Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2015, 08:21 PM   #1

Bedroom Escape window missing

Arrived home and realized that our bed room escape window was missing....Better half said she was sure she locked it......However, had to order entire window glass & frame from FR..CC..$385.00 cdn dollars/shipping and taxes included......J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #2

Emerg Exit Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
Arrived home and realized that our bed room escape window was missing....Better half said she was sure she locked it......However, had to order entire window glass & frame from FR..CC..$385.00 cdn dollars/shipping and taxes included......J
Installed the new window frame on Saturday......After a careful examination of the old window I noticed that the top of the window does not have a metal hinge as such and the original window must have broken away at the top..Therefore the window was locked!!!..We used this window daily/nightly when we were in Fl for three & half months last year and this year and a few times last summer... The new window came with a "red" sticker stating that this window is for emergency use only and instructions how it is to be opened.....Hence....opening and closing it must have weakened the top "connection across the top of the window"...The original did not have that sticker....

Just passing on this in case someone else opens this window to allow fresh air to circulate.".ie Read the fine print" ---A costly mistake.... J
Old 06-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #3

Your Not the first person to (Lose a Escape Window) seems like it happens on 5th Wheels more than TT? (For Emergency Only) not for Daily use? PS did you ever try to use it? Quite a LONG way down after you scrape your (Arms/belly/legs/and hit your Chin)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Your Not the first person to (Lose a Escape Window) seems like it happens on 5th Wheels more than TT? (For Emergency Only) not for Daily use? PS did you ever try to use it? Quite a LONG way down after you scrape your (Arms/belly/legs/and hit your Chin)! Youroo!!
I guess with flames lickin at your #@^*** you would use it !!!!!!
Old 06-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #5
RiderBloke

Well I never would have thought about that. My 26RR has two of these and unless you open them there is no air circulation in the bedroom or the dining area of the trailer, although in good weather one can leave the ramp door down if you have the screen.
This is poor design. Has anyone thought of a way to strengthen the plastic hinge before it lets go?

Sent from somewhere on the face of the earth with my iPad using Forest River Forums
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderBloke View Post
Well I never would have thought about that. My 26RR has two of these and unless you open them there is no air circulation in the bedroom or the dining area of the trailer, although in good weather one can leave the ramp door down if you have the screen.
This is poor design. Has anyone thought of a way to strengthen the plastic hinge before it lets go?

Sent from somewhere on the face of the earth with my iPad using Forest River Forums
My Jayco TT had a 2 pc metal hinge the full length of the glass...All one had to do was to open it and slide it off the hinge........we thought the FR was the same design.....obviously not so!!!!!! J
Old 06-23-2015, 08:14 AM   #7
RiderBloke

That's the sort of thing I'd like. I'll look into that, especially when I am at the FROG Rally with all the hours I'll have to spare. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
Old 06-23-2015, 08:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderBloke View Post
That's the sort of thing I'd like. I'll look into that, especially when I am at the FROG Rally with all the hours I'll have to spare. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It would be interesting to hear what they say about this.....We always liked the fresh air from this window especially at night....J
Old 07-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #9
RiderBloke

I asked my dealer yesterday (while they checked my trailer for a recall which, luckily, doesn't pertain to mine). He said he uses those windows on his and also all their rental trailers have them and they are used a lot and he's never had trouble.
I suggest you keep an eye on the plastic hinge material especially if it has had a lot of extreme heat. It should show signs of cracking or crazing if there's a problem.
A proper metal hinge would be the solution if there is one that could be made to fit.
BTW: I found that the handles easily disengage allowing the window to close if brushed against or need so my solution - pull a wooden clothes peg apart and the leg of the peg fits nicely into the space above the handle and holds it. 😊

Sent from my iPhone somewhere on the face of the earth using Forest River Forums
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
Old 07-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Our window opened while traveling (my fault as I must have bumped it loose getting up that morning). Luckily a friendly motorist flagged us down before we lost it.

I could not see it was open from the cab as the window in not viewable in the side mirror.

Because mine had a metal hinge, I was able to remove it and repair it with pop-rivets. The handle now has a pull pin before it can be opened.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #11

We just lost our hinge window on our fifth wheel. It was not latched properly and it came off driving into a north wind. Waiting for a new window now😕

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
kylecolby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, roo