Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2009, 02:00 AM   #1

Awning Fabric Replacement.

Anyone here attempt to replace their awning fabric and if so what kind of problems if any did you run into?

2010 Wildcat 30LOFT
2011 RAM 3500 CCLB Cummins
HookMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:11 AM   #2

I had my awning replace two times, the first time under warrenty because it had a whole in it at time of delievery and the second time due to heavy rain. Both times it was done at the dealers. I am told it takes more then one person to do the job and I had no help. If you do it yourself do be carefull the roller is spring loaded.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Site Team

It's not a lot of trouble but you'll need help. Three people work better than two. Open the awning al the way and then push the roller toward the RV and secure it with the arms with a little slack in the fabric. You'll most likely have to remove one of the gutter ends on the RV. There should be one end of the roller with the slots open so the fabric will slide out without removing the end cap. It's just a matter of sliding the old one out and the new one back in.

I suggest finding some way to secure the roller from turning just in case the paul gets flipped while working on it. I used a piece of flat metal bent to match the roller with a hook bent in the end of it that fit in one of the slots. Several wraps of a tie down strap around it should work too. Just make sure to wrap it the right direction.

Be careful.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #4

Something else I just remenbered, when the awning was replaced the first time I had a problem with it when I rolled it up it was not square, the side arms would not slide in to each other. I had to get on the roof and push the awning roller to square it back up to close it all the way, I did this until the heavy rain came and had to replace it again. When I took it back I explain my problem to the service department, WEll come to find out when they replace the fabric first time they did not revit the fabric to the roller on each end, the fabric was free floating and did not roll square causing the awning frame to shift. So now with the second replacement they ordered the whole awning assembly from the factory and all they had to do this time is to install the whole thing. The fabric was all ready revited the the roller, and since then I have had no problems and I had a center support installed as well because the awning is 19' long. Roll out your awning and look for the revits on each end of the roller, they will have to be removed first. By the way the whole awning assembly was $1,300 installed and it was covered by my home owners insurance due to the storm.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #5

If you don't already have the Awning Replacement Instructions,
click here.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #6

Looks like it would be doable. Now to find a willing accomplice.

2010 Wildcat 30LOFT
2011 RAM 3500 CCLB Cummins
HookMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning