Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2021, 06:45 PM   #1

Question Brand new awning not doing anything.

I just bought a 2021 forest river Salem Cruz light and the awning went out and came back in at the dealership as soon as I got home parked it, it wouldn't go out. Took camping levelled it better wouldn't go out. Got home levelled it up wouldn't go out. I'm going to report this and a few other issues to the dealer. But is there any thing I missing that I should try?
Treenbean33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:58 PM   #2

Check the battery disconnect
Old 03-27-2021, 07:07 PM   #3
New here, old elsewhere

Here is what I would do:

1: See if you're getting 12V power in the TT
2: See if you're getting power to the motor with the switch in each position
If you have power going to the motor check the connections first before assuming the motor is bad.
3: If no power at the motor, check for a blown fuse and then for power going to the switch
4: Finally check to see if you have power after the switch.

This will narrow down the problem and should be easy enough to do without major disassembly assuming you have a meter or test light.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:26 PM   #4

Awnings run off battery power, so as emm-dee suggested check the battery disconnect switch . Otherwise, make certain your batteries are charged.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:20 PM   #5

Bet the fuse at the battery is blown.
With the trailer NOT plugged in to the tow vehicle OR to a power plug via the shore power plug...
1. do you have any12 VDC power at all, like lights in the trailer or ceiling exhaust fan?

2. plug the trailer into 110 VAC via the trailer plug
YOU MAY need to go to Walmart and purchase an adapter plug like shown below o be able to plug into a residential plug.

3. does this restore power to lights and/or fan?

If yes try the awning. It may go slow, but does it work?

4. Look to the battery. Follow the positive wire under the trailer frame to a 4x4 electrical box. Look for a 1/2 inch by 1 inch fuse with a small black button like pictured below. Push the button to reset the fuse. This fuse trips often when a battery s placed and hooked up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adapter.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	250579  
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:20 AM   #6
rfifer

The issue may also be a motor failure. Our awning extended one day and then we could not retract it with the motor. We pushed it up against the trailer and lashed it against the side with a long length of nylon rope I always carry with me in the truck. I checked the power - it had power going to it. Then I found and checked the fuse - fuse was still good. Had the motor replaced and it works fine now. But replacing the motor was what it took in my case to get the awning operational again.
TV F-150
rfifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:26 AM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenbean33 View Post
I just bought a 2021 forest river Salem Cruz light and the awning went out and came back in at the dealership as soon as I got home parked it, it wouldn't go out. Took camping levelled it better wouldn't go out. Got home levelled it up wouldn't go out. I'm going to report this and a few other issues to the dealer. But is there any thing I missing that I should try?
Take the advice of everyone here to troubleshoot this on your own.
If you hand the rig back to your dealer......you may not see it for MONTHS!!!
Seriously.....the backlog of RV activity, both in sales and service is delaying everything like never seen before. Thanks COVID.

You need to become a do it yourself person with RV units.
It’s the nature of the beast.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:42 AM   #8

This could be just as simple as a loose wire connection. ( most likely). Start at your awning in / out switch. If you have a volt meter and know how to use it, start there. From there work your way out checking the wiring thru the awning arms which end up at the motor in the awning roll up bar. If you don't have voltage at the switch, then work your way back toward the voltage source. Don't skip any steps. You might skip right over the problem.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning