Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2023, 04:22 PM   #121

Has your repair job using the JB weld held up?
C3rdcvtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 04:33 PM   #122

9200 awning failure

I jumped over here to see what’s going on with this. I’m actually a Keystone Montana owner (2021 model) with the same issue with the same 9200 awning motor. I was able to get a replacement from Keystone through my extended warranty after little help from Dometic, but I decided to do a repair on the one that failed so I have a backup. It did appear to me that the gear was molded to the shaft around a serrated area and a hole in the shaft which the glass filled nylon flowed. This is the point of failure, motor drives the gear but it just slips on the shaft after to fails. My guess is part of the failure comes from retracting the awning and once it touches the side of the camper, if you continue to hold the retract button it puts additional strain and torque on the joint, weakens it and eventually fails. There is no torque limiter or slip clutch to protect it. Not even the breaker trips.
After seeing some others that were repaired, I decided to make a new flanged shaft and modify the gear to marry the two together. I bored out one side of the gear just deep enough to remove the ribs and hub. Also bored the center hole to 10mm. Added holes for the rivets. The new shaft is a replica of the old with a flange integrated into the shaft. It also has holes to accept the rivets. The head of the rivet only protrudes slightly but there is a flange bronze bushing the shaft goes into that provides the clearance needed. It went together quite nicely however I have only bench tested it since I put a new one on the camper. I had a local machine shop make up the shaft and modify the gear for me. Fortunately I know the owner so he gave me a break on the cost. If this is something you are interested in doing I have pdf drawings of the parts made and more photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Aug 14 2023, 3 02 37 PM.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	296114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Aug 14 2023, 3 05 05 PM.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	296115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Aug 14 2023, 3 03 30 PM.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	296116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Aug 17 2023, 9 26 30 AM.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	296117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Aug 17 2023, 9 32 11 AM.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	296118  

Slideplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 04:49 PM   #123
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideplayer View Post
I jumped over here to see what’s going on with this. I’m actually a Keystone Montana owner (2021 model) with the same issue with the same 9200 awning motor. I was able to get a replacement from Keystone through my extended warranty after little help from Dometic, but I decided to do a repair on the one that failed so I have a backup. It did appear to me that the gear was molded to the shaft around a serrated area and a hole in the shaft which the glass filled nylon flowed. This is the point of failure, motor drives the gear but it just slips on the shaft after to fails. My guess is part of the failure comes from retracting the awning and once it touches the side of the camper, if you continue to hold the retract button it puts additional strain and torque on the joint, weakens it and eventually fails. There is no torque limiter or slip clutch to protect it. Not even the breaker trips.
After seeing some others that were repaired, I decided to make a new flanged shaft and modify the gear to marry the two together. I bored out one side of the gear just deep enough to remove the ribs and hub. Also bored the center hole to 10mm. Added holes for the rivets. The new shaft is a replica of the old with a flange integrated into the shaft. It also has holes to accept the rivets. The head of the rivet only protrudes slightly but there is a flange bronze bushing the shaft goes into that provides the clearance needed. It went together quite nicely however I have only bench tested it since I put a new one on the camper. I had a local machine shop make up the shaft and modify the gear for me. Fortunately I know the owner so he gave me a break on the cost. If this is something you are interested in doing I have pdf drawings of the parts made and more photos.
Nice work and a great 1st post!
Thanks for coming here and posting.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 03:49 PM   #124

Plastic gear trouble

Quote:
. Like more info on how you had this made
bdld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 03:58 PM   #125

Like more info getting this made a friend of mine also works at machine shop like to see if I can get on made also
Thanks bdld
Old 02-20-2024, 07:28 PM   #126

Hey bdld! So,I’m unable to post pdf format files on this portal (or at least I haven’t figured out how)but I have pdf drawings of the gear modification and the detailed shaft drawing. If you want to send me a private message with your email address, I can send you the pdf files.
Thanks, slideplayer
Old 02-21-2024, 11:22 AM   #127
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Hey bdld! So,I’m unable to post pdf format files on this portal (or at least I haven’t figured out how)but I have pdf drawings of the gear modification and the detailed shaft drawing. If you want to send me a private message with your email address, I can send you the pdf files.
Thanks, slideplayer
When you write a reply, see the little paper clip above the text box? That's what you use for attachments to your post.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 02:55 PM   #128

PDF files

Here are the pdf files for the repair I did. I actually used cold rolled steel for the shaft instead of SS, it’s a little cheaper. Also attached is a pic of the rivots that i used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Aug 17 2023, 9 18 37 AM.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	297163  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Awning Drive Gear Modification.pdf (109.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf New Awning Shaft.pdf (20.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 02-21-2024, 02:57 PM   #129

Thanks NJKris, was able to get it to work this time!
Old 02-21-2024, 03:02 PM   #130
Trailer Park Supervisor

Nice work. Always good to have this knowledge in my toolbox for if my 9200 ever fails.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:27 PM   #131

Thanks slideplayer
Got the pdf files
Thanks
bdld (Chanced name to freebrid
Old 02-21-2024, 08:15 PM   #132

Quote:
Thanks, slideplayer
Got your pdf thanks will let you know when I get one made tryed to chance my name to freebird did not take so will keep bdld
Old 02-22-2024, 02:29 PM   #133
Trailer Park Supervisor

I think you have to contact one of the site admins to change your user name. Others have done it no problem.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM   #134

Thank you

Tags
awning