Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #1

Smile Water found between dash and front windshield

Hi everyone,

We are on a 6 month trip in our 2018 Georgetown XL through the southern states and are currently in New Orleans experiencing significant rainfall (better than the snow back home!! )
I woke up this morning to find water had accumulated at the base of the windshield but can’t seem to find the location of the leak - no drips or wet spots on the inside of the window or roof above the dash.

In anticipation of the rain, I was on the roof yesterday and visually inspected for any gaps in caulking, seams etc. however didn’t find anything that would suggest a leak.

Any thoughts/suggestions on what I might look for?

Thanks in advance
vankrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #2

Being as you are in the humid South--just two days ago here in SW Ga. I went out to clean the inside of my trucks windshield and found significant moisture on my dash and inside my windshield. The day before the humidity was high, overnight the temp dropped to 36°. I'm sure this was condensation but I didn't expect that much moisture inside the truck.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:27 PM   #3

Thanks Thurman. It’s been quite cool and we didn’t have any condensation on the window this morning. The amount of water that accumulated leads me to believe it’s rain finding a way in rather than condensation but I’m hoping you’re right.
vankrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #4

Had a leak like that and found the orange running lights have a air hole to keep the moisture out. But they mounted most of them upside down, holes up. Might take a look at them, but condensation might still be your problem.

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #5

I had the same problem. Turned out to be outside orange running lights at the top.
Re-caulked, problem solved.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:31 PM   #6
drw

window glaze

I dry camping and running the furnace and woke up this morning had some condensation on the front window. I have Georgetown XL as well.
But I also found something at the bottom edge on driver side. What I call window glaze or smoke. Looks like the window has frosted or glazed in a half circle. about 4 inches. along the edge. Was wondering if anyone has had this before as well. Wonder if the seam is breaking loose and moisture is getting in under the glass. Any ideas. thinking about caulking in that area to seal it up just encase.
drw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:42 PM   #7

Similar situation

Check the seal around the top of the windshield you may not see it from s roof vantage point. Have similar issue and it has destroyed the wood underneath the vinyl of the dash.
ADFitzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:17 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADFitzke View Post
Check the seal around the top of the windshield you may not see it from s roof vantage point. Have similar issue and it has destroyed the wood underneath the vinyl of the dash.
I had water seeping in the front and pooling up on the dash last spring. Now remember ours is a 10 year old Georgetown, and back then, they used a large (2 inch) rubber gasket around the windshield where it attaches to the front body cap. Today’s windshields are almost flush to the bodywork.

I got up on a ladder to do a real close inspection of the clearance lights caulking and the top of the windshield gasket. It was evident the caulking of the windshield gasket was old and had shrunk a bit.

I cleaned the rubber and the fibreglass bodywork thoroughly. On the first warm day over 70 degrees F, I applied a strip of electrical tape all along the top of the gasket from side to side.

We travelled all over this past year, and the tape is still holding, sealing well, and I never saw any water inside since. I’ll inspect it again in the spring and see where we stand.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 12:55 AM   #9

Those marker lights are notorious leakers on most any vehicle that has them. But you can’t rule out the windshield either. Try one item like all the marker lights then see how it goes or try to test with a hose.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water