Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2018, 08:17 AM   #1

Awning spooling problem

Hi...I've recently purchased a 2014 Shamrock 233s (aka Rockwood Roo). It has the standard, very weak-armed electric awning.

The awning motor does spools close fine (most of the time), but the metal arms don't fit within each other when closed...they seem offset by an inch or so. I can force them to, but that seems sub-optimal.

I've also noticed that the awning itself doesn't spools straight...there is a bias to the roll-up as the awning closes.

I've seen some references to pulling the awning at the cylinder so that the spooling is straight. I've also seen that this may fix the awning arm issue. However, as hard as I've tried (and I literally almost broke my ribs trying), I can't get the awning to shift.

So what is the best way to approach this? How can I tell if the arms themselves need adjustment or the awning needs to re-positioned? Can I shift the awning at the RV itself instead of at the cylinder?

Thanks in advance.
pdalach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #2

I think you are on to the answer of fixing the lining up of the arms and fabric... you have to shift the awning in the groove of the roller...

I would try this... go to the Dollar Store and get a sray bottle of Awesome Cleaner $2... spray the entire length of the grove with the awning down... I would try to spray from the top and let that soapy. slippery cleaner cut through whatever crap is in that groove that is holding fast, then try with a helper to push/pull the awning and shift it in the groove...

I have yet to need to take off one of the end caps to expose the groove end, but I think that would be next then use a piece of wood dowel rod and hammer to tap on the awning in the groove...

good luck

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #3

When you say the awning arms don't fit within each other are you talking the top or bottom. If its the top and they are both going in the same direction then repositioning the fabric at the trailer (be sure to remove the zip screws holding the fabric) should straighten this. If it the bottom then more then likely one or both of the awning arms are bent. The bottom can be pushed in and held in place with a small bungee hooked in the small holes at the bottom of the main arm for travel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #4
Always Learning

Here's how I reposition the fabric:

- Full extend the awning to the point it stops going out
- Stand on a ladder at one end
- Firmly hold onto the tail of awning fabric that hangs down from the roller
- SHOVE the awning tube itself

Try the awning. Repeat from either end as necessary.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #5

The arms are shifted in the same direction at the top. So the preferred method is to shift the awning at the trailer, not the roller? If so, I see a couple of small screws...just remove these and tug?
Old 05-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdalach View Post
The arms are shifted in the same direction at the top. So the preferred method is to shift the awning at the trailer, not the roller? If so, I see a couple of small screws...just remove these and tug?
I've always shifted at the roller. If it has set screws at the trailer, that part didn't move.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:37 PM   #7

Quote:

I had this issue on my Sabre when I bought it last fall, I couldn’t get it to shift on the roller, so I took those screws out and tugged until it closed perfectly, the reseated the screws, took longer to get the ladder than to fix it.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #8

@Jeepchr...I'll give that a try. Tugging to hard on the roller makes me nervous that I may bend the arms. I also like that the awning doesn't slide on the roller...would hate to make that too loose.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
@Jeepchr...I'll give that a try. Tugging to hard on the roller makes me nervous that I may bend the arms. I also like that the awning doesn't slide on the roller...would hate to make that too loose.
I only rolled it a foot or so out if I remember right. I moved it then closed it so the arms seated correctly then put the screws back in.

Tags
awning