Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
Mij

Awning in wrong spot?

Just purchased a 2014 Coachman Catalina 40TBS. In the brochure shows the awning starting on the front of the camper and going toward the rear of the camper thus covering both entrance doors to the camper. When actually the awning starts in the middle of the camper and going to the rear giving coverage to the patio entrance only....What the....has anyone run into this when shopping for campers. I would much rather have the awning over both entrance doors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40TBS.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	45740  
Attached Images

Mij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
Always Learning

This likely falls into the "we reserve the right to make changes as time goes on" line of small text in the brochure. I know that I lobbied my manufacturer to move the awning back on our camper as they were doing the prototyping. My reasoning is that the campsite layouts are typically wider in the rear. It didn't change the door coverage on ours, though.

I'm not sure what your recourse here is, unfortunately. Maybe you can talk to your dealer about a second awning.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #3

The awning can be moved or you could add a second one or you could just live with it. I ordered my Gulf Stream and the dealer asked me if I wanted to specify where the awning would be positioned. I did and it was positioned exactly where I had asked for it to be. I made an assumption about where the outdoor shower would be based on where it was located on the exact model with a key option (front queen vs bunk room)...however, they relocated it for another option (10 gallon hot water heater). Oh well.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:51 AM   #4
Professional Curmudgeon

Personally, I'd be upset if such a thing happened to me. However, this may be a blessing in disguise.
Since this is a park model, I assume it's going on a seasonal site and you will build a deck at the patio door. The awning, as mounted, will allow you to cover such a deck quite effectively. You can mount a second awning on the front half of the camper, which does a couple things.
It keeps the width of the awning down to a size that is less prone to sagging in the middle, and it allows you greater flexibility in awning deployment.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #5

I'm guessing it has something to do with that window and/or water heater! Either way it's poor planning on their part.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I would consider it lucky, and add a second awning to cover the entire length!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
Canadian Member

I'm with you Mij. It makes no sense to not have the awning over the second door like its shown in the floor plan. I would definitely inquire with the factory.
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
Mij

I spoke with the dealer and as stated above, coachman is not holding any value to their flyer. I know they would move it for me but not sure I want to deal with holes and dents in the siding. I guess Im not worried about it yet until I get the camper on the site and how it works out
Old 02-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I would consider it lucky, and add a second awning to cover the entire length!
Ditto!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #10

Adding a second awning sounds like a great idea. Especially if the dealer added it at their cost.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
Mij

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post
Adding a second awning sounds like a great idea. Especially if the dealer added it at their cost.
Im doubting the dealer is going to buy me a $700 awning, could probably build a permanent awning for that $

Tags
awning