Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #1

Awning support

Hi all. I've got a Rockwood 2604WS with a 21 foot awning. The trailer isn't a year old and the awning roller is sagging in the middle. This is causing the awning to not fully retract. The arms don't "mesh" together when retracted because of the slight bend in the awning roller. Question. Does anyone have this problem and if so what have you done about it. I see that Carefree has a product called "Automatic Awning Support" which is mounted on the trailer wall just under the awning when it's retracted and automatically supports the awning at the mid-point, thus eliminating the sag when the awning is retracted and allowing it to fully retract to the stowed/travel position. I'd like to get this resolved before there is real damage done. Thanks
2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:13 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If I remember correctly, the center support is not made for electric awnings because of the force it takes to get the tube to rest on the support. There are inserts that go in the roller tube that stiffen it up and will help prevent the sag. I had the problem with my 21' awning and most was cured by centering the awning material on the roller tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:35 AM   #3

I have had the carefree awning support on my trailer for the 21 ft electric awning since new(4 years)with no problems. I recommend putting one on yours.
09grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:58 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Arm misalignment

Maggiek, Arms Misalignment is a sign your awning has slipped on the round tube. I just recently had the same problem. When closing the awning
(rolling up) the arms do not align, prevents complete closing.
Here is what you have to do. Open your awning about 5ft, attach tie down
straps (the ones with hooks on each end) to the top of the wall rail, hook one of the hooks to the top of the wall channel. Hook the other end to the
end of the extended channel at the point where the round tube is attached.
Do this at both ends of the awning. Adjust the tie down straps so they are equal in length, about 5FT. Now using the electric motor on the awning, unroll the awning all the way. It will sag way down. Don't worry, you have to relieve the tension on the awning so you can slide it on the two grooves
on the tube. Your awning should be equal distance on each end of the round tube from the end. You may have to roll the awning up and down
several times to get it properly aligned to close all the way with the arms
closing completely. This will align your awning on the tube to roll up straight on the round tube. Make sure you remove the tie downs before closing the awning all the way after shifting the awning on the tube.

After you have aligned the awning to roll up straight, open the awning all
the way for a final step of placing a "POP" rivet on the seam edge on the opposite end of the motor. The pop rivet should be between the two
grooves on the tube on the edge in the seam to prevent the awning ever slipping again on the tube. You should use a 3/16" button head aluminum
rivet with a aluminum mandrel. ( the part that snaps off) Your drill bit
should be a 3/16" size bit for drilling the hole. If need, I can provide pictures for this procedure. You should also place a stainless screw on the channel on the wall to hold the awning in place to prevent slipping on the wall groove.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:17 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Here is a picture of what is needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pop Rivet in Awning.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	98570  
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
If I remember correctly, the center support is not made for electric awnings because of the force it takes to get the tube to rest on the support. There are inserts that go in the roller tube that stiffen it up and will help prevent the sag. I had the problem with my 21' awning and most was cured by centering the awning material on the roller tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
This is ALL true,the Tetter Totter system needs aditional Help in order to Lift a 21' awning UP to Level agin! The inside X supports like OC has said before will Help decrease the Sag,But the Real issue with Large awning is going down the road the Sag and Movement Up/Down is Constant and to return to Strait takes some Upward effort! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:42 PM   #7

re:Awning Support

Thanks to all who forwarded suggestions to our sagging awning problem. Right now I'm sitting by the wood stove looking at the trailer as a Nor'Easter is plowing through, so it will be some time before I can get to try the solutions that have been suggested. When I get the trailer "summerized" in the spring I'll have the service tech do a realignment of the awning on the roller to ensure it opens and retracts properly and also have the support bracket installed. If these fail to eliminate the sag and not allow the awning to retract properly to the stowed/travel position, then I'll go through the expense of having an insert installed in the roller. The insert will be a last resort as there are no dealers for the MAGNA X 57 in our area and shipping the product from the manufacturer in Florida will be rather expensive. Again thanks to all who offered suggestions and I'll forward the results when the project is completed.
2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:48 PM   #8

Maggiek,you can Save on shipping,just go to Fla.next year! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiek View Post
Hi all. I've got a Rockwood 2604WS with a 21 foot awning. The trailer isn't a year old and the awning roller is sagging in the middle. This is causing the awning to not fully retract. The arms don't "mesh" together when retracted because of the slight bend in the awning roller. Question. Does anyone have this problem and if so what have you done about it. I see that Carefree has a product called "Automatic Awning Support" which is mounted on the trailer wall just under the awning when it's retracted and automatically supports the awning at the mid-point, thus eliminating the sag when the awning is retracted and allowing it to fully retract to the stowed/travel position. I'd like to get this resolved before there is real damage done. Thanks
I also have the Carefree Automatic Awning Support on mine as well. Works great. I wish it would have come with the unit when purchased new. I installed because of sag in the middle. Have not had any issues. Get one
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning