Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #1

Defective Entry Door Rockwood 2013

Bought my MiniLite 2109S in March and since day-one, the entry door has been pretty difficult to close, especially from the inside. Since the bottom of the door seemed to have slid to the left, it had etched the inside of the frame, so dealer ordered and installed a new entry door.

Checking the work before I pulled off the lot, I noticed that the top of the screen door, was now hitting the frame----dealer took a crow bar and pushed down on the screen, so it would not hit the frame.

I had mentioned that the entry door was still difficult to close, from the inside, in fact, I had to 'slam' the door shut. Imagine, 3am at a campground and the dog has to go potty.....and you CANNONT quietly close the door....you have to slam it! Dealer said that this was how they were making the doors now, with the seals and being water-tight. He said it was the nature of the beast.

Camping this weekend and it was hot, the door was even harder to close and open. I had to appologize to my camping neighbors for the door slamming. And I even noticed that the new door was etching the new frame.....de-ja-vu. Just got back from dropping TT at the dealer, who said he would make it right.....we'll see.

HAS ANYONE ELSE had trouble with their entry doors?
Sargent's Fox Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #2

Has anyone experienced entry door problems????
Old 08-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #3

No, Sorry, My Mini's doors are fine. Your not using your stabilizer jacks to level the camper are you? If they are torqued too much, strange things can happen to your doors/windows/drawers.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2503S View Post
No, Sorry, My Mini's doors are fine. Your not using your stabilizer jacks to level the camper are you? If they are torqued too much, strange things can happen to your doors/windows/drawers.
No, I lower the stabilizers until they reach the ground and when I feel some resistance...then I stop....I never over-torque them, learned that lesson of over-torqued stabilizer affecting the door, with old pop-up.

Actually, I put a speed square on the sill where it meets the frame....it was 1/8" out of square.

Personally, I think the hole in the side of the trailer that the door unit is inserted into, is just a fraction too small...therefore causing too much stress on the latch side of the door, to fit into a smaller frame opening.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #5

I have been having increasing problems with my door on my Wildcat Maxx, but the hole appears too big. It started out being hard to close, especially from the inside. Last trip out, we forget to lock it and it came open during the night and during transit on the way home. Tonight, it would not close at all. I finally got it to stay closed with the deadbolt, but I could pull it open if I had to. I have other warranty work to have done, so I will have them do something about this as well.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #6

Fixed at last....I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent's Fox Hole View Post
No, I lower the stabilizers until they reach the ground and when I feel some resistance...then I stop....I never over-torque them, learned that lesson of over-torqued stabilizer affecting the door, with old pop-up.

Actually, I put a speed square on the sill where it meets the frame....it was 1/8" out of square.

Personally, I think the hole in the side of the trailer that the door unit is inserted into, is just a fraction too small...therefore causing too much stress on the latch side of the door, to fit into a smaller frame opening.
Well, just an update for anyone reading my door problem. After 2 weeks at the dealer, they finally discovered, what I already knew....the bottom of the door frame was 1/8" out of square!!!! They squared up the latch side of the door frame and it is ALOT easier to open and close!!!! YEAH, lets go camping.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedscastle View Post
I have been having increasing problems with my door on my Wildcat Maxx, but the hole appears too big. It started out being hard to close, especially from the inside. Last trip out, we forget to lock it and it came open during the night and during transit on the way home. Tonight, it would not close at all. I finally got it to stay closed with the deadbolt, but I could pull it open if I had to. I have other warranty work to have done, so I will have them do something about this as well.
Have you had any luck on your door problem?
Old 09-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #8

I pried the latch plate out until I could get it to stay closed. I have an appointment this week to have it looked at.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #9

Just had a chance to take my trailer in recently and they will be replacing the door.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #10

Mine is not a Rockwood but my door was the same, Very hard to close and my wife could hardly pull the latch from outside to open the door.

Most doors are made by Lippert and my dealer replaced mine with a new one as well.

Works excellent now!!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #11

My new RV, Wildwood 2014 (Park model) First winter: My campsite owner informed me that the back door of my RV was open.He took out the snow in my trailer, and then proceeded to close the door with difficulty, because the door openings no longer corresponded to the openings on the door frame. He managed to secure the door. PLEASE NOTICE that the door was locked. It is no longer locked caused by the damage door.

Sorry for my english, I am a french Canadian from Quebec.

In the same week I learned by an other owner on The same campsite whom purchased the same kind, a Wildwood 2014, that they had four windows that exploded and that I had two windows broken. We had the openings secured but our dealer told us that the windows were not garanteed. I think that it is a MANUFACTUROR DEFAULT
Has any one heard of a such thing!
Calinedebinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:18 PM   #12

I gonna guess your trailer is not level at this point which could be the reason your door will not latch.
As for the windows in the Wildwood there could be a hundred reasons for the windows to "blow out" how much snow is on the roof?
Old 02-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #13

The other couple who has four windows exploded had their dealer park their trailer and is still on the tires. They had their trailer delivered on the campsite when the camping season was over. It was levelled by the dealer. Mine is on four cages composed of six by six treated wood like most of the trailer park on my campsite are installed. It is very weird that the two trailers had windows broken. Itīs been 31 year that I am on the same campsite and I never had problems with my other trailers nor haerd of such a problem.

My confidence is shaken.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:47 PM   #14

Where are the four wood box cribs located on the ends or near the middle?

Best case is there should be 6 or 8 to offer full support.

Did they pull the tires off?
Old 02-14-2014, 08:02 PM   #15

Windows.

Dear Mr. Idaho,

Finally I have eight wood box creebs, four each side. I do not understand why the other couple has four windows that bursted with the trailer on the tires and mine fully secured with eight boxes.

Thank you very mutch for your reply. It is a really a mystery!
Old 02-14-2014, 08:34 PM   #16

Could the trailer have been broken into? Did the window glass come into the trailer to is it outside? This is a strange winter for bad weather the trailer could have shifted with frost. If you have four boxes per side one to the boxes could have lifted more then the other.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calinedebinne View Post
Dear Mr. Idaho,

Finally I have eight wood box creebs, four each side. I do not understand why the other couple has four windows that bursted with the trailer on the tires and mine fully secured with eight boxes.

Thank you very mutch for your reply. It is a really a mystery!
Very cool, does the door now work normally?

And yes it is one of those little things in life that makes you wonder.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:21 AM   #18

i went to the campsite this week and found that I have another window broken. As for my door I cannot close it the openings on the door does not correpond with the openings on the frame. I cannot lock the door ,it is only secured with a broom on the outside. A professionnel glazier came to the campsite and found that thentempered glass was sitting directly on the metal frame. We have now on the campsite three trailer of the same brand, same year that has such problems. the doors and the windows. There are about 60 tailers on the campsite and we are the only ones with such a problem. Itīs been 31 years that I am on the same campsite, and nothing like this occured.

Tags
2013, door, rockwood