Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2021, 07:16 AM   #1

Awning question

Should the awning normally lay on top of a slide out when fully extended?
It seems that it could stretch and deform the fabric 2020 Cardinal 3750bkx
Bob K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:39 AM   #2

with the addition of slides on the curb side the awning fabric hitting the slide is a common problem in my view and makes the awning far less effective. I would think the fabric would show a wear mark after some years of use rubbing on the slide.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:33 AM   #3

Yes I agree. Theres far less usable shade area with this configuration. It appears that we can manually keep this hydraulic slide closed but then we can't access the kitchen or living room. There's so much we didn't know when we purchased this unit. Maybe our next camper will be the best one .
Bob K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:49 AM   #4
Canadian Member

If the awning is rubbing on the top of the slide frame, maybe you can put pool noodles or even pipe insulation on the corners to prevent chafing? You’d obviously need a ladder to put it up there. That configuration is OK when the slideout isn’t too deep but IMO a full 3-4’ deep slide is too big to put under an awning. On our Rockwood Signature, the door side (living room) slideout has an awning mounted on the face of the slideout. The down side is that there’s a space between the awnings. I had the dealer install a topper on the that slideout and when you extend the main awning it just slightly touches the roller for the topper.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
If the awning is rubbing on the top of the slide frame, maybe you can put pool noodles or even pipe insulation on the corners to prevent chafing? You’d obviously need a ladder to put it up there. That configuration is OK when the slideout isn’t too deep but IMO a full 3-4’ deep slide is too big to put under an awning. On our Rockwood Signature, the door side (living room) slideout has an awning mounted on the face of the slideout. The down side is that there’s a space between the awnings. I had the dealer install a topper on the that slideout and when you extend the main awning it just slightly touches the roller for the topper.

I've seen that on several other's RV's. A couple of shorter pieces also along the top edge to keep the material off the top edge.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, question