Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to jerr7
Red face Awning change

Last Oct i had an accident where my Awning on my Roo23ss was damaged .I had to replace the awning and the arms that are attacted to the trailer.My question is that i upgraded the awning to the new 8500 dometic easy tilt that automatically dips to one side to alloow rain water to drain off.When they installed the new arms which attacted to the trailer they were different then the original.In order to pull the awning down, i now have to pull the tab down in the down position like i did with the original.Now i have to lift the awning at the railings to unhook the awning, which drops the awning a few inches and then i can pull down the awning . I have to reverse the same when i close it up. put the lever in up position and roll up awning and when its rolled i lift each arm to latch onto the upper frame and lock in place. Its more work then the original awning in that with other i just pulled the lever and hook the pull down black strap and pulled awning out.Does anyone have this type on their trailer. And is mine a more secure feature that prevents the awning from opening as we travel?/
any input would be helpfull
jerry
jerr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #2

I guess no one has had similar problem mm
Old 08-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #3

That would be my guess it is a securing feature to prevent the awning from deploying while traveling. Is it a real pain to use or just a inconvenience? I would rather have the inconvenience than another accident with the new awning since i am guessing it wasnt too cheap to replace . I dont know if there is a way to shorten the locking feature so you dont have to lift it up as much or even if this is a good idea.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #4

The Main Arm Assembly(#1) is set too low. It's catching on the top pivot(B1) when in the closed position.

There should be a Stop Plug(Sholder Bolt) in one of the holes in the Adjustable Arm(#4) to stop the Main Arm(#1) from drooping too low.

Note the holes, that are closer together, toward the bottom of the Adjustable Arm(picture below). The Stop Plug(Sholder Bolt) should be in one of those holes.
Adjust the hight of the Main Arm, with the Stop Bolt(Sholder Bolt), so it doesn't catch on the top pivot.

See: Stop Plug. Page 3(Fig.2), right column

Also see: Page 6(Fig. 11) for Sholder Bolt . The adjustment is explained on Page 6(step #8).
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #5

If i reading you right MILZAT,your saying that my arm#1 is too low ?i should raise the inside slide up some to another hole and this will prevent me from haveing to lift to hook on top of the roof when in closed position.?On my other awning i just pushed the safe lock in close position and let awning fold up to top and locked arms in the channel tighten the knobs and done? That was the way the other awning worked .Since i got this one i had to lift which is a pain in butt. I thought it was easy down and easy up just pull tab and im set .I hope i made clear of my problem, ill try what you said im going on trip in morning and ill wait till i get down where im going. in case i have problem they have a RV repair shop om premis. I hope all it is an adjustment of just raising the inner slide to another hole in the stop block.
jerry
https://community.webshots.com/user/j...host=community
Old 08-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #6

Mine was doing the same as you explained.
I raised the Sholder Bolt one hole up and it did not catch on the top bracket after that.
I just unlatch the awning Safe-T-Lock lever and pull on the Pull Strap.

Like I said, follow the instructions on page 6 to adjust the Sholder Bolt.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #7

Thanks Milzat. i appreciate the info, unfortunately i wont have my computer with me when im away so ill have to let you know how it comes out when i return on the 21st aug, Jerry
https://community.webshots.com/user/j...host=community

Tags
awning