Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2020, 08:02 PM   #1

Awning Motor

Our awning will extend at a normal pace but retracts extremely slowly, almost to the point it looks like it will stop. Our selling dealer performed a diagnostic on it and stated a bad motor. This information was relayed to Dometic, but they have refused to authorize a replacement because it still works and Dometic states that it is normal for them to retract slowly. Just curious what others think if this is baloney or do these things really suppose to operate like this.
Retired Law Enforcement
TT 2020 Flagstaff 22FBS
TV 2007 Dodge RAM 2500 (aka Big Red)
woolfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:16 PM   #2

My Dometic awning retracts at about the same time as extends. In fact, shouldn't retract be faster, judging from the videos when you have to manually retract the awning by disconnecting the motor? Doesn't it retract by itself?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:56 PM   #3

I have the lippert electric awning and when closing it would chatter i cleaned struts and lubed everything it helped but would chatter still sometimes.one day wife closed awning while I was at work got home notice that wasn't closed all the way i went to close it nothing in or out thought motor died so i manually opened anwing up got it to work then it quit got messing with wires and found at one of the arm pivots had pulled and streched the wires and broke insulation and couple of strand wire making contact with other wires and tripping the circuit breaker i fixed that now i dont have the chatter anymore also it is a tad slower when closing.
Anyway sorry for the rambling you may want check the wiring
Gmoney67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:12 PM   #4

I have a Dometric starts to retract normally then about 1/2 way it slows down then around 3/4 it speeds back up. Avalon RV said it was normal on newer awnings.

KE8SDQ
Ryan-OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning