Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #1

White roof coating coming off

While doing a Fall wash today, I looked on the roof and found black streaks about 4 feet apart. They appear to be at roof ribs or supports and look like the white coating has worn off leaving black rubber exposed. These places were not there when I looked things over last May or so. I think the material is the TPO.

In July, I had taken it to the dealer for another matter which was to get a hail damage estimate for an insurance claim and to get the stabilizer jack switches replaced which had stopped working. While there, I let them do a roof inspection, cleaning and treatment which they said needed to be done each year and it was only about 2 months away from being a year since we bought it. (That was about $250).

Although I didn't look at the roof when we picked it up after the roof treatment, I did notice that the front panels on the TT were streaked and it appeared looking inside that some water had gotten inside and stained the sheet on the Murphy bed. I've tried everything I had to get the front cap streaks out but nothing worked. I called the dealer and was told they may not have rinsed off the cleaner before it dried on the front panels and they would buff them out if I would bring it back in. But since these panels will be replace from the hail claim I figured I could live with the streaks till then. I was going to tell them about the water stain on the sheet when I take in in next time. I had about decided that the stain inside may have been from them using a high pressure washer along the horizontal seam where the two front cap sheets meet and lap. I've always thought that joint may be a problem someday but that is just the way it is made.

So as to the roof streaks, has anyone else had these show up? Could it have been caused by the roof cleaning solution the dealer may have used? Will this be a problem in the future?
Hopefully the roof pictures a readable.
Thanks for input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2090.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	124742   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2092.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	124743   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2093.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	124744   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2091.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	124745  
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Did you try cleaning it off with some cleaner (Awesome, Spic-N-Span, etc.)?

You may be surprised and it'll come off.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #3

I have the same black streaks, I assume it is some sort of mold forming. Get a bottle of Awsome from the dollar store and it removes pretty easy.
On a different subject, I was told to never use a pressure washer on a roof , it will break seals around the vents and A/C causing leaks , some may disagree but I never chance it.
Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gas
Sailor Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #4

Thanks guys. Today I only tried water and a soft sponge. Tomorrow I'll try the Awesome or Dawn.
As to it maybe being mold, possible I guess but just looked more like the white coating had worn off. And I thought it strange that it is only on the high points like it is.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:14 PM   #5

Mine is a 2017 model and I am thinking it may have something to do with the adhesive they used, my 2009 I traded in never had the black streaks like these.
Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gas
Sailor Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #6

If it's TPO it's white clear through. EPDM rubber is black under the white . Looks more like they drug the hose across the roof and the dirt and grease was left on the high joint of the roof.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:13 PM   #7

Thanks Hillsdale. It may be the EPDM then. I tried some Awesome today and the black did not come off. I'm supposed to take in to the dealer for the other repairs after Thanksgiving and I'll talk to them about it.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:09 AM   #8

I had the same streaks on my trailer. Diluted bleach removed it easily.
palomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:31 AM   #9
Site Team

My thoughts on roof maintenance. Virtually no one sees the roof except me when I cover or clean. I clean the dirt and droppings off with a mild soap and apply Aerospace 303. Tough stains stay. For me the function of the roof is much more important than the look. Using harsh cleaners and bleach will make it look nice, but it will eventually dry out and degrade the material. The cleaners many service places use are geared to giving you a nice clean roof ( that's what you paid for) but may not be good for the roof or the finish on the RV. If you return it to the dealer, they will get the black lines off, but it may not be in your best interest.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #10

I agree bleach is strong that's why I diluted it and give it a very through rinse. However mold left to grow will permanently stain roof and may cause an issue when trying to sell especially with streaks at seams as seen in pictures at start of post. See dicor notes below.

Mold on membrane is unsightly and if allowed to grow will discolor the roof completely and may become a stain that cannot be removed.

Please note, the removal of mold and/or mildew is not a job to be rushed.
Tilex is a bathroom cleaner that can be purchased at many grocery stores or discounts stores. Tilex contains strong chemicals. The label on the bottle will indicate that the Tilex should not come in contact with painted or aluminum surfaces. If it drips over the sidewalls or comes in contact with painted or aluminum surfaces, wipe immediately with a damp sponge.

palomino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof