Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2021, 06:27 PM   #21

Yes, my renter fell victim to this about 1,000 miles away from home lol. I ordered a whole new lock then found a guy who re-invented a stronger piece that always fails out of Kansas and ordered that for $48 I think it was.

https://www.latchfix.com/

Come tonight when my coach comes back I get to replace the lock then wait for the latchfix items to come and will use when it breaks again if not before.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:38 PM   #22

I believe triMark fixed this. I think you can tell the new ones because the latch is now magnetic.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:01 PM   #23
Dahagen

I have had the same problem with my Trimark lock twice. As you did, I ordered the Trimark 601650 on May 1 2019 and the one I got (that just failed) is NOT magnetic, it is pot metal again. How did you get the steel one?
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:34 AM   #24

Latchfix.com

I believe TriMark did fix this but the existing stock already in the market is still being sold.

Here's the fix:

https://www.latchfix.com
Grouchyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:20 PM   #25
Dahagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchyoldman View Post
I believe TriMark did fix this but the existing stock already in the market is still being sold.

Here's the fix:

https://www.latchfix.com
Thank you. I just ordered the kit. I have not heard back on my complaint E-mail to TriMark.
Dave
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 02:01 PM   #26
NXR

I don't have the posy anymore but way back a TriMark employee explained that they always made their latches with steel but in order to sell to RV manufacturers they were requested to reduce the cost so they switched to pot metal. TriMark used to provide the steel replacement parts for free, undoubtedly because this so negatively impacted their reputation.

FWIW,

Ray
Old 12-10-2022, 04:44 PM   #27

Excellent Post MarkK10

Excellent Post, Highly recommend this upgrade, I have a 2014 Solera and this replacement was perfect. I did need to then use a T30 star bit to adjust the posts on either side of the latch (the magnetic piece), I had to turn one complete rotation CCW and the handle how works perfect and so easy to use, my wife loves it and states we should have done this from the time we bought the RV as the door has always been a problem. When properly adjusted this door handle should be easy to open. close and lock. Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkK10 View Post
On a recent trip with our 2018 Forest River Sunseeker 3270 Class C motorhome, we fell victim to the dreaded TriMark door lock failure. We were camped out at a race track for a long weekend when we discovered that we could no longer open the side door of the motorhome from either the inside or outside. Fortunately, since we have a Class C, we were able to get in and out of the rig using the cab doors. For this reason, I did not attempt a repair while at the track because I didn’t want to take the chance of opening a can of worms and have a door that would not stay closed on the trip home.

Once we got home, I removed the inner part of the door lock and was able to extract the broken latch pieces from the mechanism. At this point, the side door could be opened, making it much easier to unload everything from the long weekend trip. Also, the door could be secured with the deadbolt, which was still operable, making it safe to drive or park the rig overnight.

I did some internet research and came to find out that we were not the first to experience failure of the die cast zinc (pot metal) latch which, in my opinion as a former mechanical engineer and guy who has repaired his own vehicles for the past 50+ years, is an unsuitable material for this application. However, it probably saved the manufacturer about fifty cents, so it was obviously justified.

Once I realized that a new door lock assembly would be required, I started a web search to find one. I determined that the part was a TriMark 601650 Door Handle (Black). The best price I could find was from Amazon at $93.37 with free Prime shipping. Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HE7SLF8..._F9axFb6X6QHR3 . The price has gone up to $101.45 at this time, but is probably still a good deal.

When I received the new lock, I first checked the latch with my magnet and fortunately it is made of steel, much stronger that the old part. The installation was straightforward, except for two small tabs on the deadbolt mechanism that had to be removed. I used a cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool for this; I had to go slow because these tabs were also made from a non-ferrous material. After cutting the tabs, I used a cylindrical stone in the Dremel to smooth and round over the edges.

After that, the new lock went in easily and worked much more smoothly than the old one. I also expect it to last much longer. The new lock came with a replacement striker plate, but I did not use it because the old one was fine.

I am including some pictures to help anyone else who has this problem.
Rickygar63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, lock