Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #1

Awning blowing off

Our awning came unlocked and blew down while traveling and I had to cut it off and disassemble the arms and such to continue down the road. I have gotten it back together but it looks a bit warped and needs a new canvas. Is this something one can do yourself or would it be better for a professional? Also any idea on cost to replace awning by itself and whole system poles and all? We have a 15' awning I believe on a Cherokee 28a+

Thanks!
Elanpottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #2

If you have an RV dealer replace just the fabric you're looking at around $600. I had just the fabric replaced on my Cherokee and that's what they charged.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #3

You can replace the fabric yourself it is not that hard to do. They now offer a 2 piece fabric that is easier to install. The only difference is that you will have some of the roller showing between the main awning and the part that hangs in front.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #4

I had this same thing happen quite a few years back. It is a sickening feeling to look in your mirror and see the awning folded out flapping in the wind! I always use safety straps on the awning arms now. I just use the velcro straps off of my awning de-flappers.
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If you pop for a whole new awning which I would since your roller is bowed id spend the extra for an electric one!
now that I have one I won't get another manual one.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
now that I have one I won't get another manual one.
X2
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #7

What's the benefit of electric awning other than not having to open it? Has anyone claimed something like this on insurance and remember what the payout was? I'm trying to decide if it's worth claiming. Thanks!
Elanpottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #8

Personally I won't have an electric awning. I live in Wyoming and it can be very windy. With a manual awning you can use the de-flappers and stake it down. When I lost my awning I didn't even think about turning it in to insurance. I guess it would depend on what your deductible is wether it is worth it or not.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #9

At camping world a 15' manual awning would cost $745 and the electric awning would cost $1602. The prices do not include installation or shipping.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:54 AM   #10

I would definitely check with my insurance company.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #11

Definitely make an insurance claim, and replace the entire awning.
And don't bother with an electric one. We had no choice when we ordered our fifth, as the manual was not an option. But I would rather have a manual, for the same reasons rkswyo stated. Anytime it is windy at all, we have to roll up the electric awning, and it is a pain.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Camping world is way over priced!
Turn it in on Ur insurance.
Iowa gets windy like any other state and I've never had problem.
just push the button and it rolls up in 15 seconds if wind gets to bad.

Do what you want but I highly recommend electric.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #13

Do the electric awnings automatically lock when they close or could they come open while traveling?
2011 Flagstaff 8528RLWS 5th Wheel
Reese Sidewinder Hitch 2002 Road Star Warrior
SouthWest Florida FROG
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

They lock when closed.

Unless broken the gears in the motor won't allow it to roll out
Old 02-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #15

i know u r way beyond this but...i had one unroll while driving in Wyoming. pulled into a rest stop, pulled the frame out like setting it up then rolled it back up. dealer said a spring broke. they repaired and it has worked ever sense.
i now look back at it ever so often to see if it is still intact. my frame was still in place on the side of the trailer.

i would replace the whole thing and take it to someone that will get the tension right. even if the awning wasn't hooked in place, the lever, u have to move on the end of the roll for it to roll up or down, should have kept it in place. apparently they can fail if put under too much stress.

if u choose the electric, electricity has to be supplied somehow. those that do this for a living should have that solved as well.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

By the way my local rv dealer sells a 15 foot electric awning for 1300.00 plus 160.00 to install
Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #17

I doubt that the OP would want to switch to an electric awning, as they mount differently, and he would have expose holes in the side of his camper. Probably not pretty.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
I doubt that the OP would want to switch to an electric awning, as they mount differently, and he would have expose holes in the side of his camper. Probably not pretty.
Good point. I just ordered a new trailer and had to special order it without the electric awning. Seems the electrics are pretty much standard anymore.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Definitely make an insurance claim, and replace the entire awning.
And don't bother with an electric one. We had no choice when we ordered our fifth, as the manual was not an option. But I would rather have a manual, for the same reasons rkswyo stated. Anytime it is windy at all, we have to roll up the electric awning, and it is a pain.
Pushing a button is a pain ??? Compared to what - finding wherever you stored the metal hook-thing, going outside, unlatching the lock, attaching the hook to the loop, walking the awning into the trailer, storing the hook-thing again ??

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #20

For me the advantages of a manual awning far outweigh any that an electric awning has, not that I can think of any for the electric. I can deploy my manual awning in 5 minutes or less. I can store the awning in 5 minutes or less. The awning hook is stored in the same spot every time so its not a big deal to find it. The manual awning is far more tolerant of windy conditions. I have had them both and wouldn't trade a manual awning for a truckload of electric awnings. I bought the awning to use it and for me the manual is a far better option.
Back to the original post in my opinion the one thing that gives me the most piece of mind with my awning is to use the "safety straps" on the awning arms.

Tags
awning