Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2021, 02:37 PM   #1

What type of caulk is this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4265.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	262211
Mainly wondering about the white blob of caulk at the top of the corner channel. I need to replace the vinyl strip in the channel due to cracking and will need to pry this off to do the job and then reseal it (and do a better job!). The parts/service guy at the local Camping World said it looked like “5200 marine caulk” and I could pick it up at Home Depot but I’m just skeptical enough that I’d like to verify that.

While we are discussing, if someone can tell me what the self-leveling looking sealant is as well it would be helpful as well.

TT is a 2017 Surveyor 201RBS, if that is helpful.

Thanks all.
boevermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 02:41 PM   #2
RV There Yet?

While i cannot answer what the white glob of mystery goo is, i can tell you that the greyer stuff under it and to the left is the self leveling sealant. you will want to get familiar with Dicor self leveling sealant, they also make a no sag version, which is not self leveling.
Old 09-03-2021, 03:38 PM   #3

I'll agree with IsleDog. I doubt the factory put that blob on. Someone, somewhere added it after manufacture. They probably should have used Dicor or cleaned it all up and put on Eternabond tape.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 03:52 PM   #4
Site Team

It's scary what the CW said and recommended. Shows you why so many recommend to stay away from CW.
Obviously you must not be the original owner or you had the roof serviced at some point.
This is why many of us recommend to look closely at the roof before buying. Even new units.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 12:13 AM   #5

We are the original owners. We have had warranty work done by the dealer and then it was sent to the Forest River facility in Oregon for the winter (2017) to have the driver’s side wall replaced due to a bubble in the fiberglass. But this is on the opposite side…

Not sure which place added it but I hadn’t given it much thought until now as it is doing a great job sealing that area.

Sounds like once I replace the vinyl trim strip I can just use the self leveling caulk and extend it to that area.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:20 AM   #6

And yes, I try to stay away from CW when I can but I didn’t know what that vinyl trim was called so I had no good way to search via Amazon/web. And our dealer’s shop seems to have banker’s hours plus it’s an hour drive with traffic.

Went for the trim and the caulk question was a “while I’m here…” thing.
Old 09-04-2021, 07:09 AM   #7

I would pull that white glob off, clean it up and use Dicor self level.
when dealing with roofs, its best to stick with the stuff made for RV's

Most people would just clean that up, maybe a tooth brush and alcohol so crack is clean, than put a bead over the crack filling it and lapin that over to the old sealant.

but that is not your only crack, I bet there is more. Maybe inspect it first, mark every one (post it notes?), clean each place than come around a re caulk.
Also put extra attention to the corners where the roof, end cap, ran gutters all come together. And the side marker lights are know to let water into the walls as well. check them out.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:54 AM   #8

Thanks for the advice TowPro! That was my thought already. Those tubes of caulk are like the tubes of super glue—sure there’s a lot of material but they really end up being one time use since the remainder either drys up or seals shut before the next use.

You mention cleaning up with alcohol. Are we talking denatured, isopropyl, or something else? Do I need to follow that with some other prep? I seem to recall reading here in the forums that some caulks don’t stick when the surface had alcohol applied.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:10 AM   #9

Hopefully that white blob is not 5200. 5200 is used for below waterline marine work and is generally considered to be permanent due to how well it bonds and the difficulty of removing it. There is a product made that is supposed to break the bond but I have never used it.

I don't know whether this would work for Dicor, but the 3M products (4000, 4200, 5200) can be sealed (plastic wrap beneath cap or a screw into the tip) and placed in a freezer for long term storage. Thaw well before reuse and you can continue to use what is left in the tube.
(We're just getting started!)
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 01:38 PM   #10

How to keep a tube of caulk fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by boevermann View Post
Thanks for the advice TowPro! That was my thought already. Those tubes of caulk are like the tubes of super glue—sure there’s a lot of material but they really end up being one time use since the remainder either drys up or seals shut before the next use.

You mention cleaning up with alcohol. Are we talking denatured, isopropyl, or something else? Do I need to follow that with some other prep? I seem to recall reading here in the forums that some caulks don’t stick when the surface had alcohol applied.
I can keep a tube of most caulks (and adhesives) fresh for a year or three as follows.
--Tear off a 4" strip of Saran Wrap, Glad Wrap or equivalent.
--Fold it into fourths.
--Put it over the end of the caulking tube.
--Use a rubber band, as many turns as needed, to hold the wrap in place.

You may have misread it. Both RSData and I advocate first cleaning with mineral spirits (synthetic turpentine) and then wiping with alcohol. The alcohol removes a slick film that we believe would inhibit adhesion.

BTW, the reason for that blob is as follows:
When you put on the vinyl trim, it's hard to terminate it at the ends. You've got this open tube. What do you do with it?

At original manufacture, I've seen where they loosen the rain gutter, wrap the trim around the end, and then tighten the gutter. They then gob some caulk around the place where the trim is tucked under, to fill some gaps.

Vinyl shrinks as it ages. It might pull free or split off, or have been replaced. In this case, it probably wasn't tucked under--just left there and caulked over. When you remove the old caulk, you will see which.

Use a heat gun when removing the old caulk. It goes much faster and easier.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:08 PM   #11

Quote:

rubbing alcohol

and contrary to what anybody says, I never buy anything for sealing my RV that I would on my house.

Doicor for rubber roof (can be used on fiberglass roofs also)

Geocel Proflex RV for everything else. Now the geocel is harder to work with.
I have heard that you can use soap water or mineral sprites on your finger to smooth out a bead of Geocel.

I also just read that Geocel Pro Flex might be just as good as Proflex RV and you might find it in a box store for 1/2 the price of gelcel RV

and there is only ONE place for silicone caulk in an RV. I use it to glue down the edges of gorilla tape that I use to reseal the coraplast (underside) of the RV after cutting it for access (or when sealing mouse holes)
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Rubbing alcohol is (usually) Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA). More precisely,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Rubbing alcohol is an antiseptic, which contains as not less than 68% and not more than 72% of isopropyl alcohol.
I usually get the 91% IPA (not rubbing alcohol) because it dries faster. If I want to get on with the taping or caulking, I can do it in a few minutes, even on a humid day. And it's plenty cheap. Under a buck for a pint.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Attachment 262211
Mainly wondering about the white blob of caulk at the top of the corner channel. I need to replace the vinyl strip in the channel due to cracking and will need to pry this off to do the job and then reseal it (and do a better job!). The parts/service guy at the local Camping World said it looked like “5200 marine caulk” and I could pick it up at Home Depot but I’m just skeptical enough that I’d like to verify that.

While we are discussing, if someone can tell me what the self-leveling looking sealant is as well it would be helpful as well.

TT is a 2017 Surveyor 201RBS, if that is helpful.

Thanks all.
If that stuff cleans up with mineral spirits (be careful to keep it off the roofing rubber as that will be damaged if it stays moist with petroleum based product so clean it with alcohol after you're done) then it's probably Dicor. If it sticks well to the surfaces, then it's the right stuff. If it is a thick semi dry -gooy, it is probably Dicor. If it has a silicone feel, it may not stick to Dicor, . Best bet it's Dicor.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulk