Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2021, 02:22 PM   #61

3 were listed in error in the 9100 listings. They are gone. They were gone inside 24 hours.
Still, there are a few around and can be found by searching 9200 parts on both the 'net and ebay.
And, the Chinese are offering them for $31 bucks each in lots of 1000. They are listed by the exporter.
JRHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:32 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
Where did you get the motor on Ebay?? Can you send a link.

FYI The motor that came with my Dometic 9200 seemingly has very little torque on retract and barely rolls it up. Maybe the struts are too powerful.
Are the rain slides just snug? They are not tightened typically. Only locked when in rain position.
Doubt the struts are the problem.
Probably as you say, motor failure.
That said, my original motor was about to lock up when I trashed it. No lube in planetary gearbox or shaft. The output shaft was binding up. The motors will likely be plentiful thru the winter. Dometic is restructuring their supply chains. My understanding is awnings are now coming out of Mexico.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:02 AM   #63

Quote:
Where did you get the motor on Ebay?? Can you send a link.

FYI The motor that came with my Dometic 9200 seemingly has very little torque on retract and barely rolls it up. Maybe the struts are too powerful.
For S&G's, this is where the motor was purchased.

"Walt's RV Parts and Supplies"
Corona, California

Rummaging through the 'net locates the company. Probably looking thru Dometic 9100 (and 9200) awning parts would also find them.
The motor was erroneously listed in 9100 listings. The only reason I found it was due to considering converting to 9100 drive system. Still might do that if any further issues...
Old 09-21-2021, 05:51 PM   #64

Dometic 9200

My RV is 13 months old. Awning motor gone. The large plastic gear in the motor is pressed onto a metal shaft that turns the cap on the awning ( no tension bar on the 9200). That plastic gear slips on the metal shaft so the motor runs but nothing moves. Motor is obsolete per dealer and Dometic.

Perhaps the 9100 motor will work as the connection on the arm is the same but the motor goes into the awning tube. Even without a torsion bar, the motor might still turn the awning tube as the 9200 does.

I’m going by the dealer tomorrow to look at a motor and will update this post.

Why install an awning that is obsolete in 1 year?
Jonathan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:58 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan B View Post
My RV is 13 months old. Awning motor gone. The large plastic gear in the motor is pressed onto a metal shaft that turns the cap on the awning ( no tension bar on the 9200). That plastic gear slips on the metal shaft so the motor runs but nothing moves. Motor is obsolete per dealer and Dometic.

Perhaps the 9100 motor will work as the connection on the arm is the same but the motor goes into the awning tube. Even without a torsion bar, the motor might still turn the awning tube as the 9200 does.

I’m going by the dealer tomorrow to look at a motor and will update this post.

Why install an awning that is obsolete in 1 year?
If changing over to 9100 motor, the torsion spring should be included in the conversion. You might end up with a "balloon" for an awning fabric. The 9100 motor doesn't have a worm gear to act as a brake or lock. It's axial and can be rotated I would guess. A used torsion spring assembly is about $150. You'll need both 9100 upper bracket roller shaft mounts. If buying a used motor, be sure returns are allowed. 9100 motors suffer from water incursion and you'll want to verify proper function. They are quite dependable typically.
No doubt a 9100 motor will extend and retract your awning, but what locks the roll? Spring?
Spoke with our dealer today and no availability date on either my 4 month b/o roller, fabric or the motor. Bummer.
I asked for permission to disassemble the new motor and verify the problem. No decision on that yet. I have everything except an armature. The noise might be a loose permanent magnet in the frame. I have a good frame. Or maybe a circlip or bearing failure?
Dometic did rapidly come thru with a new late version 300 pottie. 4 days from describing the complaint. It came with all new flange seal ($36) and bolts. Arrived in good condition. I'm happy with that.
The 9200 awning evolution must be an interesting read. Probably faulty Chinese engineering.
Creating a brass gear on a SS shaft would be easy. Lube would be critical, but it would hold.
I'd like to know what the primary failure in the 9200 moyor might be? I own 3. One motor functions perfectly (ebay motor, $200), 2nd (original) is trashed due to a hanger door swinging into the half extended awning. 3rd is functional, but sounds like an impact wrench. The 3rd was included in the new bracket set recieved on July 28. Screwed from new.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:28 PM   #66

9100 motor

JRHERE, thanks so much. Great info. Hopefully I’ll get some information from the dealer. My thought was since the motor on the 9200 simply turns the cap on the awning tube, the 9100 might, I say might do the same, but your comment about the torsion bar makes sense. Thanks!!
Old 09-22-2021, 08:52 AM   #67
JCR

Just use a damn starter motor . They aren't that big anymore and have a bunch of torque. Is that so hard to do engineers out there??.Just modify a starter motor on the tube.. Cheap and strong.
JCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:06 AM   #68
Site Team

Quote:
Just use a damn starter motor . They aren't that big anymore and have a bunch of torque. Is that so hard to do engineers out there??.Just modify a starter motor on the tube.. Cheap and strong.
Because you'd have to run BATTERY CABLES up to your awning and completely rewire your awning retract/extend buttons including heavy duty solenoids.
Maybe you were just kidding??
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:30 AM   #69

Start motor

I would imagine a rewire would be necessary to use a “damn” starter motor since their is a forward reverse needed. And, the awning arm is about 1.5” in diameter so the motor needs to somehow attach to aluminum tube out of the way to retract, sliding into the arm, etc. I’ve never seen a starter motor this small. The motor uses a bracket that wraps the motor and is slotted to attach to the awning. The driving shaft would have to be modified to fit the tube cap which turns the awning in and out. On and on and on…I would be left with a Frankenstein-like 2020 RV. But keep the suggestions coming. I’m headed to the dealer parts dept to see what options there might be for an 13 month old obsolete part. I’ve also contacted a rep at Forest River. He’s looking into it as well.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:36 AM   #70
JCR

Quote:
I would imagine a rewire would be necessary to use a “damn” starter motor since their is a forward reverse needed. And, the awning arm is about 1.5” in diameter so the motor needs to somehow attach to aluminum tube out of the way to retract, sliding into the arm, etc. I’ve never seen a starter motor this small. The motor uses a bracket that wraps the motor and is slotted to attach to the awning. The driving shaft would have to be modified to fit the tube cap which turns the awning in and out. On and on and on…I would be left with a Frankenstein-like 2020 RV. But keep the suggestions coming. I’m headed to the dealer parts dept to see what options there might be for an 13 month old obsolete part. I’ve also contacted a rep at Forest River. He’s looking into it as well.
Very easily done with some forethought and modification.I am not talking modifying an existing awning.. Designing a new one with a motor such as a starter motor concept. These are very small these days and can easily be modified in a new design. The current motor in this 9200 is great but doesnt have enough balls to overcome the struts on the way in.A starter motor would work great if designed accordingly.The point here is a STRONGER MOTOR.
JCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:47 AM   #71

Starter motor

Well, as crazy as this sounds, I’m going to look into it. The awning motor has the main plastic gear pressed onto a metal shaft. Destined to fail. So the motor runs but gear slips on the shaft.
I’ll let you know if I figure something out. Thanks again!!!!
Old 09-22-2021, 10:22 PM   #72

A car starter is massive overkill.
9100 axial motors rarely failed if properly sealed. Rain was their only "predator."
I've read that the production cost of a 9100 with the big motor and torsion spring vs the 9200 motor assembly is about 2/3s higher.
We may see a retrofit kit with an internal axial motor with a brake?
Most import car starters have a gear reduction that would be required to function. The solenoid casting would be machined off, and the motor would require an electrically isolated mount so that it could be electrically reversed when needed. No idea about how to isolate the armature? Coupling? Some other awning designs have large housings that would accommodate a smallish import starter. Or a motorcycle starter. Some Yamaha V-Twins (Virago) have tiny gear reduction starters.
Others might have. They too are frame grounded and would require isolation. Starters do not have an armature brake. A 9100 torsion spring assembly could solve that issue. Mounting a small starter inside the roller tube would be logical...think 9100?
Starter motors are high speed and designed to operate under a load. Free RPM might kill the things? Dunno.
Another obvious problem with any starter motor is the huge torque they produce. If retracting and not paying attention, starters will rip the awning out of the track...or worse. That said, the motor would do the job.
My new awning roller and fabric arrived at the dealer today. Picking it up and will let it sit until I dewinterize in April.. I'm done for the season. Plan to keep my eyes open for a Dometic recall on the 9200 motor system. If none, and there might not be a recall, I'll likely go with a 9100 drive.
I really have no idea how many 9200 awnings are operating normally, % failure rate, and overall dissatisfaction rate?
Add to the unknown, exactly what components are failing?
The faulty parts, if common, could be redesigned. My Ebay 9200 is working great. But, so did my original, yet it was binding up (undetectable) due to lack of original assembly lubrication, discovered when I disassembled the thing to see what might be salvageable. That lube thing may be a biggie? That sort of fault would take out the plastic worm gear. So will jamming the awning into the wall when retracting.
Interesting subject, however, it isn't interesting when an awning cannot be retracted on a rainy Sunday morn when trying to decamp...
Old 09-23-2021, 08:54 AM   #73

JRHERE, I’m convinced you are correct. I spent some time reaching and the possibility of using a starter motor is minimal if not impossible and an engineering nightmare. You’ve covered the obstacles well. Enough.
I went to the dealer. He immediately said I was incorrect on the obsolescence as he has ordered one. Then he noticed it was ordered in early July! After a search he agreed and was obviously surprised. I looked at the motor for the 9100 and believe it will work. I ordered one with the assurance that I can return it if necessary. Should be here Saturday. If this doesn’t work, I’m stumped.
I left another email with the FOrest River rep who was tracking down a part number for the 9200. He will let me know if other motors might fit. I’ll update as it seems this is an issue. Always issues with an RV.
Old 09-23-2021, 03:23 PM   #74

Quote:
JRHERE, I’m convinced you are correct. I spent some time reaching and the possibility of using a starter motor is minimal if not impossible and an engineering nightmare. You’ve covered the obstacles well. Enough.

I went to the dealer. He immediately said I was incorrect on the obsolescence as he has ordered one. Then he noticed it was ordered in early July! After a search he agreed and was obviously surprised. I looked at the motor for the 9100 and believe it will work. I ordered one with the assurance that I can return it if necessary. Should be here Saturday. If this doesn’t work, I’m stumped.

I left another email with the FOrest River rep who was tracking down a part number for the 9200. He will let me know if other motors might fit. I’ll update as it seems this is an issue. Always issues with an RV.
Get the appropriate LH torsion assembly too. Do a complete conversion. The spring holds the awning closed.
9100 shaft mounts fit 9200 brackets.
If no "new and improved" 9200 motor becomes available, I'll also be doing a retro 9100 conversion.
Your dealer can advise, but I'd guess that longer awnings use more powerful torsion assemblies? There are various 9100 torsion assemblies listed.
Be careful and understand how to set the torsion spring winding count (and direction?) and temporarily pin (lock) the assembly.
Post pics and results. Interesting.
Old 09-23-2021, 03:33 PM   #75

If you're talking 9200 motor part number, here it is. There are supercedes.
The upper L number ending in xxxx.001 is the motor part number. Your bracket assembly, if which the motor is a part of, is also used to source motors.
9100 parts below the 9200 motor.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210828_155534.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	263291Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210830-203558_eBay.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	263292Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210830-203742_eBay.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	263293
Old 09-23-2021, 06:34 PM   #76

JRHERE, thanks for the update. The 9200 is what I have (damaged) and can’t find. I spoke with Forest River and they say it’s still available but my dealer says otherwise. I’ll keep searching. So far Dometic and other RV parts sites sat “out of stock”. The dealer has been waiting 3+ months for one he ordered. I may have to resort to the 9100 with tension rod. Thanks again for your attention to my dilemma. Appreciated
Jb
Old 09-23-2021, 10:44 PM   #77

Quote:
JRHERE, thanks for the update. The 9200 is what I have (damaged) and can’t find. I spoke with Forest River and they say it’s still available but my dealer says otherwise. I’ll keep searching. So far Dometic and other RV parts sites sat “out of stock”. The dealer has been waiting 3+ months for one he ordered. I may have to resort to the 9100 with tension rod. Thanks again for your attention to my dilemma. Appreciated

Jb
I'm one more motor away from the same conundrum you. Lucked up and found a motor listed under 9100 parts area by mistake. Thought maybe the pic was the error, but the description was accurate. Came in correct. I now have one cracked motor (original), one new out of box failure (came with new brackets), and the ebay motor. It's working well...at this time.
Be interesting to gather data on exactly what fails on these 9200 motors. They work well when fresh. Whatever is available is a well kept secret. Just "failures"...no descriptions.
The motors are Chinese, and might be on one of the 70 something contsiner ships milling outside California's ports? Or the one that sunk recently?
They are listed for sale in lots of 1000 for $31 bucks and change each. FOB Wuhan probably?
The fact that one can find new 9100 motors and parts available in numbers, but no 9200 parts, is a sign. A bad sign for 9200 owners.
Once dead of winter strikes, those 9100 parts will be looking good. The torsion end is already below $100 bucks. 9100 motors are a bit rich for "collecting"...for now. I'll follow your conversion with interest.
I'm going to make lubing the planetary and worm an annual event. Already keep the gas shocks and Left pivot siliconed with slide out lube. The gas shocks have been known to bind. Other issues are locking down the rain angle bolts. They must be free when retracting. I see other issues such as wind beating the fabric when not fully extended (racks the plastic driven worm gear), and jamming the roll against the wall when retracting.. That also stresses the plastic gear.
As I've said, the original motor worked well. But, after it was damaged, I disassembled the unit and found zero grease where it should have been. The planet output shaft was binding up and I had to gently press it out. Cleaned up and lubed, very smooth and free. Still, not useable, but interesting to play with for a bit of insight.
The plastic driven worm gear assembly is a likely common point of failure. That item is easy to replace. A brass drive gear assembly would eliminate that weakness?
A significant number of motor faults are likely related to electrical, or high resistance wiring circuits. I plan to install relays behind the switch panel. That'll eliminate a known weak switch. Any 'warm' switch is a sign of impending failure. Bosch cubes will work nicely. Takes two relays...one for extend and one for retract.
I gotta stop with these epistles...so much to say--so little time...
Cheers!
Old 09-29-2021, 02:17 AM   #78

Ebay has another 9200 motor listing in "9100" parts. The motor part number listed is a 9200 replacement. The pic is a 9200. Shows 2 in stock.
Guy has 100% feedback...still, YMMV.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-331...-127632-2357-0Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210929-030925_eBay.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	263600
Old 09-29-2021, 02:28 AM   #79

Must be in stock now. Panther is indicating 13 9200 motor assemblies in stock..? Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210929-032607_Chrome.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	263601
Old 09-30-2021, 09:29 AM   #80

9200 motor failure

I just got my motor from PantherRV. I was on their email list to notify me when in stock. All is running. Success!! In the meantime, my dealer let me buy (and return) a motor for a 9100. It fits but will not pull the awning in with the pressure from the lift struts on both side. I think the 9100 motor requires the torsion rod on the opposite side based on the installation instructions, comparing the 9100 with the 9200. The 9200 awning doesn’t use the tension rod on the other side from the motor. (I returned the motor for a refund but a good test).

I contacted Dometic again about obsolescence. This person said the 9200 is NOT obsolete. The previous email was incorrect.

Finally, the failure point on MY Dometic™ 3317084.000U OEM RV 9200 Awning Motor Drive -3317084.000U is the large internal plastic gear that is turned by the worm gear. This “plastic” gear is pressed onto a steel shaft that in turns rotates the cap attached to the awning tube. This gear now spins on the shaft. See photo. JRHERE suggested a metal gear pressed on, perhaps with a key to hold it from spinning. I’m on the lookout as I doubt this new motor will make it 2 years.

Thanks to all

SEE PHOTOR 9200 gear failure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03F8F46F-C897-4653-AC84-AF7D6C255610.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	263674  

Tags
awning