Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #1

Awning leaks

I'm not sure if this subject has been talked about before or not, but...We just purchased our 2014 salem TT onlt a few months ago and have actually only really used it once about three times. The problem is that when it rains, the gutter/awning leak like crazy right above the door. It has been to Camping World twice now, with some very crappy attempts at fixing it.( Caulk, etc.)It appears that the metal channel( that in my opinion should be a one piece deal, is actually 2 pieces) and the seam doesn't meet at all allowing water to pour through. I guess what I'm asking is...has anyone else had this problem? Should I contact Forest River? or should I just suck it up and attempt to fix/seal it myself. The guy at CW told me that part is not going to really ever be completely sealed. (I call BS on that one). Looking forward to hearing back on this. Here are a few pics I took.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140316_122116.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	47878

Name:	20140316_122140.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	47879

Name:	20140316_122205.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	47880
thegreatoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #2

That should be warranty, or you can just seal it with I think you spell it Delco sold by CW and seal it yourself comes in a caulking tube. do not use the self leveling one, they have 2 types. 1/2 looks like it is bent so pound that back in.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Go to the Goshen Rally and have it replaced. No pain, no strain.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #4

I was thinking warranty also, but CW have really halfassed this repair, to the point that I'm tired of dealing with them. Would I be able to contact FR and deal with them?
Old 03-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatoutdoors View Post
I was thinking warranty also, but CW have really halfassed this repair, to the point that I'm tired of dealing with them. Would I be able to contact FR and deal with them?
Sorta what OC was implying

Goshen rally is held at the FR 'Mother Ship' and FR techs are all over the rally doing repairs
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #6

LOL, so when does this rally take place? Not that I'll drag my TT there to have it fixed. I think if FR can resolve it locally it would be a much better deal.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Sorta what OC was implying

Goshen rally is held at the FR 'Mother Ship' and FR techs are all over the rally doing repairs
And what is absolutely amazing is, the repairs are FREE. At least I have not heard of anyone having to pay anything. Fantastic PR for Forest River.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #8

Quote:
LOL, so when does this rally take place? Not that I'll drag my TT there to have it fixed. I think if FR can resolve it locally it would be a much better deal.
Yeah, when I try to imagine what it will be like going in and out of the trailer with rain pouring down on you....I'd want FR to get it fixed right now. If Camping World can't do it, I'm sure FR can find a dealer that will.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Yeah, when I try to imagine what it will be like going in and out of the trailer with rain pouring down on you....I'd want FR to get it fixed right now. If Camping World can't do it, I'm sure FR can find a dealer that will.
Thats what I was kind of thinking too mjones12. Water pouring down right over the door on you when you open it leads to water on the floor of the trailer. I have been looking for a # where I can contact FR and voice my problem to them but not sure who to really contact there.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #10

Quote:

Did you buy it from CW? If you did I would think that you will have to deal with them for any warranty work that you do not pay for.

I am having some (should be) 'warranty' work done at another Dealer where I did not buy my camper. Told them upfront that I will pay for all work that was done by them out of my own pocket. Sometimes we end up spending a dollar to save a dime for 'warranty' work and it is not worth the dime or the dollar.I am also going to have them do a front to back evaluation of the unit and give me a print out.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Did you buy it from CW? If you did I would think that you will have to deal with them for any warranty work that you do not pay for.

I am having some (should be) 'warranty' work done at another Dealer where I did not buy my camper. Told them upfront that I will pay for all work that was done by them out of my own pocket. Sometimes we end up spending a dollar to save a dime for 'warranty' work and it is not worth the dime or the dollar.I am also going to have them do a front to back evaluation of the unit and give me a print out.
Yeah, it was purchased at CW, and the repair guy said that would not be a complete seal anyway(BS in my opinion). I have had it there for some other issues too and was told that the service manager would have to be the one to approve any warranty repairs with new parts.???
Old 03-17-2014, 01:53 PM   #12

I am not sure on what really to advise. Your BS meter is going off and that does mean a lot. Is the CW near you. Look at all of the units on their lot that is like yours, (or any Dealer lot that has the same brands) and if the channels are all the same (sectional, over the canopy) then I would think that there is little that you can do to have them change out the channel. If some are close to the full length or at least not over the canopy, then that should be brought up. Any channel leaking will either run down/through the canopy or run down the side of your unit and cause unsightly streaks. Address it now, because it will only get worse.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #13

Quote:
I am not sure on what really to advise. Your BS meter is going off and that does mean a lot. Is the CW near you. Look at all of the units on their lot that is like yours, (or any Dealer lot that has the same brands) and if the channels are all the same (sectional, over the canopy) then I would think that there is little that you can do to have them change out the channel. If some are close to the full length or at least not over the canopy, then that should be brought up. Any channel leaking will either run down/through the canopy or run down the side of your unit and cause unsightly streaks. Address it now, because it will only get worse.
Thats a good idea Brother Les. I never even thought about going to look at others on the lot. They are fairly close to me. I agree with you on the unsightly marks, they are already starting to appear elsewhere on the trailer. But i guess they all cant be prevented. Thanks for pointing out an obvious (but well overlooked by me) method to finding out if this is a poor installation or just a poor assembly in general.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Thats a good idea Brother Les. I never even thought about going to look at others on the lot. They are fairly close to me. I agree with you on the unsightly marks, they are already starting to appear elsewhere on the trailer. But i guess they all cant be prevented. Thanks for pointing out an obvious (but well overlooked by me) method to finding out if this is a poor installation or just a poor assembly in general.

Streaks will happen, but the gutters are put there for a reason. And your gutters are not working the way that they should. CW should be able to fix this a lot better than they have. I am a 'Good Sams' life member and CW seem to always help me to the utmost, there is one about 8 miles from my home. But with that said, there is another Dealer near to where I live and he is where I always take my unit to get any no warranty work done. He has treated me very well over the years and I am loyal to him because of that. When I was looking for a new unit last year, he was the first place that I went. He was not a 'Dealer' for the unit that the wife wanted but he gave me advice on where to look them over and where to shy away from. No one is 'married' to any Dealer after the warranty runs out. Learn how to work on your own unit and/or find a Dealer you like and trust will make life so much easier.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Streaks will happen, but the gutters are put there for a reason. And your gutters are not working the way that they should. CW should be able to fix this a lot better than they have. I am a 'Good Sams' life member and CW seem to always help me to the utmost, there is one about 8 miles from my home. But with that said, there is another Dealer near to where I live and he is where I always take my unit to get any no warranty work done. He has treated me very well over the years and I am loyal to him because of that. When I was looking for a new unit last year, he was the first place that I went. He was not a 'Dealer' for the unit that the wife wanted but he gave me advice on where to look them over and where to shy away from. No one is 'married' to any Dealer after the warranty runs out. Learn how to work on your own unit and/or find a Dealer you like and trust will make life so much easier.
Agreed in full. CW here is not the best I'm sure, but I too am a good sams member. I will check out their lot today, cuz its raining. No better time.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatoutdoors
I'm not sure if this subject has been talked about before or not, but...We just purchased our 2014 salem TT onlt a few months ago and have actually only really used it once about three times. The problem is that when it rains, the gutter/awning leak like crazy right above the door. It has been to Camping World twice now, with some very crappy attempts at fixing it.( Caulk, etc.)It appears that the metal channel( that in my opinion should be a one piece deal, is actually 2 pieces) and the seam doesn't meet at all allowing water to pour through. I guess what I'm asking is...has anyone else had this problem? Should I contact Forest River? or should I just suck it up and attempt to fix/seal it myself. The guy at CW told me that part is not going to really ever be completely sealed. (I call BS on that one). Looking forward to hearing back on this. Here are a few pics I took.
Thats one of the ugliest installs I've seen. The thread seams of the awning look to be weeping also. I'd complain to on high also. Ependydad published a full list of FR reps yesterday. Send him a PM or check his posts.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Thats one of the ugliest installs I've seen. The thread seams of the awning look to be weeping also. I'd complain to on high also. Ependydad published a full list of FR reps yesterday. Send him a PM or check his posts.
Indeed it is the ugliest ever. I'm not real happy about. I did go to CW yesterday while it was raining and all of their salems Leak at the joint in the gutter but the are in different locations. Going to contact FR and send them pics and see what they say.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Indeed it is the ugliest ever. I'm not real happy about. I did go to CW yesterday while it was raining and all of their salems Leak at the joint in the gutter but the are in different locations. Going to contact FR and send them pics and see what they say.
Good idea. I'd be surprised if FR doesn't strongly encourage CW to get it right, because it's sure not right as it is now. Good luck.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #19

Would you keep us updated on how this proceeds.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Good idea. I'd be surprised if FR doesn't strongly encourage CW to get it right, because it's sure not right as it is now. Good luck.
Just sent FR an email pics included. Thanks for the luck

Tags
awning, leak