Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2019, 03:50 PM   #1

Vertical streaks?

So I seem to have some clear streaks running down on the awning side of the Grey Wolf. Some random and some from the window drains. Not black, more like bleached. I did clean the awning last summer with a bleach/detergent spray and fresh water spray. I even used the trailer a few times after and never noticed these streaks. I'm wondering if there is a way to clean the side to eliminate stains like this? Kind of bums me out...
uchytil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #2

So, zero replies means nobody else must have seen this. Anyway, after the last rainstorm I noticed significantly more of these white lines running down the one side. I pulled a ladder over and found the gutters to be jammed with pine needles. The trailer sat in the same spot as the last three winters but this year there must have been more needles. Also I noticed it leaned a tad more to the right (awning side where the lines are) and nose down a bit from settling in the ground. I can only assume the water that sat in the pine needles caused the lines. They sort of buff out with rubbing compound. I guess the course of action is get a DA polisher and go to work. I was hoping a body guy might be able to shed some insight?
uchytil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Streaks on the side of a R/V can be caused by many different things.

As you have possibly found, dirt/debris/pine needles in the gutters can bleed marks onto the sides. Leftover chemicals from washing can do this too if not rinsed properly. Degrading roof materials can cause stains.

Your description without photos can only make us guess. it doesn't mean we haven't seen it, just that it could be many different things.

Using a cleaner and/or polish will usually resolve streaking issues for a while but nothing eliminates them completely without some touch-up periodically.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #4

What 5picker said. [emoji51]
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:39 AM   #5

Most likely water run areas, where water is channeled to and runs down the side of the rig. That in turn causes any protectant you've applied, sealant or wax, to be stripped faster than the surrounding areas. And then UV will do it's job to oxidize those areas.

Buff, polish, apply sealant.