Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2014, 10:25 AM   #1

Awning with auto dumping feature

Anyone have an awning that automatically dumps rain water when it becomes excessive? When the salesman showed us the camper I asked him it it had this feature and said he never heard of that

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 03-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #2
Campfire Master

Unless I'm wrong (happens on a daily basis) all the electric awnings will auto dump. The problem as I see it, is that the awning holds way too much water before it does. The awning sags too much for my taste, and when it goes, it's quit a waterfall. I much prefer to tilt it and let the water run off.

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVid View Post
Unless I'm wrong (happens on a daily basis) all the electric awnings will auto dump. The problem as I see it, is that the awning holds way too much water before it does. The awning sags too much for my taste, and when it goes, it's quit a waterfall. I much prefer to tilt it and let the water run off.

John

Mine doesn't, it needs to be tilted. I don't see how they could auto dump actually. To dump you'd have to release the thumb screws on the arms and lower it. The only thing the motor could have done was retract the awning, which would again would require the thumb screws to be loose.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #4

Ours is an electric awning and will auto dump. If I'm around, I will still lower one corner, however, it is nice to know it lowers itself and dumps the water to prevent damage.

If yours is electric? If so, extend it out and simply pull on one of the corners (if within reach). With some pressure it will give and dip down. That feature will not work if you lock the twist locking knobs.
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #5

I have not had mine out in the rain yet, next week looks like an option.

Just curious as to what it will or will not do.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
Carknocker Family

If you are standing in the wrong place when it does decide to work. Its quite a waterfall. I just angle ours to let the water run off and not pool on top.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #7
Campfire Master

The awnings that have the shock absorber looking struts will auto dump. The A&E's will, not sure about CareFree. Mine will auto dump, and I can also tilt it.

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #8

if your awning has this knob adjustment,all you have to do is leave it loose,or adjust the arm so that the awning is tilted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	armadjust.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	47354  
Old 03-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Awning with auto dumping feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljag View Post
Ours is an electric awning and will auto dump. If I'm around, I will still lower one corner, however, it is nice to know it lowers itself and dumps the water to prevent damage.

If yours is electric? If so, extend it out and simply pull on one of the corners (if within reach). With some pressure it will give and dip down. That feature will not work if you lock the twist locking knobs.

Alright, I could see that. I wouldn't call it an auto dump, I'd call it not locking it in place and letting it collapse under the weight. Still easier to keep one side sloped and let it run off though.

When I hear auto dump I'm expecting a system that monitors the tension on the awning and would drive down one side to let the awning dump.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

I just tie it down with awning poles with one side about 6" lower and forget it.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by realebill View Post
if your awning has this knob adjustment,all you have to do is leave it loose,or adjust the arm so that the awning is tilted.
Yes, it will as this is how it is designed. However, boy does it bang around in a light breeze and you can never tell which side will decide to unload.

Keeping a quarter wrap of awning material on the top of the roller will prevent water from pooling in the first place. Over extension, as pictured, will create a gully that will let water accumulate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2713704920103306375S500x500Q85.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	47361  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Yes, it will as this is how it is designed. However, boy does it bang around in a light breeze and you can never tell which side will decide to unload.

Keeping a quarter wrap of awning material on the top of the roller will prevent water from pooling in the first place. Over extension, as pictured, will create a gully that will let water accumulate.
Need to add "unless tilted".
Old 03-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #13

When the (Elect.A&E) first came out they (Didn't) have the slotted arms for (Dump or Drop) they had a (Kit) that you had to (ASK) for that the Dealer would put on. They kept it (Low Key) but it was Free! Youroo!! PS without support Poles these Awning are useless!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #14

I've had screws tightened tight by hand, weigh of water easily over came that small thread. Usually with a bang!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
When the (Elect.A&E) first came out they (Didn't) have the slotted arms for (Dump or Drop) they had a (Kit) that you had to (ASK) for that the Dealer would put on. They kept it (Low Key) but it was Free! Youroo!! PS without support Poles these Awning are useless!
X2
Old 03-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to dhatfield6
Unhappy Poor design on Forest Rivers part "IMO"

My 2013 380 AMP, which has the 20' awning and the galley slide which goes all the way to the top of the RV (under the 20' awning) has what you and Forest River call the "auto dump feature". Mine will dump due to excessive water, even if the thumb screws have been tighten down and the awning sloped!

The only problem, and it is a major problem is that the water pools on the awning between the outer edge of the extended slide out and the side of the RV. So even after the weight of the water causes the one corner to automatically dump, the water pooled over the extended slide out never will dump!

My awning, already has a belly in it and sags on to the front corner of the awning which in time is going to ruin the material itself. Any one who has a 380 AMP must be having the same problem due to the design.
[FONT=Arial]Trips in 2013-(4) Nights Camped-(56) Trips in 2014-(5), Nights Camped-(60)
Trips in 2015-(4) Nights Camped-(44) Trips in 2016-(2) Nights Camped-(17)
dhatfield6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #17

The QBOK has a 20' awning, and even though I love the covered space, it is more susceptible to water weigh and sagging prior to "dumping". I also prefer lowering one side so I can somewhat control the sag effect and can direct where the water runs off. As others have said, the dump can be a large amount and you never know when and where it will happen. Our OK slide out is not under the awning but I do have a sag issue with the slide toppers, especially over the living room slide. When it rains it sags down to the top of the slide. How do those that have this same issue address it? I have read where some put a beach ball under the topper/on top of the slide..any other suggestions?
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhatfield6 View Post
My 2013 380 AMP, which has the 20' awning and the galley slide which goes all the way to the top of the RV (under the 20' awning) has what you and Forest River call the "auto dump feature". Mine will dump due to excessive water, even if the thumb screws have been tighten down and the awning sloped!

The only problem, and it is a major problem is that the water pools on the awning between the outer edge of the extended slide out and the side of the RV. So even after the weight of the water causes the one corner to automatically dump, the water pooled over the extended slide out never will dump!

My awning, already has a belly in it and sags on to the front corner of the awning which in time is going to ruin the material itself. Any one who has a 380 AMP must be having the same problem due to the design.
I would highly recommend a set of poles to permit you to tie the awning down so the material is taut from the unit to the slide out. Whether you use my poles or some other. I will have more brackets later this month. My pole kit will extend to approx. 112" from the ground to the awning bracket.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I would highly recommend a set of poles to permit you to tie the awning down so the material is taut from the unit to the slide out. Whether you use my poles or some other. I will have more brackets later this month. My pole kit will extend to approx. 112" from the ground to the awning bracket.

Great timing! I was looking for your posts I had read earlier about the pole kits you design/sell. I am very interested but have a few questions. What do you use as tie downs and do you keep your awning out in high winds? What is the cost of our kits? You can PM me if you would rather answer that way. Thanks!
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:48 AM   #20

Mine dumps! I tilt the one side down a little and use my homemade awning poles. If it still gets a lot of rain.....I have watched the little shock collapse and the water dump.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning