Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #1

Best way to clean the awning

Well, the title says it all. I need a good cleane and method for cleaning my awning. No matter what I do, as far as cleaning it and letting it dry completely, nice I roll it up...the next I've it always has some mold or dirt, and always seems to have water in there too...anyway, so after my Memorial Day trip I did my usual wash, which is car soap in a bucket and I use a brush on a pole, and I was and rinse the underside, and allow to dry. Well I couldn't get e dry thing off. Anyone have some good tips, perhaps something I can spray on and rinse off that will get it clean...I was thinking about eying scrubbing bubbles.

2015 Dodge 2500 Big Horn 4x4 6.4 HEMI
2015 Grand Designs Reflections 323 BHS
Reese 16K Quick Slide with Factory Rail Kit Option
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #2

A light bleach solution will work on the mold. The underneath side is white, but would be very cautious about using it on the top side.
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzy View Post
Well, the title says it all. I need a good cleane and method for cleaning my awning. No matter what I do, as far as cleaning it and letting it dry completely, nice I roll it up...the next I've it always has some mold or dirt, and always seems to have water in there too...anyway, so after my Memorial Day trip I did my usual wash, which is car soap in a bucket and I use a brush on a pole, and I was and rinse the underside, and allow to dry. Well I couldn't get e dry thing off. Anyone have some good tips, perhaps something I can spray on and rinse off that will get it clean...I was thinking about eying scrubbing bubbles.
Go to the Dollar Store and pick up a cheep spray bottle of Awesome. Spray it on right out of the bottle, soft brush it and rinse. Let it dry completely before rolling it up. Awesome is used to clean anything and it works wonderful on awning's

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

X2

LA's Totally Awesome cleaner works great on the awning!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsthetwoofus View Post
Go to the Dollar Store and pick up a cheep spray bottle of Awesome. Spray it on right out of the bottle, soft brush it and rinse. Let it dry completely before rolling it up. Awesome is used to clean anything and it works wonderful on awning's
YES, "Awesome" is great stuff and it works well on black marks as well and you can buy refills....I posted this a few years ago
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #6

Awesome it is. I will get some tomorrow and give if a shot

2015 Dodge 2500 Big Horn 4x4 6.4 HEMI
2015 Grand Designs Reflections 323 BHS
Reese 16K Quick Slide with Factory Rail Kit Option
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzy View Post
Awesome it is. I will get some tomorrow and give if a shot
Awesome!! Can't help myself..

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Kozzy,
Just to give you an idea. Here are before and after shots of the worst corner of my awning this year. I made a mistake in the fall, got lazy and did not clean it before winterizing. Mildew grows on the accumulated dirt.

The process I used was to dilute the concentrated Awesome, spray it on the underside (make sure to wear safety goggles and old clothes), climb on top of my camper and spray it on the topside of the awning, roll up and let it sit for 30 minutes. Unroll the awning and wipe off with a mop and water. I used a ladder and one of those green scouring pads for the tough areas like this corner. Rinse top and bottom with a hose when done cleaning. Let dry and roll up the awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning - before.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	31629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning - after.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	31630  

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 05-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
Steve Jackson

Just like Kozzy when ever I wash the awning let it dry and roll it up the next time I put it out it's all wet. How is the rain getting so deep into the awning when it's rolled up? I can understand on the edges but it"s all the way through. I try and keep it open as much as possible at home but in the northeast we get a lot of winds and don't want the awning to get damaged.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #10

I use either the Awesome, or a bleach solution, soak the awning, then roll it up and let it set for 1/2 hr. Then unroll and dirt etc comes off with a light scrub of the brush.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
Dallas Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Kozzy,
Just to give you an idea. Here are before and after shots of the worst corner of my awning this year. I made a mistake in the fall, got lazy and did not clean it before winterizing. Mildew grows on the accumulated dirt.

The process I used was to dilute the concentrated Awesome, spray it on the underside (make sure to wear safety goggles and old clothes), climb on top of my camper and spray it on the topside of the awning, roll up and let it sit for 30 minutes. Unroll the awning and wipe off with a mop and water. I used a ladder and one of those green scouring pads for the tough areas like this corner. Rinse top and bottom with a hose when done cleaning. Let dry and roll up the awning.
That looks Awesome!

Have you tried spraying it with something like Armorall after it dries to see of the mildew doesn't come back?
Old 06-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Kozzy,

I'm going to have to buy. It looks like it did a wonderful job, better then when I use a bleach mixture.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBBQ View Post
That looks Awesome!

Have you tried spraying it with something like Armorall after it dries to see of the mildew doesn't come back?
That's an idea I've not tried but worth considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamarie View Post
I'm going to have to buy. It looks like it did a wonderful job, better then when I use a bleach mixture.
I find it works better than the bleach mixture I used to use.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 06-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #14

I unroll about a foot and use warm water and Mr Clean erasers ..
and then do another and another foot
and then the same on the underside , usually takes about 5-10 erasers , but works great
subzeroschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #15

I've been using Tilex Mildew Cleaner with Bleach to clean mine but Awesome is much cheaper at the dollar store. Will give that a try next time. Thanks for the posts.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:52 AM   #16

I have found that (Dollar General) Mean Green Mold and Mildew Remover works great! Hit the tough spots with a magic erasure. I use the 303 AreoSpace Formula to prevent mold/mildew.
another tip: if you have the black streaks down the side of the camper the Campco Black Streak remover sucks, spray on full strength Simple Green and they melt away with a little help from a magic erasure they are gone completely.
chugger22 is offline   Reply With Quote