Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #1

Clean up and reseal

SWMBO and I purchased a Forest River Coachman Clipper to replace a R-Pod 171 that was nothing but junk. Anyway when we got it home and started the process "making it ours" we discovered every window and opening had silicon smeared in globs, looked like an ape with a caulking gun had gone wild. Sorry that was an insult to apes, any ape would have done better!

I am in the process of removing each window and any other item penetrating to exterior walls and cleaning all the silicon off (what a pain). To reseal I tried using Dicor Non Sag but it made such a mess , stringing and hard to clean up no matter what I tried so I switched to putty. I think it looks great and is so easy to shape and clean up so the question is do you think it will hold up?

Quality control at FR has got to be non existent to let them out of the door looking like this.
Ky-N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
Done with this

SWMBO.....Somebody has been reading!

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #3
Plain Old Member

If your resetting the windows (removing and reinstalling), butyl tape is one of the best methods, or eternabond makes a sealant tape just for this if you want it really stuck. There is putty tape, then there is butyl, BIG difference in the 2. If perimeter sealing (top and sides) after the window is installed, geocel proflex clear is probably one of the best ones out there.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:26 PM   #4

The local RV dealer had putty on a roll and Dicor leveling and non leveling caulk, not much else for sealing. The butyl tape, does it work like the putty? Using putty and plenty of it so that the putty squishes out around the frame and then trimming off the excess flush to the frame. With it flush like that is it necessary to had anything else like the proflex for protection?

To get butyl tape or proflex I would have to order it on line and would like to know how easy it is to work with before ordering.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
Canadian Member

You should be able to get both off amazon if you can't find them locally.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #6
Plain Old Member

Putty will not last near as long. Butyl is way more tacky and has better sealing properties. Comes in a roll of many different sizes. I typically use 1/2" wide by 1/8" thick on windows. Most manf use putty in a lot of places, it's cheaper. I've gotten my butyl tape from several places, but the most recent was www.bestmaterials.com. The geocel proflex can be found at a lot of dealers, or online at PPL, camping world, amazon and just about anywhere else really. The butyl is as easy to work with as the putty, just a way better material. Just ask a glass place. On the proflex, it's a little different than a silicone. It's not a silicone at all. The stuff will stick to anything, and good. Only place you really can't use it is on the roof. It has a quick set time and is real gooey, but better than anything else on the market in my opinion, and others. With most sealers, you run the bead, and smooth with your finger after dipping in water. With the proflex, only run 2-3 feet, and smooth after dipping your finger in "mineral spirits". It won't work worth a flip smoothing with water. If you make long runs, you'll find it already trying to set up before you smooth it.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:52 PM   #7
Canadian Member

BigJohnD, you're right about the Pro Flex Sealant setting fairly quickly. It's great stuff and it's all I use on vertical seams. I always use soapy water on my finger to smooth it out.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies, gonna see about getting some better supplies.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:46 PM   #9

Over time putty will ooze out and create a mess. My rig is 10 years old and putty still oozing. It also attracts dirt and turns black.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote