Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
GSlone

Awning Cleaning

Just wondered if anyone else had this problem.

I still work so we don't get out in our RV but maybe three weeks in a year and most of that is weekend getaways. Anyway, whenever I set up and roll out the awning it is soaking wet with mildew spots on it. So with ever setup I have to wash the awing with the water/ bleach solution to clean it. I don't see anyone else doing this so just wondering if something just isn't right with the awning.

Thanks.
2009 Harley Davidson Street Glide
GSlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:32 PM   #2

I cleaned mine the other day and found out two things. The stock awning is a POS and I really really really hate cleaning the awning. Especially since it is still stained. DW came out, looked at me and said "You're all wet!". I didn't try the bleach yet.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
D W

I never use bleach. Bleach is over-rated and is too caustic for the fabric. I use Mr. Clean or Liquid Spic and Span. I apply it to the underside with one of those Windex Outdoor window spray bottles that hook to a garden hose. Apply it, then use a cheap old sponge floor mop to wipe the cleaner around to take the black spots off. Yes, you're going to get wet, but it won't be bleach dripping on you. Then rinse it down with the rinse feature. Do the top the same way. You have to let it dry completely before stowing it, or you've just wasted your time. Also, tree saps will come off with GOOF-OFF.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #4

Still working as well, but use ours about once/month. During rainy season (FL) I try to open the awning every week or two to help dry it out (keep our trailer at home).
I have also found that Aerospace 303 protectant works wonders for keeping the awning clean.
Usually just need soap and water to clean the awning. Mr. Clean sponge on the occasional trouble spot.
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
tony5oh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, cleaning