Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #1

awning issue

my 9100 series will not close completely at the top of one side--about 1/2'" gap---any idea as to what I should look for?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Awning Issue.pdf (299.2 KB, 83 views)
kopy kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #2

Is their a gap between the rolled up awning and the unit? Can't tell by the picture.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
"Roughing it since 2000"

Mine does this also. I leave that side up one notch and it goes up correctly. Probably an adjustment somewhere to correct this but the way I do it,it works just fine.
2007flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopy kat View Post
my 9100 series will not close completely at the top of one side--about 1/2'" gap---any idea as to what I should look for?
Unroll the awning and measure very accurately the distance from the material to the end caps. That distance must be the same on both ends. Once you get the material centered, run the awning in and out to see if it will close. Once you determine it will close, run it out again, verify the material is centered and pop rivet per the attached picture. Make sure the knobs are at least 1 -1.5 turns from being tight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pop Rivet in Awning.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	35029  
Old 07-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Appears the fabric did not wind on the roller tube true. IE the back started rolling first and the front lagged behind a small amount. Next time you roll it up maybe have someone resist the back arm a small amount and hopefully the front will take the lead slightly. If it won't I'd use a heavy Ty-rap secure it under way to prevent billowing of the material. Otherwise you may loose your awning.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Appears the fabric did not wind on the roller tube true. IE the back started rolling first and the front lagged behind a small amount. Next time you roll it up maybe have someone resist the back arm a small amount and hopefully the front will take the lead slightly. If it won't I'd use a heavy Ty-rap secure it under way to prevent billowing of the material. Otherwise you may loose your awning.
Vince, that's because the material is not centered. Even being off 1/4" will cause it. Fought it for several days a few yrs ago until the light finally came on and I centered and riveted the material and have not had a problem since.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #7

Awning material is centered-no problem there that I can see.
The issue as far as I can determine is the "outer arm" does not slide over / cover the "inner arm" at the top. I cannot see a way to adjust anything to correct this issue.
kopy kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Unless you've measured it, it can fool you. Would just about guarantee it's the material not being centered. It even effected the old manual awnings I had.
You have nothing to loose by moving the material one way or the other and seeing what it does. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #9

Quote:
The issue as far as I can determine is the "outer arm" does not slide over / cover the "inner arm" at the top. I cannot see a way to adjust anything to correct this issue.
Agree with Old Coot, something is pulling the cloth aft or back. The arms on the electric and manual will be pulled with the cloth and not "go home". You need to find what's pulling it back.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Seriously, 1/4 inch out is enough to cause this problem.
Don't know about you, but my Mark I Eyeball can't measure 1/4 inch without a ladder.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Have someone press the button, when you start to get close hit the arm in and see if it will close up even that way. I had to push my arm over a little one time and never had a problem since, These auto awning arms are not built to well, I really like the manual a lot better.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote