Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #1

Broken Awning Attachment ... Ideas?

Hi all, I am in a Forrest River Wildwood X-Lite, A gust of wind caught my awning and it appears where the awning attaches to the RV, the bottom of the pole snapped off (picture attached). It appears to be a clean break, not sure if this is a molded form or if the end is somehow welded on in construction. Any ideas on how to fix this ... can I buy a "weld" of some type to Hone Depot, etc to re-attach the end? You can see in the pics the clean gray area where it was attached. Thanks, Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140323_111333 post.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	48230   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140323_111327 post.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	48231  
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Hi all, I am in a Forrest River Wildwood X-Lite, A gust of wind caught my awning and it appears where the awning attaches to the RV, the bottom of the pole snapped off (picture attached). It appears to be a clean break, not sure if this is a molded form or if the end is somehow welded on in construction. Any ideas on how to fix this ... can I buy a "weld" of some type to Hone Depot, etc to re-attach the end? You can see in the pics the clean gray area where it was attached. Thanks, Bill
I would take it off and take it to a welding shop and have it tig welded.

Suggest using straps & dirt screws and tying it down in the future.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #3

I would pull it off and have a shop weld it and then order a new one from the manufacture just in case the welder got it wrong.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You can try calling Dometic and see if they sell a replacement part...it's referenced as a 'patio foot' in their installation instructions. It's riveted to the bottom of the awning arm.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
You can try calling Dometic and see if they sell a replacement part...it's referenced as a 'patio foot' in their installation instructions. It's riveted to the bottom of the awning arm.

Dave
x's 2 dave It would be better to order a new end. I just do not like these power awnings, If I could have I would have got the pull down with legs and everything already. Never had a problem with them, but FR said no.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post

Dave
That's what I woud do too.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
x's 2 dave It would be better to order a new end. I just do not like these power awnings, If I could have I would have got the pull down with legs and everything already. Never had a problem with them, but FR said no.
gljurczyk, as lazy as you are, you'd never expend the effort to manually deploy and stake down 2 awnings, you don't even want to press 2 buttons to deploy stab jacks.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #8

Thanks everyone ... it is the Patio Foot on the manual awning that is riveted on. It broke, I see now after everyone's help, at the Rivet connection. I will have to order a new one and get it riveted. Of course, I was getting up to take in the awning when the gust hit. I had the awning angled out from the RV and not disconnected and staked to the ground. I reckon that may have made a difference, it would have pulled out of the ground vice being anchored to the RV. - Cheers, Bill
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Thanks everyone ... it is the Patio Foot on the manual awning that is riveted on. It broke, I see now after everyone's help, at the Rivet connection. I will have to order a new one and get it riveted. Of course, I was getting up to take in the awning when the gust hit. I had the awning angled out from the RV and not disconnected and staked to the ground. I reckon that may have made a difference, it would have pulled out of the ground vice being anchored to the RV. - Cheers, Bill
I don't think it is riveted to the camper, it should be lag bolted. I would still take it off and take it to a welding shop and have it tig welded. You can always order a new one, but why? Take a welding shop about 5 minutes to weld.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #10

It is a (Manual Awning) he had it deployed (Without) hold down straps,wind came up and this is the result. Lucky both bottom brackets didn't break,and the whole Awning flip over the Roof. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning