Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2021, 01:34 AM   #1

what to do with the roof

The roof on the Windsong RV I recently purchased doesn't seem to have maintained in a long time. Most of the white surface material is worn off and chalky black material is exposed. There are some cracks as well.
Luckily it appears from the inside that no major damage has occurred to the inside of the coach and most of the roof seems to be solid as well.
The local RV dealer sold me a liquid EPDM roof product, but I am hesitant to apply this stuff to the chalky base. Would just washing the roof provide a good enough surface for the liquid roof to adhere to?
PeterFischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:44 AM   #2

What prep is listed on the product you bought? Without knowing what kind of roof that is, it's kind of hard for any of our roof experts to give you advice.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:27 AM   #3

I will have to take the vent cover off tomorrow to make sure that the original membrane is actually EPDM. Somebody posted on a different thread that if the inside is black it's EPDM.
Do some of the roofs in 2000 have actual rubber membranes? How would I find out?
Old 01-21-2021, 11:35 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Yes, EPDM membranes are still being used even today.

Chalky indicates a EPDM rubber roof.
Most of the coatings I've seen say wash well with something like Spic-N-Span, let dry well and apply coating. Most coatings have directions on them.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:02 PM   #5

Some products have an activator which is applied before the top coat. It helps with adhesion. Dicor makes a roof coating system.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFischer View Post
The roof on the Windsong RV I recently purchased doesn't seem to have maintained in a long time. Most of the white surface material is worn off and chalky black material is exposed. There are some cracks as well.
Luckily it appears from the inside that no major damage has occurred to the inside of the coach and most of the roof seems to be solid as well.
The local RV dealer sold me a liquid EPDM roof product, but I am hesitant to apply this stuff to the chalky base. Would just washing the roof provide a good enough surface for the liquid roof to adhere to?
Depending on the requirements of the product you are using, this is the process.
https://youtu.be/J75bL9i-SEQ
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:36 AM   #7

Thank you for the help and suggestions. I think the rubber membrane has disintegrated too much to try and save it. I am planning to put a new sheet of EPDM on the roof.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:03 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFischer View Post
Thank you for the help and suggestions. I think the rubber membrane has disintegrated too much to try and save it. I am planning to put a new sheet of EPDM on the roof.
If you plan to replace the entire existing membrane, consider the newest PVC membranes. They 'seem' to have a better warranty and are bright white, better at reflecting the sun/heat.

They do appear to be somewhat new on the market so not yet sure of their long-term life. Like TPO membranes, they need little to no maintenance vs EDPM.

There are also companies that do a thick, spray on roof coating (similar to a bedliner) and are guaranteed for life.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:15 PM   #9

Thank you for those suggestion! Seems like I still have to do some more research.
I watched a video of somebody replacing the membrane and the roof sheeting last night which brought up more questions. Like how to do the rounded edges with plywood. I just assume that's what is underneath the EPDM membrane?

Tags
roo, roof