Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2021, 05:20 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandog View Post
Could I get a description or a way to contact the dealer for this kit? Thanks…

We got it on eBay - exact same ad posted in response #37

Website is rvawningrepairs.com and the guy’s name is Gary in Brookings, Oregon
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:22 PM   #42

We had a local metal shop make an extension on the awning pull rod for our tall fifth wheel
Old 08-31-2021, 05:30 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
We got it on eBay - exact same ad posted in response #37

Website is rvawningrepairs.com and the guy’s name is Gary in Brookings, Oregon
Thank you!!!
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:31 PM   #44

The awning "hooks" are nothing more that 3/16" or 1/4" steel rod with a 90* bend on one end and a loop on the other end so you can hold onto it.
The 90* is used to reach up and move the awning lock into the extend position, while standing on the ground. Then, the same 90* is used to grab the pull-strap and pull it down to where you can reach it.
As stated, if you have an 11 or 12' height, you'll need to fab a rod to deal with that. Easy enough to do.
Always leave the latch in "retract" position when storing or traveling. Only unlatch when planning to immediately extend.
I've never had a failure with a manual awning. Never had a fault with a 9100 awning. My 3 year old 9200 worked flawlessly until I killed it by allowing an unsecured hanger door to swing out and damage the awning. That said, my "flawless 9200 was failing due to lack of grease in the planetary gearset/shaft assembly. I removed the planetary set since it didn't appear damaged and it would not rotate without a wrench on the shaft. The shaft was on the verge of locking up, thus about to strip the worm driven gear. Pressed the shaft out, no apparent damage. Cleaned up the bore, lubed and it spins happily. I believe a lot of 9200 failures are due to this sort of poor assembly.
Be careful when switching the strap from your hand to the hook when retracting as it'll retract quite rapidly on its own once 75% retracted. Don't want that.
The gas shocks on both 9100 and 9200 will help push the awning out. A 9100 has a torsion spring that might be required to be installed on a 9200 manual conversion. 9200 awnings do not have the rearward (Left) torsion spring. It can be installed in a 9200. Maybe contact the manufacturer for guidance?
A 9200 motor only labors when retracting. It extends with very little load. If rain is observed pooled up, that needs to be dumped (and avoided) before retracting any awning. Especially 9200 units.
JRHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:37 PM   #45

Awning hook.
Figure out the length and bend it up. Or, if they are long enough, (44"?) ebay offers telescoping hooks.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210901-003234_eBay.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	262046Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210901-003616_eBay.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	262047
Old 09-01-2021, 06:46 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHERE View Post
Awning hook.
Figure out the length and bend it up. Or, if they are long enough, (44"?) ebay offers telescoping hooks.
Attachment 262046Attachment 262047

The problem with a longer rod is it can get too flimsy in the middle to handle correctly…..the telescoping rod would most likely have this problem also…..

the fab shop made ours one piece out of the original rod stock so it is stiff enough to not bend while under pressure
Old 09-01-2021, 07:31 AM   #47
JCR

The 9200 is a very good design..EXCEPT FOR THE MOTOR. If it was bigger or more powerful it would be a nice clean mechanism.. Simple to service and operate. Some say its losing voltage through the switch but redesigning the electrics would make this an ideal awning. Dometic listen UP!
JCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
The 9200 is a very good design..EXCEPT FOR THE MOTOR. If it was bigger or more powerful it would be a nice clean mechanism.. Simple to service and operate. Some say its losing voltage through the switch but redesigning the electrics would make this an ideal awning. Dometic listen UP!
Good point re the switch wiring. It would be possible to add a relay and dedicated B+ right behind the lower bracket. The wiring would be simple enough. Use the switched power to manage the relay. The relay could also be mounted behind the switch panel in suppose?
This describes my 31V. I can access the area behind the lower front (right) bracket. The new brackets are drilled for both basement and standard wiring.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:14 PM   #49
RiderBloke

Re the 9200 awning motor:
Has anyone tried using a friend or two to push on the awning arms to assist the motor? Does it work? That certainly would give the “motor is too weak” theory some validity.
Has anyone installed a stronger motor - no doubt with quite some modification to the arm? Or has anyone tried a second motor perhaps at the other arm?
Waiting for the factory fix if it ever does come - well I might not live that long.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:27 PM   #50
JCR

Yes,when you push and assist is seems to help.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:19 PM   #51

As many of you have stated, the problem actually is the motor. I originally thought because the motor was running/turning that it was another issue. But I had it in to the shop for a diagnosis (which my warranty company required) and the tech said I need a new motor. Well you all know how sparse those are now! Who knows when they'll get one! So we're using our pop-up canopy for now, and we still have a second awning on the rig. I'm just afraid to keep using it though. Thinking about the backward conversion to a manual awning. Funny how using older technology would actually be an UPGRADE in this case.
ChuckGreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:49 AM   #52

9100 also retrofits, albeit at some cost and effort. 9100 awning motors have a much better track record in comparison to 9200s. The 9200 was a cheap-out. Much less expensive to build without the big 9100 motor and torsion spring assembly. Good concept that failed to perform.
The 9200 motor is size-bound by the brackets. If a longer, more powerful motor is possible, that could be fitted into the arm. Or, regear the motor for slower speed.
Even then, the worm gear failures would increase unless drive gears are improved. 9200 motors fail for myriad reasons.
Dometic surely has an understanding of what actions could be taken to improve the life of 9200 motors.
For my part, I've developed a significantly different view of Dometic's "quality control" after dealing with my 9200 awning. No awning all summer after spending $1800 bucks. After considerable effort, I now have a functioning awning, using old and new parts picked up from all over the US. Dealer has no control over this situation. Still...?
Old 09-10-2021, 11:06 AM   #53
JCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHERE View Post
9100 also retrofits, albeit at some cost and effort. 9100 awning motors have a much better track record in comparison to 9200s. The 9200 was a cheap-out. Much less expensive to build without the big 9100 motor and torsion spring assembly. Good concept that failed to perform.
The 9200 motor is size-bound by the brackets. If a longer, more powerful motor is possible, that could be fitted into the arm. Or, regear the motor for slower speed.
Even then, the worm gear failures would increase unless drive gears are improved. 9200 motors fail for myriad reasons.
Dometic surely has an understanding of what actions could be taken to improve the life of 9200 motors.
For my part, I've developed a significantly different view of Dometic's "quality control" after dealing with my 9200 awning. No awning all summer after spending $1800 bucks. After considerable effort, I now have a functioning awning, using old and new parts picked up from all over the US. Dealer has no control over this situation. Still...?
Exactly..
However i think the 9200 would be a nice design only if they could improve the motor torque specifications. The gears in my view are sized Ok for the application but a bigger more powerful motor married to the gear box would be sufficient. I am never in favor of nylon gears and that also should be improved. I suppose the other option would be to re design the gearing and that might resolve the issue however the switch needs to be addressed as well as the contacts are not the best and corrode easily.
Dometic quality has fallen over the years for sure.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:00 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckGreco View Post
Hopefully someone is still watching this thread. Our 9200 is a year old, and today it decided to not retract. Here's what I know...the motor is fine. Spinning the little manual retract nut just fine. Tried to manually take it in with a drill, but as I suspected that didn't do anything but spin. It's not catching anything. There's no odd sounds, just the sound of a motor running when we push the switch. We had to roll the thing in by hand and tie it off. We're at a campground now so I don't have the tools or desire to tear it apart until I get home. Anyone know why the thing won't move even though the motor runs? No matter what direction we try it barely budges.
Thanks for any help/insight you can give.
Look at this post. I guarantee the gear in your motor has come loose from the shaft. Look for the youtube video's I recorded.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ph-237796.html
DeanHensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:34 PM   #55
JCR

Old 09-10-2021, 03:20 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
Drive gear slipping on the shaft. Where can you buy a new drive gear? You're exactly right in the video, Plastic on Metal is going to fail. Mine did.
DeanHensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:16 AM   #57

Yep my motor runs fine but awning won’t retract: Can’t find a new one anywhere: called Dometic and they said they have no idea when they’ll be available. I’m changing to manual set up. Absolutely hate Dometic for this and will never recommend them for anything again. Building junk and they don’t care.
05 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0
Wife W/3 rescue dogs & 12-16 chickens
Old 09-15-2021, 10:25 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandog View Post
Yep my motor runs fine but awning won’t retract: Can’t find a new one anywhere: called Dometic and they said they have no idea when they’ll be available. I’m changing to manual set up. Absolutely hate Dometic for this and will never recommend them for anything again. Building junk and they don’t care.
Bump...thinking about your awning motor fault.
A solution could be to remove the worm driven gear, see if the plastic gear will pull off, or press off, drill the shaft for a small roll pin then using a dremel, mill two matching slots into the gear and reassemble.
This assumes that the bond between the the gear and shaft is at fault. And the gear isn't destroyed. And not under warranty.
The above can be implemented without removing the motor, or roll tube end cap. Remove the planetary gearbox cap screws, the motor and gearbox will separate, and the shaft/gear assembly will pull out without issue. No further disassembly required. The sun and planet gears will remain in place behind an easily removed cover. I'd pull that out too and check for lube. The main planetary output shaft will not pull out without drilling out the roll tube endcap rivets and unlocking the shaft clip. Mitor replacement requires drilling out the rivets and removing the end cap. The OEM rivets are stainless steel. I used aluminum rivets due to still having to replace the roller and fabric when it (if?) becomes available. I'll finish with SS once completed.
The motor output shaft and the left support requires an occasional squirt of silicone lube. I use slide lube.
The only other issue would be if the worm drive gear teeth are screwed. But you said that you were able to roll it up by hand and that would not be possible if only a few worm teeth were missing.
Be sure and have support for the roll tube while you do this. Easier if the awning is extended. The tube is not heavy. I use a drilled 2x4 and strap to support mine when apart.
Bought a motor for $200 bucks off ebay. Works perfectly. It occurs to me that the most stressful motor activity might be jamming the roll tightly against the rail when retracting. I'm snugging, but stopping before it bogs the motor. It has plenty torque to extend and retract without bogging down.
Another issue could relate to heating the motor and drive with repeated adjustment...?
Dometic has a specific standard for where to stop when extending.
Still waiting on a return call regarding my brand new, but failed motor. I'm guessing the new bracket assembly motor that was bad out of the box might have been swapped out during the two months that the bracket assembly was sitting in the dealer's warehouse? They knew that the roller and fabric was on perpetual b/o. Just a guess...? Going on 4 months now since original order.
Now I'm in direct contact with Dometic re our 300 recalled pottie. Apparently they have replacements in house.. we shall see....
Apologies for the epistle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210828_155608.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	262888Click image for larger version

Name:	20210808_133723.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	262889
Old 09-16-2021, 05:02 AM   #59

jRHere, thank you a bunch. Yeah right now being under an extended warranty is why I choose to wait a while. Hopefully the motor will become available. Thanks again as I may have to do what your saying eventually!
Old 09-16-2021, 05:14 AM   #60
JCR

Where did you get the motor on Ebay?? Can you send a link.
FYI The motor that came with my Dometic 9200 seemingly has very little torque on retract and barely rolls it up. Maybe the struts are too powerful.

Tags
awning