Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #1

Underside Tape Seams

This past week, I noticed small sections of the black tape that was used on the plastic underbelly seams of mt travel trailer was peeling off.. I want to replace it before the bad weather sets in.. I plan on cleaning the area where the tape was applied with alcohol or something stronger.. the question is, what kind of tape should I use as a replacement.. I have a roll of manufactured home vapor barrier tape or should I use something like the New Flex Seal tape? suggestions
STGCM(SW) USN Ret 30 yrs.
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:12 AM   #2

I think I'd go with what you already have. Getting adhesive off you might have to go with mineral spirits to get after it and then the alcohol to get the residue of the solvent off. A couple years ago , I noticed that the poly sheeting under my wheel wells was just stapled in place and thought, here's a spot for water migration through the floors if I ever seen one and had some leftover white eternabond tape from a previous TT. Wanna guess what I used to seal up those staples? Eternabond is good but not a give away, if you look at the price of the Flex Seal for how much you get/ $$ it's no give away either!
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:51 AM   #3

I used some Gorilla Tape on my underbelly a year ago and it still looks like new. It's available in multiple colors including Black. I have a roll of white with me too in case something happens around the trim (temp fixes).

I've probably put about 10k on the trailer since then (yes, I've been through rain as well).
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #4

Eternabond Tape?

A neighbor who sold his tt gave me a roll of eternabond (white) tape.. would this work OK or be better than the other options?
STGCM(SW) USN Ret 30 yrs.
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:38 PM   #5

I have used Gorilla tape also it has held up just fine. The tape they use is called scrim tape and you can find it at most RV places and on line.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote