Old 06-09-2020, 08:08 PM   #1

Very leaky trailer HELP!

Hey everybody. I just bought a new-to-me 2007 Rockwood 8314SS. The trailer is front bedroom and rear living. Hereís where the fun starts! I have VERY soft floors around the toilet and at the threshold from the bath to the bedroom. I opened up the under bed storage on Sunday (literally the first day I had the trailer) and found the compartment very wet. So obviously I have a leak somewhere. As soon as I get this thing home, I plan on fixing my soft floors and finding the source of my leak.

Could the leak be from the toilet? The toilet does leak from the back when I pre fill it. It just seems like a lot of moisture to just be a toilet leak. I know thereís a grey water tank under the bathroom too. I know when I look inside of the front storage, I can see the floor is saturated, so Iím thinking Iíll need to strip all the furniture from the bedroom and re do the entire floor in there.

Also, it rained today and there was some water pooled in the front storage. Where would this come from and how do I fix that?

So my plan is to 1) replace the toilet, 2) tear up the rotted floors, and 3) try to source the water intrusion into the storage compartment (hopefully with yíallís help!

Sorry for the long post, I have a lot going on!
1263millwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Most RV leaks are a result of roof leaks. I would check the roof caulking also.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:53 PM   #3

Why did you buy it?

Where ever you go there you are
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:29 PM   #4

Although my A-frame is much different, this reminded me of an incident that occurred soon after I purchased. I left a front storage compartment exterior door open, it started raining, and a sheet of water came right into the cabin (and under dinette seats, etc., including where the converter is located). In the case of my A-frame, similarly to some pop-ups, the front storage is an appendage to the main structure of the trailer - not underneath the living space. I was shocked to find the compartment was not caulked at all along the floor. This could have been a much bigger problem if it had been hidden. I doubt it's relevant to you, but just in case!

Nights camped in 2016: 37; 2017: 54; 2018: 47; 2019: 63; 2020: 49
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:41 AM   #5

Are you using the shower? There is an access panel near the floor in ours and we noticed water on the floor after we showered. A friend wound himself into knots to get under there and found the drain pipe disconnected. Also found a loose sewer connection... both of which he fixed.

Yes, the toilet could be leaking. They have a plastic ring similar to the wax ring on a residential toilet that are not very durable. You need the make and model of the toilet to get a replacement.

If it rained, then, as suggested, you may have a roof leak. Check the seals around the rims and around vents.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Are you using the shower? There is an access panel near the floor in ours and we noticed water on the floor after we showered. A friend wound himself into knots to get under there and found the drain pipe disconnected. Also found a loose sewer connection... both of which he fixed.

Yes, the toilet could be leaking. They have a plastic ring similar to the wax ring on a residential toilet that are not very durable. You need the make and model of the toilet to get a replacement.

If it rained, then, as suggested, you may have a roof leak. Check the seals around the rims and around vents.
The guy I bought it from said it has a new roof, but I’ll get up there and look at it. Thanks for the suggestion. I’m definitely planning on a full replacement of the toilet. Like I said, the one that’s in it now leaks a little when I prefill it. There doesn’t seem to be any leaking from the shower, but I’ll look there too.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyer View Post
Why did you buy it?
The price was right and I didnít notice this stuff until I started moving into it.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:22 AM   #8
Site Team

You need to check all seams and equipment mounted on the roof. Also check the running lights as they many times leak after a while. In most cases leaks travel a long way from where they enter the trailer to where they appear.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:38 AM   #9

I agree the roof is the usually the main issue but I have had leaks around window frames as well. Lots of places to check.

Good Luck!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:49 AM   #10

Just remember,,,leaks don't leak up,,,they leak down and out.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:45 PM   #11

I have the same trailer but a year newer. I spend last summer searching for a leak that caused my front storage area to rot. I caulked everything on the roof as I was sure that's where the water was coming in. Well I was wrong. By chance I found a small soft spot on the window wall above the bed. I caulked around the window and even the rivets that helps hold the window cover on and "knock on wood" no more leaks. On a separate issue, I did notice water coming out from under the shower panels. All the plumbing was tight but I noticed water coming from the gasket around the ring in the shower. After taking it apart, I found the gasket was paper thin. Replaced it and again, "knock on wood" no more leaks. Love the trailer. Good luck with the floor repair.
traveltrailerrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:14 PM   #12

i have an 2006 rockwood 2701ss. I bet your floors are like mine with lousy 1/8" luan glued to styrofoam. you will have soft floors even if you do not have a leak, but the bath room is a damp space and your foot traffic is in the same spot.
i am still looking for a good repair. i current have cut 3/8 OSB board to fit so the floor does not get worse. there are no joist under the luan to nail to.
Best suggestions i have received was a interlocking floor plank that is waterproof.
hoyle
HOYLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:16 PM   #13

Oh - the cubby leak can be from the door gasket - that is a problem to fix too!
HOYLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:36 PM   #14

First, before you spend money on flooring, you must find and repair the leaks.

Roof, I would eternal bond tape the all seams, vents, fans. And pipe protrusions.

Next, I would get a sealtech test done to ID additional side leaks and the roof to insure all is well. You can take it to

https://tonysrv.com/

They have always done well by me. Ask to speak to Gearld in parts. They specialize in service and parts plus collision repair. They are not an RV dealer. Call for an appointment.

I had a sealtech test done last year for $200. They stop up everything, blow air into the unit and use soapy water to spray on the outside. They than give you a quote and pictures of all the potential leaks. You can decide what you want to repair.

After that, than start the inside repair or get a quote.

Here is a link to my leak test. Hope all of this helps.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...st-180603.html
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
First, before you spend money on flooring, you must find and repair the leaks.

Roof, I would eternal bond tape the all seams, vents, fans. And pipe protrusions.

Next, I would get a sealtech test done to ID additional side leaks and the roof to insure all is well. You can take it to

https://tonysrv.com/

They have always done well by me. Ask to speak to Gearld in parts. They specialize in service and parts plus collision repair. They are not an RV dealer. Call for an appointment.

I had a sealtech test done last year for $200. They stop up everything, blow air into the unit and use soapy water to spray on the outside. They than give you a quote and pictures of all the potential leaks. You can decide what you want to repair.

After that, than start the inside repair or get a quote.

Here is a link to my leak test. Hope all of this helps.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...st-180603.html

Nice. Tonyís is in Lexington. I live in West Columbia, so thatís an easy trip for me! Thanks a bunch for the resource
Old 06-10-2020, 08:23 PM   #16

Confession, I looked at your profile and thought Tonyís would be a good resource for you. I live in Hartsville and found them 7years ago. They will file your insurance, warranty claims on all brands and are authorized service center for a lot of OEMS. The place is not fancy but their techs have been with there a long time.
They have service managers but I like dealing with Gerald. Go by and check them out before you take your TT.
I hope you get your TT problems and have a great camping season.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1263millwright View Post
Hey everybody. I just bought a new-to-me 2007 Rockwood 8314SS. The trailer is front bedroom and rear living. Hereís where the fun starts! I have VERY soft floors around the toilet and at the threshold from the bath to the bedroom. I opened up the under bed storage on Sunday (literally the first day I had the trailer) and found the compartment very wet. So obviously I have a leak somewhere. As soon as I get this thing home, I plan on fixing my soft floors and finding the source of my leak.

Could the leak be from the toilet? The toilet does leak from the back when I pre fill it. It just seems like a lot of moisture to just be a toilet leak. I know thereís a grey water tank under the bathroom too. I know when I look inside of the front storage, I can see the floor is saturated, so Iím thinking Iíll need to strip all the furniture from the bedroom and re do the entire floor in there.

Also, it rained today and there was some water pooled in the front storage. Where would this come from and how do I fix that?

So my plan is to 1) replace the toilet, 2) tear up the rotted floors, and 3) try to source the water intrusion into the storage compartment (hopefully with yíallís help!

Sorry for the long post, I have a lot going on!
All the SA comments aside, yes toilets have been known to leak and without knowing all the facts, check the water supply to the toilet. If the floor was only wet from this one experience you may not have to replace the floor. The roof probably has some separation around the edges and can be fixed but you need to know what type of material the roof is made of. It will be worth a visit to an RV repair shop or mobile repair man to check it out. Don't be afraid to ask questions in this forum, we all have been newbees at one time or another.
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzac1954 View Post
All the SA comments aside, yes toilets have been known to leak and without knowing all the facts, check the water supply to the toilet. If the floor was only wet from this one experience you may not have to replace the floor. The roof probably has some separation around the edges and can be fixed but you need to know what type of material the roof is made of. It will be worth a visit to an RV repair shop or mobile repair man to check it out. Don't be afraid to ask questions in this forum, we all have been newbees at one time or another.
Iím 99% sure the floor needs to be done. Itís wavy and cracks every time I step in the soft areas. There just wouldnít be any other explanation. Iíll for sure look at the roof. Although, wouldnít there be other signs of water intrusion? Like a soft spot in the ceiling or along a wall? It just feels like thereíd be more evidence were the roof the culprit.

Tags
leak, trailer