Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2016, 11:19 PM   #1

Tree Branch vs. TT Exterior

Traveling on a moonless night in South Texas, I mistakenly turned onto a dark county road leading to an unmarked dead end. In trying to turn around, the upper left side of my fiberglass exterior MicroLite 21FBRS scraped a large dead mesquite tree branch, causing a one square foot hole above a small window. To my surprise, I discovered the exterior is made of very thin fiberglass pressed onto Styrofoam, which is pressed onto thin fiberboard and then a thin interior cellulose material. It didn't take much of an impact to compromise the thin exterior shell. I wonder if a corrugated aluminum exterior is stronger. My question is: Can anyone suggest a temporary patch of the exterior damage before I take the RV in for body work?
Hector517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:21 AM   #2
I go RV'ing not Camping

eternabond tape is what I would probably use. I wouldn't even bother with the repair if it was my trailer, just roll with the eternabond
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector517 View Post
Traveling on a moonless night in South Texas, I mistakenly turned onto a dark county road leading to an unmarked dead end. In trying to turn around, the upper left side of my fiberglass exterior MicroLite 21FBRS scraped a large dead mesquite tree branch, causing a one square foot hole above a small window. To my surprise, I discovered the exterior is made of very thin fiberglass pressed onto Styrofoam, which is pressed onto thin fiberboard and then a thin interior cellulose material. It didn't take much of an impact to compromise the thin exterior shell. I wonder if a corrugated aluminum exterior is stronger. My question is: Can anyone suggest a temporary patch of the exterior damage before I take the RV in for body work?
I would cut a piece of alum. that you can buy at any Lowes or hardware store. Get some either silver back tape or good duct tape and cover and seal that whole. If your just going to repair the hole you don't want any moisture getting in, Which it sounds like your going to do..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:02 AM   #4

You don't mention what year your Microlite is but I highly doubt you want your permanent fix to be a one square foot eternabond patch on the sidewall of a laminated trailer. Witch Doctor has the right idea for the temp repair.

Your sidewall has no fiberboard or cellulose material. Its 1/16" fiberglass (filon) laminated to 1/8" luan plywood laminated to 1" beaded Styrofoam laminated to 1/8" luan plywood, then the interior vinyl wall covering. Somewhere in there is 1"X1" square aluminum tubing.

It seems it did not stand up to the branch very well, but their is a thread going right now where people confirm it will stop a Grizzly Bear

I am sure there are good fiberglass guys around who could repair that hole and almost make the repair invisible, but what about the inside? The correct, and ideal repair method though is to have the entire sidewall replaced at the factory. Do you have insurance on it? Hopefully so. That's what the insurance is for so if you have it use it.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #5

He has a 2014! You and I gave some input a while back when he ask about a "soft floor " in this unit. Youroo! !
Old 12-11-2016, 07:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
He has a 2014! You and I gave some input a while back when he ask about a "soft floor " in this unit. Youroo! !
Thanks, I remember now................I don't remember a lot these days.

What did I do yesterday? Hmmmmmmmmmmm?
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:24 AM   #7

Thanks, everyone. I don't have insurance on my 2014 MicroLite 21FBRS, so I will patch the boo boo with an aluminum square and Eternabond tape on both the inside and outside. This is my first TT and it has been a real learning experience. I think it will become my "ranch satellite office," and I will purchase a new one for more traveling and camping adventures. I now have a much better understanding of TT, and will ask the dealer appropriate questions regarding structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing and interior construction. I truly appreciate the knowledge and experience of this forum's members, and will definitely pay it forward. Onward thru the fog!
Old 12-11-2016, 07:33 AM   #8

A college professor taught me that "the secret to success is to surround yourself with people much smarter than yourself." Thanks guys for all the advice you provide to us novices, greenhorns, and mechanically challenged! Go Dallas Cowboys!
Old 12-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #9

Hector, a while back you said something about buying a Airstream, the trees treat Airstream the same as FR products! The repair will be a "Little " more $$$ though! You can have just as much fun in a FR product ! Youroo! !
Old 12-11-2016, 08:05 AM   #10
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Well one thing we are very fortunate in our area to have a very good RV repair service. Toured there shop earlier this year and I think they could actually build an RV at there facilities. Had a 5er there that got side swiped and they even built a new slide for it and when done the paint was awesome and one would never know it was in an accident. Hope I never have to use them but I will if I have an accident. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector517 View Post
Thanks, everyone. I don't have insurance on my 2014 MicroLite 21FBRS, so I will patch the boo boo with an aluminum square and Eternabond tape on both the inside and outside. This is my first TT and it has been a real learning experience. I think it will become my "ranch satellite office," and I will purchase a new one for more traveling and camping adventures. I now have a much better understanding of TT, and will ask the dealer appropriate questions regarding structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing and interior construction. I truly appreciate the knowledge and experience of this forum's members, and will definitely pay it forward. Onward thru the fog!

You mentioned no insurance?? Not sure about the state you live in but, usually when towing, the trailer is covered by the vehicle/truck insurance. If you have collision on the truck, maybe it's extended to the Microlite too??
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
You mentioned no insurance?? Not sure about the state you live in but, usually when towing, the trailer is covered by the vehicle/truck insurance. If you have collision on the truck, maybe it's extended to the Microlite too??
I hope you are correct about the coverage while towing, I have a lot of trailer Insurance that I need to Dump! Youroo! !
Old 12-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Maybe not everywhere, but only liability coverage, not collision, is extended by tow vehicle in my part of the world.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
Maybe not everywhere, but only liability coverage, not collision, is extended by tow vehicle in my part of the world.

Ahhh.....like I said, depends on your state & your kind of coverage.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:51 PM   #15

Poked a hole in my two week old Jayco a few years back.....Got some body fill and "red" putty and repaired the hole.....Then I put a decal over the damaged area....Cdn flag!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #16

holes

Poked a hole in my new MH backing into the garage eavetrough. I picked up a fiberglass repair kit at the auto supply. It comes with feberglass material, resin and hardener and applicator. Made a quick fix with a little sanding and a touch of bondo. Finished it with a can of duplicolor and clear coat. Cannot tell it was there. Info is in case you are cheap like me.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I hope you are correct about the coverage while towing, I have a lot of trailer Insurance that I need to Dump! Youroo! !
You better read your policy good, what is wrong with you, you know better, what will happen if it's sitting outside your barn and a another Tornado comes through, your car insurance. Or homeowners will not claim that, next time I see you remind me to give you a smack.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #18

I don't know the trailer....any chance you could add another window in that spot or put in a larger to cover both?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #19

In Ontario, if you do not have specific trailer insurance and you are not attached to your vehicle when the "accident" occurs, you are on your own.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:08 PM   #20

I live in Dacula. Do you mind telling me where the shop is in case I need a good one in the future? Thanks!!

"Well one thing we are very fortunate in our area to have a very good RV repair service. Toured there shop earlier this year and I think they could actually build an RV at there facilities. Had a 5er there that got side swiped and they even built a new slide for it and when done the paint was awesome and one would never know it was in an accident. Hope I never have to use them but I will if I have an accident. Later RJD "
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 max tow package
4Daughters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior