Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #1
Dallas Texas

Awning Bracket Lag Bolt Hole Stripped

Hello All,
Got back this weekend for about a week camp and was blessed to have the parents come out a couple days. They are on their 80's so I'm thankful for them to come out and spend some time with us.

During the stay a storm came up quickly and some supper string winds come across the lake and made havoc in the camp ground. As I was working to lower on side of the awning a crazy strong wind came up and snapped both brackets on the nose end (bedroom) of the 5th wheel. The bottom bracket broke but didn't do any damage to the fasteners. However, the top bracket pulled both 1/4 x 3 inch lag bolts out.

When I got it home I tried a couple repairs but have not been successful. First I tried going to larger lag bolt, 5/16 x 3 inch and it didn't even tighten up. So I used a long rod and placed it into the hole and noticed it came to a stop a few inches in. Great I thought, maybe there was some more wood in there to screw to. I used a small 5 inch wood screw just to see if it would screw in (verify it was wood and not steel) and it did screw in.

So, I thought using a longer lag bolt would do the trick. Knowing the bracket exposes about a 1.25" of the bolt I bought 1/4 x 6 inch lag bolt thinking I'll get about 5 inches into the hole and into "new" wood. We'll, that really didn't help. I hand tightened the bolt and could tell it didn't secure firmly.

This bracket is the top one that would be on the outer side of the bedroom closet. Does anyone know what is up there for these bolts to secure to?
Has anyone been successful using and aftermarket fastening device like a butterfly bolt or a "toggler" system?

Both of those systems need to have room for the metal faster to open behind the wall. Not knowing what's back there I don't want to get something jammed in the hole that won't work or prevent me from using something else.
Thanks
Bill
Old 07-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #2

maybe fill the hole with JB Weld epoxy, then drill a pilot hole for the original size lag screw and try again to screw in? just a thought...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning