Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2021, 01:29 PM   #1

Vent? (I think) needs to be re-sealed

Hello everyone,

Picked up a 2019 Mini Lite 2109S over the weekend and I am completely new to RVs. I knew this needed work before the purchase so I am hoping to get some tips and info on the best direction to go with this repair.

Honestly have no idea what it even is? Looks like some sort of vent by the bathroom? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

It sits right next to the AC unit.

norcalvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:24 AM   #2

that is your vent stack for a gray or black tank of combination of the two. Something has pushed the pipe up or it was hit by something that pulled it up and pulled the cap sideways. I would remove all the existing sealant and reset the pipe reseal and installed a new vent cap I really like the cyclone style of vent cap. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
that is your vent stack for a gray or black tank of combination of the two. Something has pushed the pipe up or it was hit by something that pulled it up and pulled the cap sideways. I would remove all the existing sealant and reset the pipe reseal and installed a new vent cap I really like the cyclone style of vent cap. JMHO

Thank you Sea Dog. Any suggestions on what type of sealant to use and a link to the cap/vent you are referring to?

Thank you.

Vu
Old 11-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #4
Site Team

I would use Dicor self leveling sealant. Do not use silicon.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:47 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Seadogs information and then Flybob's suggestion of using an R/V sealant is spot on.
DO NOT use Silicone or typical home improvement window/door sealants.

BTW... you mention the vent needing sealed is right next to your A/C unit.
In the provided photos, the vent is next to a cover that goes over a crank open or motorized ceiling vent, NOT the A/C unit. The terminology MaxAir on the cover is the brand/make of the vent cover.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:51 PM   #6

The Vent pipe was either pulled up or the roof was pushed down. I would look for roof damage in that area. If a branch snagged the vent cover it could have pulled it up. If Bubba . . . .

Paul

2023 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS
2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel
2plus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:07 AM   #7

While you are on the roof, inspect all joints and reseal with Dicor as needed. So far, rain is still comming from upstair. 😜😜

From what the pictures show, a little bit of love has been missing from previous owner.
HerveVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:04 PM   #8

Dicor makes several different sealants.

Is this what I want?
https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-Mainten.../dp/B002UC6T74

And I might as well replace the vent cap.

I believe this is what SeaDog is talking about using?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40595-W.../dp/B003P64XU4
Old 11-17-2021, 12:15 PM   #9

Vent pipe

Agreed with HerveVR, Inspect all roof vents and covers and reseal them with Dicor while doing the vent pipe. When we purchased a 4 year old travel trailer, months later our kitchen ceiling was bowing from water getting in. $900.00 later found out it was the kitchen vent needed caulking and ceiling replaced and sprayed for mold(by us)...
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:40 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalvu View Post
Dicor makes several different sealants.

Is this what I want?
https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-Mainten.../dp/B002UC6T74

And I might as well replace the vent cap.

I believe this is what SeaDog is talking about using?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40595-W.../dp/B003P64XU4
Yes to both.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:19 PM   #11

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the words of wisdom. Will post repairs pics for review.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:36 PM   #12

I would spend time and look at every sq inch of the existing roof sealant looking for any cracks so you can reseal them. You can clean the area that needs to be resealed with a tooth brush and rubbing alcohol before your repairs for better adhesion.

Also look over any of the rubber roof looking for nicks scratches or holes or anything else you think could benefit from a touch of sealant.

Its really hard to store a partial tube of dicor so plan on using the whole tube. In fact buy 2 so you have one on hand in case of an emergency.
also check off the side of the roof where the rubber meets the edge trim and look for cracks around the rain gutter extensions.
also recommended is to put a bead across the top and sides of the marker lights to stop water from getting into them.

for sealing anything that is not rubber, I recommend Geocell proflex RV (amazon)

As you drive down the road start looking at all the RV's you see. Look at the sides and back of fiberglass RV's, You will see many with these bumps sticking out on the side? the will be along the top edges, below any thing on sides that is cut into fiberglass like lights, speakers, etc, you will see them on the back below the marker lights, on front below marker lights?
this is delamanation, caused by water getting under the fiberglass. you don't want that to happen so spend time often looking over everything.

This is an extreme case of delamanation, but you get the idea.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:09 AM   #13

Hi everyone,

Once again, appreciate all the help on this.

Please don't laugh, this was my first stab at the repair and install of the new vent per the post above.

The old vent had a bunch of screws to hold it in place, so I taped the whole area up with Externabond tape, then sealed with it Dicor.

Old 12-01-2021, 09:36 AM   #14

Does that new vent have a screen or other protection to keep pests out? Looks like an interesting product.
2019 Ford Expedition Max, payload ~ 1700

Former - 2019 NOBO 19.7
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:39 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES-1 View Post
Does that new vent have a screen or other protection to keep pests out? Looks like an interesting product.
There is an Amazon link for it in post #8.

Doesn't look like it has a screen. But to be fair, the factory installed ones don't either.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, seal, vent