Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2021, 03:16 PM   #61

Received parts then had to ask for the instructions. Here they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedobias View Post
After seeing the initial post about billowing at 60 MPH and reading about a pile of bent and twisted awnings after the Mackinaw bridge, I contacted Lippert because my trailer used Solera from Lippert for both the slide topper and 20' wide awning. I find it amazing they replied with the following with no model numbers, only that it was a new Apex trailer.

So word of caution - I don't know if these parts will fit, but I will find out.

EmailToCase <customerservice@lci1.com>
To:

Mon, Aug 23 at 1:15 PM

Hi David,

Thanks for reaching out to Lippert.

Absolutely, we have and travel lock for a Solera patio awning, and an anti billow device for Solera slide toppers.

The travel lock would require each of the following parts in the quantity listed to the left:
1 - WIRE BAIL LATCH WITH CATCH 233984
1 - SPACER, BLOCK 289428
2 - NUT - #6 - 32 HEX NYLON INSERT 272458
2 - SCREW - #6 296414
2 - RIVET - 1/8" X .337; SST/SST 255902

The anti-billow device for the slide toppers is
728810 ANTI-BILLOW - SLIDE TOPPER - KIT; BLACK
728811 ANTI-BILLOW - SLIDE TOPPER - KIT; WHITE

You can order these here: https://store.lci1.com/quickorder/ or by calling us at 432-Lippert.

Thank you much!

Logan Williams
Contact Center Parts Representative
w: 574.537.8900 | f: 574.534.7161
Received parts then had to ask for the instructions. Here they are. Now I have to order another set for the slide topper and get both installed.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0001299.pdf
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:17 AM   #62
MCTroy

Dedobis maybe you can post a picture of your finished project.
This sounds helpful. And maybe not too complicated.
Thanks.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:56 AM   #63

As soon as I do it, probably not till spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Dedobis maybe you can post a picture of your finished project.
This sounds helpful. And maybe not too complicated.
Thanks.
Don't know if I will get this done before putting it up for the winter. I will post pictures as soon as get to it showing what it took.. The instructions are pretty good. Grab the pdf from the link and it should help for now. Off to order a second set of parts for my slide topper! Want to do both at the same time. It took about 3 weeks to get the parts on the first set.

Dave
Old 09-24-2021, 07:03 AM   #64

Side note - I may use rivits instead of screws into the fiberglass

Side note - I may use rivits instead of screws into the fiberglass. These worked great on a door stop I installed into the rear wall. Used the sealant adhesive show under the rivits and pumped each hole full before putting the rvits in and buttered the rivits as well then wiped up the excess after putting them in..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-02-2021, 09:37 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
When we removed our dead awning motor to replace it with an old school manual retro kit, we discovered the roller actually has two springs inside that work in opposition to each other

The motor end actually has its spring wound to retract the awning and the non-motor end spring is wound in the opposite direction and is used to hold awning out - the motor just provides the power to turn the fabric roller in each direction and the springs do the work just like a garage door spring setup

It sounds as if you had a major failure in one if not both of those springs for it to deploy in transit - hope you get it repaired quickly with no more issues
How did you remove the motor and convert your power awning to manual?

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:54 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
How did you remove the motor and convert your power awning to manual?

We ordered the kit on eBay - hardest part was getting tension right and we had to have a longer awning pull rod made to reach it
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 12:36 AM   #67

Mine has failed as well. I have a dometic 9200 and it would retract either manually or normal. As the guy in the videos demonstrated this is a fault in that motor with the one gear slipping. This is a very poor design. I'm stuck with having to buy a new one.
fredoe61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:40 PM   #68

Happened to us too!

Driving down a state highway at 50-55 mph, no crosswinds. Thank God no one was behind us or in oncoming lane. A traveler saw it, turned around quick and pulled the awning from the middle of the road just in time for a semi to come through. We have a 2017 Forest river ultralite rockwood 31' and our awning was 21'.

I contacted dometic and they told me that it wasn't under warranty nor was it covered under their recall even though the recall was for the same thing that happened to us. Very frustrating!

We still haven't replaced it over a year later but sure as heck don't want another dometic!
Shortnfiery1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 07:50 PM   #69

Doesn't fit lippert solera awnings and slideout toppers

I tried to install these today. The diameter is too small for both.the topper and awning! On the instructions it says it is for aftermarket. No idea whose awnings or slide toppers it fits. I can check the diameter but I don't know what it fits. I contacted one guy that has supposedly made them to fit other brands but no Joy. I'll keep tryinng but my trip is 2 weeks over the Mackinaw Bridhe which is notorius for billowing them off trailers.

So for anyone that has usefd tie wraps or split drainage tubing, I'm asking for help. What can I do to tie wrap it down??????
Old 06-11-2022, 08:14 PM   #70

I'm seriouslybconsidering an arm that swings down next to the drum the awning rolls up on and a pin into the drum since tie wrapping the arms appears to have no effect. Thoughts? I know I'd have to remove the pins to put it out.,,
Old 06-11-2022, 08:21 PM   #71

I just replaced my Dometic 9200 awning motor that failed after 4 uses. When this model fails it has no resistance to rolling out. Thankfully no issues happened. So I use 2 orange motorcycle straps that I cut short, ran one behind each awning mount on side of trailer. They have a quick pull type buckle and are real easy to use. The orange color ensures I’ll see them and not forget…..Just what I do and it cost a whole $8….
05 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0
Wife W/3 rescue dogs & 12-16 chickens
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:21 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedobias View Post
I'm seriouslybconsidering an arm that swings down next to the drum the awning rolls up on and a pin into the drum since tie wrapping the arms appears to have no effect. Thoughts? I know I'd have to remove the pins to put it out.,,
Thete are two unused slots/ holes iin the drum. A plate with a pin in one of them through the end cap should do it!
Old 06-11-2022, 08:23 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandog View Post
I just replaced my Dometic 9200 awning motor that failed after 4 uses. When this model fails it has no resistance to rolling out. Thankfully no issues happened. So I use 2 orange motorcycle straps that I cut short, ran one behind each awning mount on side of trailer. They have a quick pull type buckle and are real easy to use. The orange color ensures I’ll see them and not forget…..Just what I do and it cost a whole $8….
Picture??
Old 06-23-2022, 09:04 AM   #74

The findings of my investigation with BOTH solera and carefree.
The parts I bought do not fit either the solera awing or carefree slide topper.

The carefree topper has a built in anti billow lock shown in their instructions - Looks to be adjusted correctly so I'm good with the topper.

The Lippert/Solera awning according to my dealer service manager has a solenoid that engages a pin into the motor drum when the power is removed from the motor. He says the awning drum can't turn. He also said if I was concerned to wrap heavy tie wraps around the arm just below the head to the mounting bracket on the wall. He told me he had never had a Solera unfurl or billow.

When I asked lippert/Solera if the awing drum was in some way pinned or keyed to the awning drum shaft, they couldn't tell me but reiterated the same instructions the dealer gave me for tie wrapping the top of the arms as a precaution.

So I will try the tie wraps and pray both are right!

Has anyone had a solera power arm awning unfurl or billow?

Tags
awning