Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #1

Access Door Deadbolt..

The deadbolt / lock on my TT has never fully engaged in the locked position but I never gave it much thought until I used the deadbolt on our friends trailer that worked as it should (fully engages).. When locking the Deadbolt using the key on the outside, the key will only go to about the 10 o'clock position.. It is being stopped from going to the 9 o'clock position because the doors extending deadbolt contacts the internal trailer wall/siding within the deadbolt striker plate.. Picture 1 shows the portion of the deadbolt that is striking the area inside the striker plate and picture 2 shows the area that is creating the problem within the striker plate. My initial response is to just use a moto tool and play like a dentist and grind the restricting area out within the striker plate (picture 2) BUT before I rush into it, just wanted to see if I am overlooking something or a better way to fix it..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deadbolt.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	61716   Click image for larger version

Name:	deadboltsocket.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	61717  
STGCM(SW) USN Ret 30 yrs.
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Happy owner SOB

That's exactly what I did. Works great now.

Proud owner of SOB!!!
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #3

Deadbolt stuck in the locked position on a 2015 Rockwood 2703ws. Only one door on this model. The key would not fit entirely in the lock and would not turn. The wife figured she could climb through the storage under the U shaped dinette, make a sharp left turn and than a right turn and lift up the cushions. I was seeing visions of the fire department taking the trailer apart to extricate her. To my surprise she did get in and with a screw driver was able to disassemble the lock from the inside. She disabled the deadbolt lock and the regular door lock is functioning until I can get it back to the dealer next month. She is now looking for a circus job as a contortionist.

Ford F-150 5.0 3.55 Supercab
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #4

We have the same issue, but can't crawl in, what do we do to get into our 2304s? Tried WD 40, lock De icer, key won't go all the way in or turn, just got it home from the dealer and can't even get in the darn thing!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
mmchisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #5

Does your 2304s have the u shaped dinette or free standing table. If you have the u shaped dinette you have a storage door on the outside that has access to the the dinette. Look inside and see if you can lift the wood panel and cushion. Find a skinny kid with a screw driver and have him crawl in and take the lock apart from the inside. I think there are six screws. You can disable the dead bolt and still lock the door lock fro the outside. Some times I wish I had my old two door travel trailer. Still waiting for the dealer to replace the lock and the awning motor that hasn't worked since day one.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmchisholm View Post
We have the same issue, but can't crawl in, what do we do to get into our 2304s? Tried WD 40, lock De icer, key won't go all the way in or turn, just got it home from the dealer and can't even get in the darn thing!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Graphite on the key and in the key hole will usually loosen these up.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door