Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #1

Unhappy Awning came off unit during delivery!

I am a new owner of a FR Cherokee 274DBH. Never owned a camper before.

I’ve looked at different units and floor plans all winter and decided the Cherokee 274DBH was the right one for our family.

After searching far and wide, I purchased a new 2018 and decided to have it delivered since the dealer was pretty far from home and I didn’t want my first towing adventure EVER to be a several hour multi-state venture.

During the trip, the awning came completely off the camper and the dealer decided to take it straight to the factory for the repair.

I haven’t taken delivery, so now I’m torn between waiting for this unit to be repaired or requesting a different camper.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:33 PM   #2

things DO happen

have you 'paid' for this unit yet?
have you 'seen' this unit after it was damaged?

I'd be hesitant to take on a unit that already has damage and repairs because other unseen damage sometimes is 'hidden' and not revealed as a problem until much later. It doesn't mean that it's a deal breaker, but you have to be totally comfortable that someone is taking care of this the 'correct' way.

btw, what do you mean that 'they decided to take it straight to the factory for repairs'?
Where is the dealer located?
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:42 PM   #3

My turn to make the popcorn.....
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:47 PM   #4

Formerfr

I have paid for the unit and scheduled delivery.

During the delivery transit to me, the incident occurred where the awning came off. I don’t know why or all the details, but instead of returning to the dealership for the repair, the dealer told the drive to keep going and head back to the FR plant for the repair.

I have seen a picture of the unit without the awning, but it’s not the best picture and I cannot really zoom in to see the damage to the siding.

The dealer has really been great to work with and we had a lot of fun during the purchase. Once the damage occurred they were on it fast and have been pressing for a quick turnaround.

With that said it still makes me leary about accepting a damaged camper.

Then again, who better to do the repairs then the factory...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C9D966FC-2584-4188-94ED-4BDF1844F48D.jpeg
Views:	506
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	164049  
Old 03-03-2018, 08:06 PM   #5

Can't zoom in on the picture but it looks like there might be some nasty holes where mounts tore loose, if that's what happened.

Over the years I've seen awnings 'balloon out" from the side of a moving trailer if they aren't properly secured. Get some wind under them and there's a lot of energy that can do some serious damage.

Since it's at the factory my guess is that they'll do the best job of all as they have access to things like siding panels, etc.

Of course without closeups any possible damage this is just speculation.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:07 PM   #6

Personally I wouldn't accept it. The new awning will need to be mounted in the original location. If not it will be about 16" forward or back depending on where the wall studs are. If relocated it would require exstensive siding replacement. If it was ripped out of the wall the original holes will be of no use. They may redrill the mounting holes in the vertical rails and just plug up the old holes. Something I would not want. Anyway I wouldn't hurt to express your desire for a replacement trailer. You paid for a new I damaged unit. Not a damaged and repaired unit. Would you have bought one from any dealer if they told you the awning had been torn off and repaired at the factory? Not me.
Norcalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalace View Post
Would you have bought one from any dealer if they told you the awning had been torn off and repaired at the factory? Not me.
Only if they gave me a big discount (or rebate in this case) and a lifetime warranty on anything associated with the repairs (structure, mechanism, appearance, etc).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:42 PM   #8
Site Team

Zooming in, it appears there is some damage to siding near the rear door. On a positive side the dealer did the right thing as the factory has the ability to replace the siding and any framing that may be damaged. On a totally unrelated subject. I did not see any front steps or rear door handrail. You might ask dealer to order you a new one and see what they say. They may offer an incentive to take this one once it is repaired.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:55 PM   #9
Scoundrel

I suppose its possible the repair could make the awning more secure than the way it came off the assembly line. Glass is half full.

If it were me I'd request more information about how they plan to do the repair and why I should trust it now vs when it was new?

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Zooming in, it appears there is some damage to siding near the rear door. On a positive side the dealer did the right thing as the factory has the ability to replace the siding and any framing that may be damaged. On a totally unrelated subject. I did not see any front steps or rear door handrail. You might ask dealer to order you a new one and see what they say. They may offer an incentive to take this one once it is repaired.
I agree with Flybob, if it's the factory doing the repairs, I wouldn't have any problems taking it.

Flybob, I looked on RVtrader and the front steps look like the Mor-Ryde steps that fold up and inside the trailer. Also, for some odd reason, Cherokee does not show a rear handrail. Maybe that's an option?
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:19 PM   #11

There is a small handrail on the rear door,fold up inside steps at front door! Youroo!!
Old 03-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #12

If the awning came loose and fell off on a several hour trip, think what else may be not properly attached from the factory on one of your trips. Too many RVs consider leaks and misconnected items as part of owning a RV. I wouldn't let who ever delivers the RV out of my driveway until they show me everything functions as advertised. The dealer we dealt with had overnight hookups so we could check/test/adjust everything several times and the next morning the sales person and service manager took our list and why it didn't work or corrected the situation. It sounds like your dealer took the bull by the horns and did the right thing, good luck.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #13

If you decide on keeping it i definitely would ask for a discount or some other goodies to sweeten the deal.
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:29 PM   #14

OMG I would question why it happened and keep that from happening again
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:57 PM   #15

I had the awning pop out when a microburst blew it off the side of the trailer. The mounting bracket was held in by only one screw as the other screw had gone into.... nothing! If you know why it failed you may have a better idea how bad you want to accept the damaged rig
LairdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #16
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munster View Post
I have paid for the unit and scheduled delivery.

During the delivery transit to me, the incident occurred where the awning came off. I don’t know why or all the details, but instead of returning to the dealership for the repair, the dealer told the drive to keep going and head back to the FR plant for the repair.

I have seen a picture of the unit without the awning, but it’s not the best picture and I cannot really zoom in to see the damage to the siding.

The dealer has really been great to work with and we had a lot of fun during the purchase. Once the damage occurred they were on it fast and have been pressing for a quick turnaround.

With that said it still makes me leary about accepting a damaged camper.

Then again, who better to do the repairs then the factory...
The factory will do what is needed to fix it right.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #17
54 Years, 13 RV's

Your dealer did the right thing. During many years in the RV repair industry, I did a lot of sheet metal repair and personally feel like it was a good as factory work.

From the looks of the wide- spread dings dents and minor damage, I'm sure that the factory will strip the entire side of sheet metal and replace, repair and reinforce the structure.

Your construction is much easier to repair than laminate walls. The sheet metal is lap-locked into the piece above and then stapled at the bottom of each piece. Simple to repair.

Any structural damage such as pulled screw holes, split wood etc. can easily be properly replaced by factory metal guys. I don't see a problem for you. I see a good dealer that made the right choice. And since the factory seems to be expediting your job, it should be done in a week or two.

I'd take this opportunity to do a road trip to the factory and see what they are doing. Call first.

I'd ask for a written statement from the factory that they will warranty the work for 2-4 years after warranty expiration.

Even if your dealer has a great shop and expedited your job, it would be a month at BEST for repair time.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:16 PM   #18
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfort View Post
Your dealer did the right thing. During many years in the RV repair industry, I did a lot of sheet metal repair and personally feel like it was a good as factory work.

From the looks of the wide- spread dings dents and minor damage, I'm sure that the factory will strip the entire side of sheet metal and replace, repair and reinforce the structure.

Your construction is much easier to repair than laminate walls. The sheet metal is lap-locked into the piece above and then stapled at the bottom of each piece. Simple to repair.

Any structural damage such as pulled screw holes, split wood etc. can easily be properly replaced by factory metal guys. I don't see a problem for you. I see a good dealer that made the right choice. And since the factory seems to be expediting your job, it should be done in a week or two.

I'd take this opportunity to do a road trip to the factory and see what they are doing. Call first.

I'd ask for a written statement from the factory that they will warranty the work for 2-4 years after warranty expiration.

Even if your dealer has a great shop and expedited your job, it would be a month at BEST for repair time.
X2 best place for the camper to be for the repairs is a the factory. You will never know it happend. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:27 PM   #19
54 Years, 13 RV's

If they are a good facility they may look your unit over carefully for other problems. If I was the factory Service Manager I'd do it to promote their reputation for top quality service and product support.

You might consider asking for a new, wet PDI at the factory to make you have more confidence in the product.

If they do a "great job" be sure to post it everywhere, and hand write a letter to the factory GM mentioning names.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfort View Post
If they are a good facility they may look your unit over carefully for other problems. If I was the factory Service Manager I'd do it to promote their reputation for top quality service and product support.

You might consider asking for a new, wet PDI at the factory to make you have more confidence in the product.

If they do a "great job" be sure to post it everywhere, and hand write a letter to the factory GM mentioning names.
I agree, since you own the unit but have never seen it, I think the factory repair manager will double check everything to make a great first impression. But I would insist on a PDI at the factory. And if necessary they can still tow it to your house, since you have paid the delivery fee. If you decide to tow it home, then for sure there needs to be other compensation.
larrytbm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning