Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #1

Awning Repair Recommendation

Today, I discovered my awning has a tiny sliver of a slit (1/4" long) at the very top. I have no idea how that happened but my suspicion is that it occurred during the build at the factory. Why? Because the slit is minute and the cut is precise like a razor cut. My trailer is 14 months old and I've opened the awning twice.
So, what can I put on the cut to keep the awning from tearing further? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	231159  
Famoussenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:37 PM   #2

Depends what the awning is made of. I've heard of people using eternabond, white duct tape, vinyl repair kits among other things. Most repair both sides if using tape.

Camco makes a tape specific to repairing awnings.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42613-A.../dp/B004XNQLB2

I've not had the need to repair an awning so I can't really tell you which is best, only that I've seen posts from people using all the above. Might be a good topic to search the forums for and see if there are any threads discussing the repairs to get an feel for their success.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:48 PM   #3

I've tried the Camco Awning repair tape and I thought it was worthless.

The best thing I've found is Gorilla Tape Duct Tape. You can buy it in White (or other colors) at Walmart. As mentioned previously, put it on both sides. After a few years, you'll need to replace it
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:12 PM   #4
FLY4FUN

I'd try "VLP" (by Performix)) -- available on Ebay, Amazon and other sellers. It's a liquid & smells a lot like the model aircraft glue we used as kids...but, it works well on small tears or cracks. It comes in a small & affordable tube. It actually melts the vinyl slightly, causing it to "mend" and is clear, so not like a patch. If that doesn't work, you can always go on to plan B with tape or patch.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, repair