Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #1

Awning cover when in storage for winter

I have made a cover for my awning for my TT for winter storage. I used two 4" drain pipes and cut them in half. I then slid them over the awning. So far so good. See pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	9578   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	9579   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover3.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	9580  
mamentt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #2

We have a new Carefree of Colorado Pioneer awning and it has a hard cover included with it, similar to your install but it is white and smooth. I bet your's will protect as much as ours. Good job!
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #3

Neat Idea! i think i shall try that
SALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #4

Great idea. I assume you slit the drain tube down the side, not cut it in half. Right? I wonder if this concept could be made more permanent like the hard cover Dan mentions. My awning is power driven and I would think that as you motor it in and out, the awning would allow the material to be rolled up or rolled out through the slit in this tubing. Just wonder how we might make the tubing attach to the awning frame so that it would not blow off and could be trailered with it on.

Thinking about using more ridged white sewer drain pipe and would have to disassemble the awning and slide it over the material after a slit or cut was made down the pipe. Then some way to screw it to the awning supports.

I know some of the fancy Class A motor homes have their awnings with permanent hard covers that the awning rolls up into.

If I come up with something I will be sure to post it on this thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...9rr-13769.html

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7l
2006 Road Star Warrior
heytomgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #5

I cut the drain pipe down the middle with a jig saw. I then used a little muscle and spread the pipe apart, then slid it over the awning. I did tow the trailer for about 30 miles and it stayed good and tight. I think it may be just a one or two time procedure on one set of drain pipes.
mamentt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning