Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2020, 10:38 PM   #1

9100 awning strut replacement

I have been having an issue when I extend the awning where one saide will not raise up and droops down. Once I extend it I can go over and help it up and it will stay up. I tried lubricating all the parts and joints with no luck.

I then assumed the awning strut was starting to fail. Finding dometic parts is not fun...never find them in stock and specs are pretty sparse. I found something on ebay that fit but when I replaced the strut the awning could not hold itself up at all on that one side. I asked the seller to confirm the weight rating but their response was that I needed a second one. I am not throwing good money after bad. The good side can hold up its side on its own and I simply put back the failing part until I could find a good replacement as it worked better than what I had been sold.

I have dometic 9100 awning that is 21ft long. I tried this part 3310555.010 and know the size is good but it says it can support 159 lbs. The replacement I bought said it could as well but was either over rated or under speced for what I need.

My question is do these come with different weight ratings based on length of the awning or do they all support 159lbs in this size? I would imagine as the awning gets longer you would need more support and a higher weight rating.

Also any ideas on where to get a good part? They are impossible to find in stock anywhere that shows the actual weight rating. I can find specs length and compression but weight rating is difficult to find.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:27 PM   #2

I guess no one ever replaces these? Maybe I just name the next thread can I tow this?
Old 10-29-2020, 09:07 PM   #3

Ok now that's funny. Or, how many cars do you stack up?

To your issue, is there a rv dealer and parts/service department that can help you? I know some people cant stand going to a dealer.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParise View Post
Ok now that's funny. Or, how many cars do you stack up?

To your issue, is there a rv dealer and parts/service department that can help you? I know some people cant stand going to a dealer.
Yea I am one of those...my dealer experice has not been great.

So far of the two replacement struts one didnt work as described and the second has not shipped in 15 days so I just cancelled it. We will see if I can get my money back.[emoji17]

I may end up calling one nearby to see if they can supply the part but I don't plan to go back to CW no matter how hard it is to find the part.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:00 AM   #5

Let me know what happens at a non CW dealer. I live only 5 miles from my dealer, I94RV in Russell Illinois, and can swing by the parts counter and see what they come up with. They know me by name so I have a hunch they will at least look for the right part and consult with service if they need to verify anything.

Short story on what I heard about ometic part orders, I happen to have been at my dealers parts store looking for a part which I thought they would have in stock (cant remember the exact part right now doesnt matter) and the parts person asked me if they could help while they were on the phone on hold with dometic chasing down a dometic part on order since this spring. That was in September.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:25 PM   #6

I will deal with them this week and see what I get back. At this point I will take any help I can get. Not a ton of support for this issue.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:27 PM   #7
Enjoying Life

Is this what you are looking for:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-331...-/222711652065

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
Yes it is. I ordered one from ebay previously matching the same part number and it failed to hold the weight of the awning up. This one does not show a weight rating which is one of my questions.

At this point it may be worth a shot to order one and give it a try.

Tags
awning, replacement