Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2021, 04:19 PM   #1

Awning ok 1 min the next this

Ok I have the Dometic 9100 awning. my 2107 Forest River Surveyor I bought new. Luck has it or maybe not, I found the Awning was missing the bottom screw holding the channel to the rv side wall. As I removed the cover inside the channel I then found there were no screw there either. the screw at the top holding were the only screw on that side of the awning. I go the the dealer and show video etc and I am given the dometic hex head screw to install. Simple screw in where the hole are on the channel. Easy enough. He noticed the screw heads on the other side of the awning channel looked incorrect and that I should check the and replace with the hex head screws. The screw were very loose and probably #8 and should be #10 hex head. I did read this on the instruction Manuel I found. So hes sai awning had to be out to get the the hole. Of course. Well I put it out all the way and put in the new screws one hole at a time, and replace the other end of loose screw one at a time. The arms bent when I brought it back in with not noise I could hear from inside at the button. What did I don wrong. Hopefully the picture is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5151.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	254640  
ronthet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:45 AM   #2

I would guess when you extended the awning to attach the fasteners in the support on the rig you tightened the arm screws and forgot to release them poor to retracting the awning. Seems like you had the door closed while retracting so no sound. Myself I do not extend or retract without have the door open so I can see and hear what is happening. Should something like this happen to my awning I will replace it with the old style mechanical awning far superior in strength to these electric awnings. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:52 AM   #3

Was this screw tight when you retracted the awning?
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2021, 02:07 PM   #4

ok wondering if it has anything to do with distance of arm out as i was putting in screws. Most install and removal show to just put awning out mayber 12 inch and use tire wrap to hole the arm in place before removal. As I mention to another comment what you do not see is the awning was over lapping over itself and it did push the tube about 7-10 inch away from the arm toward back of camper. that arm also is push behind the arm a few inches.

I guess best question would be any suggestion on removing the arms or the whole awning. I obviously cannot extend out 12 inch or so and zip tie the arm the way they should be to removed. Think i should just remove from the tube in place the way they are and put tube on top of trailer roll it out to ground then walk it out of the top channel. I think this on is done so a new one needs to go on.
ronthet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:30 PM   #5

I'm not following how you ae planning on doing this. What I would do is get a little slack in the fabric and pin the non-motor end you can use the motor to bump the awning tube to align the securing pin. Once secured remove tube from arms and lower it to a couple of saw horses. then securing the pin end with vice grips remove the securing pin and count the number of turns and direction it takes to remove the tension from the spring. Drill out the rivets remove the spring and then remove the awning cloth from the tube. Next remove the awning fabric from the rig and finally remove all the hardware. You can fold up the awning cloth and stow the tube on top of the rig. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:47 PM   #6

ask your insurance agent.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewman View Post
Looks like it is still tight? With all that pressure that arm should have slid in..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:11 PM   #8
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewman View Post
Yes sir! That pitch arm is locked or jammed. With the awning fully retracted the pitch arm should be fully collapsed and in the mounting channel.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:59 PM   #9

I am wondering if the arm got jammed against one of the new screw heads in the channel so that it I did not slide down with way it is designed do to do.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
I am wondering if the arm got jammed against one of the new screw heads in the channel so that it I did not slide down with way it is designed do to do.
I think you hit the screw on the head...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronthet View Post
Ok I have the Dometic 9100 awning. my 2107 Forest River Surveyor I bought new. Luck has it or maybe not, I found the Awning was missing the bottom screw holding the channel to the rv side wall. As I removed the cover inside the channel I then found there were no screw there either. the screw at the top holding were the only screw on that side of the awning. I go the the dealer and show video etc and I am given the dometic hex head screw to install. Simple screw in where the hole are on the channel. Easy enough. He noticed the screw heads on the other side of the awning channel looked incorrect and that I should check the and replace with the hex head screws. The screw were very loose and probably #8 and should be #10 hex head. I did read this on the instruction Manuel I found. So hes sai awning had to be out to get the the hole. Of course. Well I put it out all the way and put in the new screws one hole at a time, and replace the other end of loose screw one at a time. The arms bent when I brought it back in with not noise I could hear from inside at the button. What did I don wrong. Hopefully the picture is attached.
Looks like the awning slid in the awning rail.
almcguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning