area in any RV.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond