Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2022, 10:25 AM   #1

Using Black colored Eterna-Bond tape for bottom black rv aluminum molding

My bottom part of the RV where the AZDEL fiberglass walls meet the OSB floor, they install a rounded aluminum molding and this is common and it requires a ton of caulk all the time. I am sick of running a bead of caulk on this and want to have something more permanent.

Why not buy 3" Black Eterna-Bond tape and run this over the entire molding, 1 inch overlap over the entire molding the length of the trailer?

In the two pics I am including is one from the NOBO Facebook forum showing what happens if you don't yearly waterproof the lower molding. Since Forest River did not make it an actual drip edge with the outside walls overlapping the flooring but instead butted it together. Any water that gets into the molding will sit there and eventually soak into the OSB. I have been taping over this entire seam by about 1/2 inch under and over and painting it with the quart size of the Flex-Seal liquid which works well but only last 1 year.

The second picture is the bottom of my actual trailer which I have undercoated with spray truck undercoating, but NOT on the molding.
I wanted to clean up the molding really well and then run about 1/2-1" over lap of Black Eterna bond tape the entire length of the trailer. Has anyone done this and do you think its a better idea versus caulk or even rubberized undercoating which is my 2nd option?

I want to stop it already with the yearly caulking. There has to be a more permanent seam.

In the last and 3rd pic here I am showing a corner roof edge done with White Eternabond tape. I want to do the same thing but on the bottom edge the whole length in black. Whatya ya'll think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	301967796_3169371419992455_3633414961689566848_n.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	535.4 KB
ID:	278634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220415_164818_729.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	278635   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2022-09-01_102543726.png
Views:	136
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	278636  
stephensatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 12:39 AM   #2

Eterna-Bond Tape---How well does it stand up to UV?

Stephensatt,
I have never used the Eterna-Bond;from what I read it seems to be pretty good material.

My main concern would be how well the tape would stand up to continuous sun exposure and UV degradation. Some of the new caulks seem to stand up to ultraviolet/sun degradation very well. I don't understand why you might need to re-caulk every year. If the tape stands up well then I don't see why your method wouldn't be effective. Be interesting to hear how it holds up through a year or so. Best of success to you.
Robusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 01:01 PM   #3

Have a 2021 Sabre 37FLH. Have same problem. Developed leak coming from outer wall behind toilet. Found seperation at aluminum trim where meets outer wall. only has two screws attached to trim at outer wall. Checked underneath and behind trim where wall meets floor. Sure enough, chaulking all weathered and washed behind trim. Factory was sealing long portion of trim with caulk. needed more screws!. Two for about 8 feet of trim is not enough! Chaulked with Flex Shot Clear. Factory caulk was very thin and is not for gluing things together. Both sides did the same from the rear, going to the front.
Advised and showed my rep at Camping World, Dover, Florida, yesterday. He smiled and said you have to continously watch for that! Told him to contact the factory and advised them to install and caulk better. TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR WORK!

Bob Stevens
Zephyrhills, Fla
Bubba1453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 03:07 PM   #4

I will say do not put eternabond anywhere you don't want it forever. It can be a bear to get off. As Bob said above, I might try a flex seal product first.
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 03:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellr View Post
I will say do not put eternabond anywhere you don't want it forever. It can be a bear to get off. As Bob said above, I might try a flex seal product first.
I don’t think you would want it to come off or take it off. If it will stick I would use it. I e had friends use it other places other than roofs. I have a foot long strip on my roof that has been there since 2015.

I’ve heard to many stories of Flexseal failure after time. I would not bank on that stuff IMHO.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, black, mold